Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Tired but friendly”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

I agree that this hotel is a bit tired but it is clean and the staff is friendly and efficient. We stayed here after a day at Muir Woods and on our way to Sonoma. The location is off the beaten track but we were using HHonor points. We didn't stay for happy hour but looked like a hot appetizer and veggies. The breakfast is hot and plentiful. Despite being full, it was very quiet at night.

The next night we stayed at an Embassy in Napa which was updated but the room needed cleaning. Just suggesting you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Room Tip: Room 210 has two separate bedrooms with king size beds. This is in addition to the separate living...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
mjdrios, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay and we will use your comments as we continuously work to improve our guest experience.

Thank you for providing us with your perspective. We hope that your next stay with us will be much improved.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Tired old hotel. Bed was soft/lumpy. Food on bedside table when we checked in. Room and common areas looked like they hadn't been updated in 30 years. Pull-out bed that my son slept in was horrible. Location, while convenient to the highway, is in an office park-type setting and not convenient to the town center.

Breakfast and bathrooms were okay.

We ended up staying here because it was a last minute reservation and there weren't a lot of other options. Do yourself a favor and book ahead somewhere else. Certainly wasn't the worst place I've stayed in but there are plenty of better options in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 24, 2014

From the minute we walked into the room, I knew we were getting ripped off. The room was terrible. The room smelled like cigarettes and the furniture was very old, like from the 1980s. I did not want to sit on the furniture nor did I want to sleep on the bed. It was very over priced for what we got. The rooms are a motel 8 grade room but you are paying premium price. Don't waste your money. I wished we had a choice to stay somewhere else but we didn't. Very dissappointed. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014

San Raphael, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2014

The noise from the bar was intolerable, the food was usually cold, only one wine at the "free" happy hour in wine country? Really? The sofa mattress had springs coming out, the sheets did not stay in and the room smelled like cigarettes. We had to keep the air conditioner on 65 for it to get just a little cool in the room. We won't stay there again. There are too many nice places in the area that are available!

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Aventura, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Though we were 2 adults, we noted that this is a great hotel for families with kids. Good hot breakfast and excellent response from housekeeping when we asked for more hangers and towels. Well Maintained hotel

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Embassy Suites - San Rafael. We are delighted to hear that your stay was positive and that you appreciated all our amenities and hotel comforts. We look forward in being of service during your next stay.
California
Reviewed August 20, 2014

First time at this hotel where I stayed for 2 nights for business. The location slightly off the path was good and quiet and was within a mile of mall that had loads of restaurants and shopping. Pros: Location; easy check in; front desk seemed to handle things but without smiles; large rooms and bathrooms; free breakfast; it's probably the best hotel in San Rafael but I hope not.
Cons: rooms are a bit worn and dated; not clean enough; the smell of chlorine from the pool and water from the atrium combines to slap you in the face with an unpleasant smell when you walk in. I never adjusted to that and was happy it didn't get into my room.
I've attached two photos from the bathroom: one from a filthy air return; the other showing the grungy tops of the outlets. I like my hotels to be clean, clean, clean. Whether a hotel is brand new or aging they can ALWAYS commit to keeping it clean. When I noticed that in the bathroom it made me suspect about the rest of the room and I always kept my socks on.
Is it really so hard to clean the vent? I could easily reach it. And cleaning the tops of the outlets and switches is too much to ask? Ewwww.
I would rank them below average for cleanliness and for that rank aroma that permeates the inside.
Next time I will try a hotel down the road. Some folks may be very happy here but when I see them missing the little things, I think they may miss the big things, too.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Embassy Suites are always reliable, with breakfast included. This hotel is no exception. It is probably the best hotel in San Rafael, or even Marin County. The process for check-in and check-out was smooth, and the people at the front desk were friendly. The breakfast was very average, although if you have the time, the personalized cooking is much better than the buffet. The breakfast room was always crowded, no matter what time we went to breakfast. The staff worked hard, but they had a difficult time keeping up with demand.
The center of the hotel is completely open, from the ground floor to the roof. If obviously has been attractive, but is less so now, and it needs some work to brighten it. The noise from the open area is loud on the lower floors, and can be heard on the higher floors, but it was not too distracting.
This hotel meets all the basic needs for a single person or a large family, but I felt that it was very expensive for a medium quality hotel. The location is very good, so I will probably use the hotel again, if I am in the area. I gave the hotel a 4 rating, but it would have been more accurate, if I could have given a 3.5.

Room Tip: The higher level rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Embassy Suites San Rafael. We are delighted to hear that your stay was positive and appreciated all our amenities.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
Marin Suites Hotel
#2 of 3 in Corte Madera
No photo provided

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Property: Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Address: 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903-2773
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael