“Smelled smoke all night long in non-smoking room”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The last two times I have stayed at this hotel the initial room given to me where unacceptable because of the infiltration of cigarette smoke. I have HCS and smelling even a whiff of smoke makes me ill. All night long I'd get repeated scent-bombs. If you don't care about that this hotel is quite nice to stay in. I know some people complain about the noise of the waterfall, but I find it enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate your feedback and candor relative to the smell of smoke in the first suites your were given. I apologize. One would think that the chances of that happening based on the very few smoking suites we have would be slim, so again I apologize. I would suggest making or having a notation put on any future reservations stating that you want to be away from the smoking suites. That would raise a flag to our Front Desk Guest Representives and ensure that you recieve a suite in a different part of the building. On a positive note, I appreciate your comment stating that the hotel was nice and that you actually like the sound of the waterfall. Thanks again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Enjoyed my stay at the Embassy Suites. Hotel was clean, beds were comfortable, and having a door that I could close between the bedroom and living room was priceless. Only disappointments - pillows too soft and there should be a 2 entre limit per person at the fresh omelet bar. Person in front of me ordered food for 5 at the same time the 2nd cook was making massive amounts of french toast and not taking orders.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you so much for your nice review and feedback relative to your recent stay with us. You will be happy to hear that we will be receiving a new bedding package, inclusive of pillows before years end, so the next time you visit, we'll actually have/offer two different types of pillows on each bed. In terms of our cooked to order breakfast, it is unfortunate when people order for more than just themselves, however, by doing so, there are not as many people waiting in line, so there is a good and a not so good aspect to the process. I am sure that our second cook was cooking items for the buffet and I will speak to them to be more watchful of the line as our first priority should always be the person in front of us. I enjoyed reading that you found the ability to close the door between the bedroom and living room...priceless! I totally concur. Thanks again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 20, 2013

In general the hotel is o.k. but know going in, that wifi in the hotel costs $9.95/night. A ridiculous policy in this time where you can get free wifi at every other hotel and many restaurants. The free breakfast was fairly good, but often people were having to wait for items that didn't get refilled quick enough. The juices from the machine were always watered down. Also note that the pool and spa are tiny--the photo online is not very accurate.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

I appreciate you taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay with us. While I am aware that some hotels and restaurants offer their guest free wi-fi, HIlton Worldwide together with a number of other major chains have not moved towards that offering. I do know that Hilton is looking at a number of options based on guests usage/needs/requirements, so I am sure we will see some change(s) in the not too distant future. To what degree, I am unsure. Your feedback is important and I will be sharing it with the Brand Team as they need to take our guests feedback into consideration. Relative to our cooked to order breakfast we can do upwards of 700+ people in a 3 hour timeperiod, so I do apologize if items were not replenished quick enough. The staff does work hard to stay on top of all areas and based on occupancy levels, it can be a challenge at times. It is my hope that you were able to find and enjoy what you were looking for. In terms of our indoor pool it can look small when their are a number of people in the area, which is especially true on weekends and during the summer months. The photo on-line is our pool, taken at an angle so that as much of the area is depicted. Thank you again for your feedback. It is my hope that given to opportunity, that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Check in was not as efficient or friendly as I'd expect from an Embassy Suites Hotel. The clerk was not at all welcoming, or service oriented, and seemed that he didn't want to be behind the desk, making the check-in process rather unpleasant. First impressions usually set the stage for me. The room, though nicely furnished (with comfortable beds/bedding), needed a good carpet and upholstery cleaning. I didn't try out the pool and hot tub as they were both packed with families w/ small children in the evening. In the morning, the pool's chemical smell was quite intense so I didn't venture into the water at all. Breakfast was very good (self-service) with all the hot and cold selections for almost any taste. ~All in all, I'd say this is an average, but rather pricey, hotel for one overnight stay

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I have to say that I was very disappointed to read that the staff did not welcome you upon arrival. This is not typical of our staff and something I will share with them as we are in the hospitality business and being welcoming and friendly is a critical part of what we do each and every day. I do apologize. Relative to the condition of the carpet and upholstery, we have actually put someone on who just cleans carpets and spots upholstery every day. Quite honestly, we are consistently chasing our tail. As soon as we clean an area another pops up, but it is something we need to stay on top of. In terms of the pool area, our system is a salt based system so I am not sure why it would have smelled of chlorine. Perhaps the chemicals had just cycled through. I will have my Chief Engineer look into it. On a positive note, it was nice to read that you found the cooked to order breakfast enjoyable and plentiful. It is my hope that if in the area again, that you will give us another opportunity, as I know we are much better than you experienced.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Desk clerk at check in was rude and impossible to understand her heavy accent, room phone and internet not working, refused my Triple AAA card, breakfast was a cluster, to many people, food quality poor. Hotel looks very worn. I spent $308 and felt ripped off.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

I'm very sorry to hear that you di not have a pleasant experience at our hotel. Guest Satisfaction is extremely important to us and we apologize for letting you down. I did look to see if we were offering AARP rates over your stay and unfortunately, we were not due to our high occupancy/limited availability over this timeperiod. Discounted rates are yielded much like the airlines and during this time of year the number we may have available go quickly. I do want to apologize that internet access was a concern during your time with us and have touched base with our provider and the customer service line to ensure that they are aware of the opportunity to ensure this is not a problem for anyone else in the future. I will be sure to keep your feedback in mind as we are always working to improve our overall guest experience. I thank you for your candor and I really do hope that you'll give us a second chance if your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Shirt sweet and simple - great room, fantastic complimentary breakfast and managers reception, good restaurant, very nice pool and hot tube, beautiful common area. Great base for exploring Point Reyes and Golden Gate area.

1  Thank SOL119

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your visit and the amenities that Embassy offers our guests...not to mention our ideal location for seeing a number of attractions and sites within the Bay Area. Thanks again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were forced out of our house because the kitchen and bathrooms were being completely remodeled. Embassy Suites was a good home away from home. The one bedroom suite was spacious and well-appointed. There was plenty of closet space. The tiny kitchen was okay for quick microwave meals but no real cooking. The bathroom was large, clean and comfortable.
At the beginning, the housekeepers kept removing our dishes that we brought with us, thinking they belonged to the hotel. It took talking to many hotel employees before we finally got everything back. The cooked to order breakfasts were very good and a great start to everyday for the 5 weeks of our stay. I especially liked the pancakes. The hostess, Christa, was always friendly. The Manager's Reception every evening was also wonderful. The bartenders were very friendly and welcoming. We were spoiled having cocktails every night.
Overall though the hotel needs a facelift. It was clean and bright but stuck in the 80's decor.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting or who needs a temporary home.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chand01
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for being our guest and using us as your home away from home, as your home was being remodeled! As you experienced we have guests staying with us for all kinds of reasons, some for a few days, others for weeks or months at a time. We appreciate the opportunity and chance to get to know our guests better and it sounds as though you were able to interact with many of our Team Members during your stay. In all honesty I wish we were a bit more in tune to your having brought your own utensils etc. instead of It taking us a while to figure it out...I apologize for that. Relative to the hotel needing to be updated, Ownership is looking at some renovations in the not too distant future, which we are thankful for. I was happy to hear that you found the hotel to be comfortable, clean, the cooked to oder breakfast and evening reception enjoyable and that you would recommend us to your friends and family. We appreciate that! Enjoy your new renovated home and don't be a stranger...come and join us for lunch or dinner sometime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Address: 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903-2773
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Price Range: $139 - $252 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
The Embassy Suites San Rafael - Marin County hotel is located just north of San Francisco, a few short steps from the Marin County Convention Center and Civic Center. Set in a scenic area known for its wineries and natural beauty, this upscale San Rafael hotel is within easy reach of attractions including Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, Northgate Shopping Mall, Sausalito and downtown San Francisco. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael