“wonderful suites, comfortable, and great beds!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Classy lobby, wonderful Indian Art event! Comfortable well appointed rooms with private bedroom. A little hard to find but worth the search. Nice conference rooms and right next door to major exhibit hall - Indian Art show - terrific. Can book online or in person - very accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dennisjunesr
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about your stay with us over the Indian Art Event. It was great to hear that you found the hotel comfortable and a perfect choice to suit your needs. Embassy's offering of a two room suite is one of our "Brand Pillars" that truly sets us a part from our competition, so I am glad that you chose us and enjoyed your time here. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to the area.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We chose this hotel because of a family event near the Marin County Civic Center. It was perfect for our needs. The hotel has ample common space to allow the family to lounge and congregate. The service staff was efficient and friendly. However, the breakfast area was somewhat chaotic and disorganized. The made to order food was excellent, but the other food was just average to poor. The hotel is conveniently located with easy access to Hwy 101 North or South.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. It is always good to hear from our guests perspective and I was happy to read that you found the hotel to be well suited to your needs...offering space, good amenities and a service oriented and efficient staff. We do our best to ensure that all of our guests feel welcome and at home and I am glad that you did. I am also aware that you felt our breakfast was a bit chaotic and that outside of the cooked to order food, that you felt it was not all that it could be. I appreciate your candor. Breakfast, particiuliarly on weekends can be extremely busy and as hard as we try to stay on top of replenishment and making the area look it's best, it proves to be challenging at times. We are actually awaiting new Breakfast Decor and have started to offer daily/weekly specials to change things up a bit. It is my hope that when your travels bring you to the area, that you will choose us once again and have a great breakfast experience.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We have had to make several medical trips to SF this last year. Embassy is close enough to be a quick drive, Being out of the city crowd and close enough restaurants and shopping is a huge plus. We have also stayed at Embassy as a base while we enjoyed the more touristy attractions in SF itself. SF hotels are so outrageously priced for a quality stay and they charge a ransom for parking besides. We appreciate having a nice made to order breakfast without having to get out and about first. Able to then pack up and depart at a leisurely pace, We have occasionally had to stay elsewhere but always choose to stay here first. If you want to visit SF without breaking the bank, check Embassy out.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your nice comments about your recent stay at our hotel. It was good to hear that our marketing ourselves as a great alternative to staying in San Francisco has caught on. We consider ourselves to be in an ideal location situated between the city and wine country...the best of two worlds. It was good to hear as well that you and your family enjoy the benefits we offer at Embassy Suites and that we are your first choice when your travels bring you to the area. We appreciate your kind words and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great Service and location! Not too far from everything but still secluded for a quiet stay. Everything about the hotel was a perfect fit for our family getaway to celebrate my daughter's 2nd birthday. We loved the hotel and will definitely go back.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Pat S, Owner at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It was wonderful to hear that your 2 year olds birthday celebration made for some great memories and that you thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. As with all the reviews I receive, I will be sure to share yours with the staff as they work hard to ensure that all of our guests feel welcome and at home while they are here. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is my second review of this hotel and my family's third stay here. I'm upgrading them from three stars to four for two reasons: (1) the service and friendliness of the staff was uniformly outstanding and (2) I now have a 15 month old child and found a lot of the amenities really excellent for the family traveler.

Kid Stuff - This place is awesome for traveling with a toddler. We requested a crib for our room, and the one the hotel provided was clean and in great shape. And, because the hotel is all suites, we had a separate room in which to place a large crib. This is so much better than our usual routine of squeezing the crib in beside the bed in a normal hotel room (and potentially waking a sleeping baby every time you move). Breakfasts are super easy with the in-hotel cooked to order breakfast. Sure, it's not five star cuisine, but the selection was good, the food was fresh, and it's sure easy not having to pack the family off a restaurant before a day of exploration. Finally, kids need a snack? The evening reception was terrific with fruit, cheese, crackers, etc. We actually fed my son a decent dinner from this spread one night.

The Staff - I was amazed at just how happy and helpful everyone was. We had two breakfasts hostesses during our stay and it seemed like they were both drinking the same happy juice. It's awfully nice to start the day with a pleasant interaction. One our way out, we found a minor error on our bill, which was corrected quickly, with an apology and a smile. These sound like little things, but we've stayed at plenty of places that don't share this ethic, and the attitude makes a huge difference.

Facility - Sure, the facility is starting to show its age a little. However, we found everything to be uniformly clean, if not totally updated and spit-shined. Particularly for this price, we found nothing to complain about, and we're fairly fastidious people.

Location - Sure, the location is kind of a bummer (an office park just off the freeway). But, it is convenient for explorations around Marin County. If you're looking for excitement right outside your door, this place is probably a bad choice.

Price - I've always found the price at this hotel to be very reasonable, particularly considering the amenities it offers.

Bottom line, this place doesn't inspire poetry, but it's functional, reasonable priced, and super handy for family travelers.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us once again. I appreciate your candor and comments relating to the hotel and how well it has suited your family's needs. The staff works hard to ensure that our guests feel welcome and at home and it was great to hear that we are doing that. Your thoroughness regarding the suite and our amenities provide good insight to what we are all about at Embassy Suites, so thank you once agian. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have just about given up on Embassy altogether, and I think Hilton would be wise to ditch the brand as a whole. Or at least put some money into them. This one is no exception.

This hotel is hard to find off of the 101...it's not right off the freeway. We did find it of course. I walked into the lobby and was immediately greeted with the horrible smell of chlorine...because they have a huge interior atrium (as to many Embassy Suites) with a lot of water features. I can't tell you how much of a turn off that is. Anyway we were directed to park near the rear entrance, where our room was closer to. An entrance which has an accessible ramp to the door about 100 feet away from where it needs to be, and so far way they need a sign to direct you to it. Um, people have luggage every day and perhaps a ramp to the door would be a good idea for EVERYONE? It's only one (big) curb and the concrete work wouldn't cost much. Anyway...we get inside and see AWFUL 80's decor---rose and green paint, fake plants hanging from planters, and the sound of people in the atrium bar echoing all the way through the hotel so you can hear them in EVERY room, since all rooms face the atrium.

Inside the room..there were chips on the desk, rip in the desk chair, marks on the wall, and (later we found) a sink that barely drained. Now someone who cleaned the sink properly would have noticed it took forever (i.e. 15 mins) to drain a small amount. In the bed, we found a wood chip (?). This was bad enough that I undid linens to look for bed bugs but fortunately did not find any, or else this review would have taken a very different turn.

We went to turn on the TV and it was not plugged in nor connected to the cable, so we called maintenance because even after we plugged it in, it didn't get any stations. After maintenance showed, we found the cable box was also unplugged though we didn't know it even had a plug. Whatever, this should be ready to go when the room is assigned.

Breakfast: it's included in the rate, which is good because it's not worth paying for separately. Staff were short and rude too. They make out as if "cooked to order" is a good thing, but they are really just metering what you have. Bacon is not cooked to order, it's sitting behind the counter cooked and they plop 2 pieces on a plate if you ask for it. I wanted an english muffin and couldn't find any..so I asked at cooking station and he said they were out by the toaster, but they weren't, and he said I had to wait to find the guy who's supposed to be filling up that stuff, not him. I did...asked for a muffin and he disappeared for 10 minutes...to fill up a huge tray of EVERYTHING they needed to fill at the toaster station. Not a bad concept, but when a customer asks for something, you bring it right away to them and then go back to filling up stuff.

Anyway I couldn't wait to get out of there. When I checked out they asked "how was your stay?" and I said, "Not good, and I will not be returning." I did at least get a look of concern from the staff and it turns out they only charged me half price, as I found out later. It was a nice gesture and they should have left it at that...but no. I got emailed a survey to fill out for Hilton...so I did, not much different from this review. After I submitted it, about a day later I got an email from the manager, who more or less said "sorry you didn't like it but didn't you notice that we discounted your room?" CLEARLY implying that he was annoyed that I didn't say nice things because of the discount. Well the place still sucks and I was NOT happy with the service.

Like I said, I will NOT stay here again, and Hilton needs to think twice about keeping this property in its portfolio.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I always appreciate hearing from our guests-even those times when it involves areas where we can improve and/or as in this case, bring to the attention of Ownership. As the General Manager, it is never pleasant to hear when we have failed to provide the quality of accommodations and services are guests expect. In reading your review, we obviously failed on many counts and for that I am truly sorry. We continually look for ways to improve our guests experience and your constructive feedback will assist us in our ongoing efforts. It is our hope that we will be able to update our furnishings and public areas sometime soon. Relative to our staff, I will be sharing your comments with them as they need to hear things from our guests perspective and work to ensure each and every one of our guests are made to feel at home and are happy. Thank you once again for your candor. It is my hope that you will consider giving us another chance because we are better then what you experienced.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

There are not a lot of choices in this area, so this is as good as you'll get. It is not high end by any means, but decent. Staff was pleasant. Breakfast buffet was a zoo and not that great. The hotel is older and needs a refurbishment. I had an upper floor corner room which as a bit musty. For the money, you are getting what you're paying for. I recall paying around $150 or so a night for a king bed with a separate sitting area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Anthony G
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests-including when their comments are constructive and identify ways we can improve or in this case update the hotel. I was glad to read in your review that you found the staff pleasant and your accommodations satisfactory. Our main priority is for all of our guests to feel welcome and to have an enjobale stay. I do, however understand that you found some features of the hotel dated. I can assure you that your feedback is incredibly important to us. In fact, we are looking at different options to upgrade and renovate what we can. In regards to breakfast being busy, our weekends are very busy with a large part of our population being families with children. I do hope that you were able to enjoy your breakfast despite the crowd. Thank you once again for your review. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again if and when your travels bring you back to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Address: 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903-2773
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Price Range: $183 - $320 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Hilton Hotels Direct, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael