Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Honeymoon Nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2006

My husband and I decided to get married in California, bringing our whole family with us. We booked rooms for everyone at Embassy as my husband had fond memories of staying there as a child. It was awful!!! We were told on the phone we would be given "the best" rooms, which were corner business suites (they don't have a honeymoon suite)--so we paid extra for everyone to have the nicer rooms. We got to the hotel first and were told that the reservations had been screwed up and NO ONE would get the nicer rooms (it took them ALL DAY to figure this out, and we had to WAIT)--some of the rooms weren't even ready! Some of our family had to wait hours for their rooms to become available. At the end of the day we were told that the family that had to wait for their rooms would end up getting the nicer rooms, but the joke was on us. It never happened. And the customer service staff was rude. We also had our wedding flowers delivered to the hotel, but the staff messed that up as well--we were waiting in our wedding clothes (in the lobby next to the front desk) for the flowers to arrive but the staff never let us know the flowers were there. We waited for an hour and the flowers were at the front desk the whole time! We ended up leaving without the flowers thinking they were never delivered and we not able to use them (BIG waste of money). These were only a few examples of the poor customer service at this hotel. We will never stay here again. We were so disappointed. The hotel almost ruined one of the most important events in our lives. Oh, and did I mention the rude service staff??? We've had better experiences at Best Western and Holiday Inn Express.

• Liked — It's beautiful inside
  • Disliked — Customer service was the worst we
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
20 Thank HappyNewlyweds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2006

Clean rooms, good bar service, and good breakfast. My wife and I had stayed at an Embassy Suites near San Fran airport the night before. The foam pillows had heart her neck. She requested a down pillow at this Embassy. The staff dropped off the pillow in our room while we were at dinner. This is not something I would expect in this category of hotel. Embassy should consider providing this at all their hotels.

The only bad thing about this Embassy and all Embassy Suites is the large number of children. But, you can not fault the hotel on this.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2006

Despite the look and location of this hotel, you will not enjoy your stay. However, if you must stay here and you do not enjoy it, the nice thing is that they will refund your money all you have to do is tell them you were not satisfied.

We arrived late, the room was dirty. The front desk was nice but the managers were complete jerks! Especially the night manager (a bald skinny fellow)who treated us poorly.

The previous posts explains why the staff was yelling at our kids to stop running and playing in the Atrium. I guess there are many uptight guests there that do not like kids and when they complain, the staff yells at us.

One night we were ordering take out at the bar and the manager of the restaurant yelled at us to get our kids out of there.

Numerous episodes of unprofessionalism abound, I was quite surprised at the lack of respect and courtesy through out my stay.

The pool was absolutely horrid. Much too small for a hotel this size. There were about 20 kids diving and splashing, not even sure if they were guests.

If you are a family and want a nice place to stay, I don't recommend this. If you are a business traveler...get this...they charge EXTRA for INternet!!! When every other hotel offers it free, you have to pay $10 a day for it and the speed is so slow you will pull your hair out!!!! As I was saying, if you are a business traveler, be sure to ask for your refund if you must stay here!

Stayed March 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2005

We arrived at this hotel late afternoon at check-in time. After waiting in a short line find out our room is not ready and will be ready in a couple of hours! Great already passed check-in someone is not doing their job! We look around hotel appears to be nice and peaceful. Finally come back and check-in after big ordeal because god forbid we want to pay cash, but they still want to charge our card after many words and words with a very uneducated manager it works out. When checking in I ask the girl for a room away from the eleavator because of traffic. She says ok when given our key we ask where room is and it is right in front of the eleavator! Hello where you not listening? Well, get that fixed room is on the top floor so we think this will be good. Yeah right! Unpacking and we hear this screaming, not yelling, really loud, our kids were worried. Open the door walk out into the hall and hear that it is the kid next door(only one who was louder then 2 of ours) Ok so he should stop and it was a one off. So we go out for a while and come back to enjoy the pool with the kids 10 and 12. Get down to the pool it was ok until it starts getting busy, kids running, jumping, watering was going everywhere. We were telling our kids not to do things and the other kids were doing dangerous things as the parents read their paper. In my opion the pool was to small for the size of the hotel. We tried the pool many times and only once was it fine. Our kids did not want to go because it was crazy. Well, back upstairs and guess what the kid is back screaming and screaming and this was at 10 pm. This kid was about 6 years old, we did not understand why the parents would allow it to go on for so long! Maybe this kid should not travel until he can be good. We have taught our kids to act like they are at home. No yelling, running etc. Finally, get to sleep and wake to go to breakfast,another fight just to get a clean table. Ended up not going all mornings because of this. Our room itself was fine but you could hear the noise from below and next door. It was now the weekend and lucky us the peaceful business men on the other side of us had checked out. A group of twenty year olds arrive at 1 am with a big parade. Yelling,swearing, in and out with the door banging. I stuck my head out and told them we were sleeping and the kids were scared. They said ok we will be good. I don't think so ,called down to the front desk and complained they stopped but then returned hours latter talking about taking drugs! The next day we went to check-out early were sick of the niose, is it too much to ask for manners in these hotels? Can people not shut their doors gentley to respect others? Talked to the manager who offered us a discount but I demanded the last night refunded which he said ok. But it would have to be a check which was not good! We do not live in the country and we paid cash! Hello! The girl told us they do not have cash like that on hand. Funny after many words the manager comes out with the cash! He must have a money tree he visited. Left went to the Hyatt at SFO airport and loved it! We have stay at meny Embassy Suites and have decided not to anymore there are too many rude people with rude kids!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2005

This Embassy Suites is great for anyone wanting to stay a bit out of San Francisco, but still be in a nice hotel, with all that goes with it. We have stayed there several times and have always been pleased. It has A LOT to offer!

It has a gorgeous Atrium and restaurant area, where drinks and breakfast are served. The rooms are apparently going to get some upgrading soon, and that would make it even better. The beds were comfortable, but probably old, and not up to ES standards.

The location is VERY quiet, and we found the hotel very quiet also. And we love the hotel shuttle that takes us to the Larksburg ferry, where each day we rode it to San Francisco, ending up at the fantastic and newly developed Ferry Building. The ferry ride is fun, and easy.

It's also a lot less expensive than staying IN the city. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

Stayed September 2005
13 Thank Sooz2
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2005

I will not stay at the Embassy Suites in San Rafael ever again. I was awakened at 5:15am hearing my neighbor's TV and the shower running. Actually, I could hear the pipes and shower running constantly. It was annoying. Especially after staying at the Marriott the weekend before and did not hear one thing! So when I told the front desk about the noise upon checkout, the gal replied, "Did you notify us of the problem?" I said, "I'm not about to get up and call you at 5:15am to tell you that I can hear someone showering and running their TV." That's ridiculous. She was sarcastic and not helpful. And I definitely filled out a comment card. Also, it cost $10 to hear 30 minutes of music on the television.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2005

I waited three days for the Embassy Suites to have any vacancies in Marin. We stayed those nights at the Embassy near the SFO Airport which was nice. I am glad we were patient. Marin County and especially picteresque San Rafael were everything we could imagine. Beautiful, quaint, immaculate and with so much outdoor activities. Next year were are off to Namibia and South Africa, but 2007 it back to San Francisco, Napa and of course our new favorite place. For travellers from Luxembourg this area is so worthy of its destination praise. We will return in a few days and Embassy Suites here in Marin was the highlight. It is as beautiful as its website shows. Enclosed, with waterfalls, fish ponds and everything at your finger tips. My family and I loved the hearty breakfast and the night reception was not lacking in named liquors. The staff was able to speak in Spanish, Portugese, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Tagalog, Icelandic , Croatian and Finnish. These were the staff mebers we met, maybe there were more languages spoken we did not hear. The immediate area is dominated by Frank Lloyd Wright's magificient San Rafael Municipal Center and Arts Center. We were able to enjo the discounts on Enterprise Rental Car, Marin Door Shuttle and even Marine World at Six Flags. It was a great experience. We hate to go home. We have joined the Embassy Suites and Hilton program since they also own Scandic Hotesl back in Europe. I want to thank Maria and Dave at the breakfast they were sohelpful and caring. Gabriel at the bar. Lori and Keijan in the office were helpful in planning our day area activities. At the desk, Ashman and Marian were so delightful . See you in 2 years Embassy. We better book now o get in.... Van Der Voort , Groningen, the Netherlands

Stayed July 2005
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Property: Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Address: 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903-2773
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael