Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Desk clerk at check in was rude and impossible to understand her heavy accent, room phone and internet not working, refused my Triple AAA card, breakfast was a cluster, to many people, food quality poor. Hotel looks very worn. I spent $308 and felt ripped off.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

I'm very sorry to hear that you di not have a pleasant experience at our hotel. Guest Satisfaction is extremely important to us and we apologize for letting you down. I did look to see if we were offering AARP rates over your stay and unfortunately, we were not due to our high occupancy/limited availability over this timeperiod. Discounted rates are yielded much like the airlines and during this time of year the number we may have available go quickly. I do want to apologize that internet access was a concern during your time with us and have touched base with our provider and the customer service line to ensure that they are aware of the opportunity to ensure this is not a problem for anyone else in the future. I will be sure to keep your feedback in mind as we are always working to improve our overall guest experience. I thank you for your candor and I really do hope that you'll give us a second chance if your travels bring you back to the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Shirt sweet and simple - great room, fantastic complimentary breakfast and managers reception, good restaurant, very nice pool and hot tube, beautiful common area. Great base for exploring Point Reyes and Golden Gate area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SOL119

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your visit and the amenities that Embassy offers our guests...not to mention our ideal location for seeing a number of attractions and sites within the Bay Area. Thanks again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were forced out of our house because the kitchen and bathrooms were being completely remodeled. Embassy Suites was a good home away from home. The one bedroom suite was spacious and well-appointed. There was plenty of closet space. The tiny kitchen was okay for quick microwave meals but no real cooking. The bathroom was large, clean and comfortable.
At the beginning, the housekeepers kept removing our dishes that we brought with us, thinking they belonged to the hotel. It took talking to many hotel employees before we finally got everything back. The cooked to order breakfasts were very good and a great start to everyday for the 5 weeks of our stay. I especially liked the pancakes. The hostess, Christa, was always friendly. The Manager's Reception every evening was also wonderful. The bartenders were very friendly and welcoming. We were spoiled having cocktails every night.
Overall though the hotel needs a facelift. It was clean and bright but stuck in the 80's decor.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting or who needs a temporary home.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chand01
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for being our guest and using us as your home away from home, as your home was being remodeled! As you experienced we have guests staying with us for all kinds of reasons, some for a few days, others for weeks or months at a time. We appreciate the opportunity and chance to get to know our guests better and it sounds as though you were able to interact with many of our Team Members during your stay. In all honesty I wish we were a bit more in tune to your having brought your own utensils etc. instead of It taking us a while to figure it out...I apologize for that. Relative to the hotel needing to be updated, Ownership is looking at some renovations in the not too distant future, which we are thankful for. I was happy to hear that you found the hotel to be comfortable, clean, the cooked to oder breakfast and evening reception enjoyable and that you would recommend us to your friends and family. We appreciate that! Enjoy your new renovated home and don't be a stranger...come and join us for lunch or dinner sometime.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times - it is convenient, staff are nice, hotel is standard for Embassy Suites, which is spacious and decent. I had a reservation this weekend for 2 nights for my son and a family friend. I needed to modify my reservation to cancel 1 night because I couldn't arrive there on Friday night due to my work schedule. The manager of the hotel would not let me cancel Friday night because he stated they had a 2 night minimum. No where on their web site or on my confirmation notice did it state that they had a 2 night minimum. The manager stated that it is assumed within their "subject to availability" clause. So, I had to pay for both nights and stay just one or cancel the weekend. I choose to cancel the weekend which is a huge disappointment for all. I am a Hilton Honors member and have always enjoyed staying at Hilton Brand hotels. Their lack of communication and dismissive attitude was extremely frustrating. It appears that the manager chose to put profitability above customer service, which is very sad.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CMarvinGallo
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

I am sorry for your frustrations relative to your reservation as it is never our intent to upset our guests. We as many hotels do, manage our inventory, much like the airlines and do place minimum length of stays on our availability based on occupancy levels. There may have been a minimium length of stay requirement but you would not have been given that information because your initial reservation was for two nights already, so the requirements were met. When you wanted to cancel for one night, the two night minimum came into play and is why the manager stated what they did. That's not to say that i would not have handled things a little differently, which has been shared and discussed with the staff. I apologize once again and do hope that you will give us another try.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great room, wonderful drinks, full breakfast. I'll stay again and again. The rooms are always nice and clean and the staff extremely friendly. We love the managers reception and the fish with waterfalls

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was happy to hear that you not only enjoyed all the amenities the hotel has to offer but that you'll be back to visit us again and again...we can't ask for more then that! Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed at this location while attending the NHRA races and it is conveniently located. The evening cocktails are nice as is the breakfast but the room quality is not reflective of the outside appearance. Not a bad place but its time to update the rooms. Also, the elevators seemed both noisy and dirty.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay with us over the NHRA weekend. It's always nice to hear from our guests even thosetimes when constructive feedback is given, I appreicate your nice comments about our convenient location and nice breakfast and evening reception, In terms of the hotel needing updating, we are hopeful for some renovations in the not too distant future. The hotel maintains a healthly occupancy throughout the year with hundreds and hundreds of people coming and going each day, so the staff is kept quite busy trying to maintain and upkeep the building. It is my hope that when the time comes for you to travel to the area agian, that we will have already made some changes to the interior of the hotel.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

At the end of a two weeks vacation in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, this older hotel nestled in a very quiet area of San Rafael was the perfect location to explore Sonoma and Napa, it's location near San Francisco and Sausalito is perfect for day trip and most of all parking is ample and free.
Room to room noise is non-existent and never observe during my 5 days stay. For all you wine enthusiast out there who are Costco members, do spend some time at Costco in Novato which is 6 miles or so away. They have an incredible selection of fine California wine from the area at prices substantially lower than in the valley...

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be the same, since the hotel is in an open area and very quiet at night, I have no...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joseph b

Thank you so much for your nice comments and for taking the time to write your review. It's always nice to hear from our guests and to hear their feedback. It sounds as though you had a wonderful trip and that you were able to enjoy some of what the area has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travel plans include the Bay Area. Thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
Marin Suites Hotel
Marin Suites Hotel
#2 of 3 in Corte Madera
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Address: 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903-2773
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Price Range: $164 - $307 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
The Embassy Suites San Rafael - Marin County hotel is located just north of San Francisco, a few short steps from the Marin County Convention Center and Civic Center. Set in a scenic area known for its wineries and natural beauty, this upscale San Rafael hotel is within easy reach of attractions including Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, Northgate Shopping Mall, Sausalito and downtown San Francisco. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael