Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“I would not stay here again.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have just about given up on Embassy altogether, and I think Hilton would be wise to ditch the brand as a whole. Or at least put some money into them. This one is no exception.

This hotel is hard to find off of the 101...it's not right off the freeway. We did find it of course. I walked into the lobby and was immediately greeted with the horrible smell of chlorine...because they have a huge interior atrium (as to many Embassy Suites) with a lot of water features. I can't tell you how much of a turn off that is. Anyway we were directed to park near the rear entrance, where our room was closer to. An entrance which has an accessible ramp to the door about 100 feet away from where it needs to be, and so far way they need a sign to direct you to it. Um, people have luggage every day and perhaps a ramp to the door would be a good idea for EVERYONE? It's only one (big) curb and the concrete work wouldn't cost much. Anyway...we get inside and see AWFUL 80's decor---rose and green paint, fake plants hanging from planters, and the sound of people in the atrium bar echoing all the way through the hotel so you can hear them in EVERY room, since all rooms face the atrium.

Inside the room..there were chips on the desk, rip in the desk chair, marks on the wall, and (later we found) a sink that barely drained. Now someone who cleaned the sink properly would have noticed it took forever (i.e. 15 mins) to drain a small amount. In the bed, we found a wood chip (?). This was bad enough that I undid linens to look for bed bugs but fortunately did not find any, or else this review would have taken a very different turn.

We went to turn on the TV and it was not plugged in nor connected to the cable, so we called maintenance because even after we plugged it in, it didn't get any stations. After maintenance showed, we found the cable box was also unplugged though we didn't know it even had a plug. Whatever, this should be ready to go when the room is assigned.

Breakfast: it's included in the rate, which is good because it's not worth paying for separately. Staff were short and rude too. They make out as if "cooked to order" is a good thing, but they are really just metering what you have. Bacon is not cooked to order, it's sitting behind the counter cooked and they plop 2 pieces on a plate if you ask for it. I wanted an english muffin and couldn't find any..so I asked at cooking station and he said they were out by the toaster, but they weren't, and he said I had to wait to find the guy who's supposed to be filling up that stuff, not him. I did...asked for a muffin and he disappeared for 10 minutes...to fill up a huge tray of EVERYTHING they needed to fill at the toaster station. Not a bad concept, but when a customer asks for something, you bring it right away to them and then go back to filling up stuff.

Anyway I couldn't wait to get out of there. When I checked out they asked "how was your stay?" and I said, "Not good, and I will not be returning." I did at least get a look of concern from the staff and it turns out they only charged me half price, as I found out later. It was a nice gesture and they should have left it at that...but no. I got emailed a survey to fill out for Hilton...so I did, not much different from this review. After I submitted it, about a day later I got an email from the manager, who more or less said "sorry you didn't like it but didn't you notice that we discounted your room?" CLEARLY implying that he was annoyed that I didn't say nice things because of the discount. Well the place still sucks and I was NOT happy with the service.

Like I said, I will NOT stay here again, and Hilton needs to think twice about keeping this property in its portfolio.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I always appreciate hearing from our guests-even those times when it involves areas where we can improve and/or as in this case, bring to the attention of Ownership. As the General Manager, it is never pleasant to hear when we have failed to provide the quality of accommodations and services are guests expect. In reading your review, we obviously failed on many counts and for that I am truly sorry. We continually look for ways to improve our guests experience and your constructive feedback will assist us in our ongoing efforts. It is our hope that we will be able to update our furnishings and public areas sometime soon. Relative to our staff, I will be sharing your comments with them as they need to hear things from our guests perspective and work to ensure each and every one of our guests are made to feel at home and are happy. Thank you once again for your candor. It is my hope that you will consider giving us another chance because we are better then what you experienced.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Hebrew first
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

There are not a lot of choices in this area, so this is as good as you'll get. It is not high end by any means, but decent. Staff was pleasant. Breakfast buffet was a zoo and not that great. The hotel is older and needs a refurbishment. I had an upper floor corner room which as a bit musty. For the money, you are getting what you're paying for. I recall paying around $150 or so a night for a king bed with a separate sitting area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony G
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests-including when their comments are constructive and identify ways we can improve or in this case update the hotel. I was glad to read in your review that you found the staff pleasant and your accommodations satisfactory. Our main priority is for all of our guests to feel welcome and to have an enjobale stay. I do, however understand that you found some features of the hotel dated. I can assure you that your feedback is incredibly important to us. In fact, we are looking at different options to upgrade and renovate what we can. In regards to breakfast being busy, our weekends are very busy with a large part of our population being families with children. I do hope that you were able to enjoy your breakfast despite the crowd. Thank you once again for your review. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again if and when your travels bring you back to the area.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I found the staff very kind and courteous, especially one of the managers and the hostess for breakfast. The gym was clean and useful, as was the pool. The complimentary breakfast was good with a decent array of choices.

I found the layout of the rooms to be odd and uncomfortable. There is a window in each room that faces the main hall. We kept the curtain closed the entire time, but it felt awkward having a window there. I also found the carpet extremely dirty and spotty. At one point we found what we hope was a crushed piece of chocolate and not some other brown thing, outside of our door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us this past weekend. It was nice to hear that you found our staff courteous and that you were able to enjoy some of the amenities of the hotel inclusive of the Fitness Center, Pool and Cooked to Order Breakfast during your visit. I would be remiss if I did not respond relative to the concerns you expressed about the windows that look out to the hallway, your carpet and debris being outside of your suite doorway. The lay out of the hotel is representative of the Embassy Brand and provides a way to bring light into the suites outside of just having a bedroom window showing the outdoors. Thankfully, there are curtains which you opted to keep closed. Relative to the condition of your carpet, I do apologize. We do try our best to clean all thecarpets on a regualr basis with special attention given to stains our Suite Keepers see and bring to our attention. Your suite was obviously overlooked and I apologize once again. Regarding the debris outside of yur suite, we try to vacuum and pick-up the hallways throughout the day, so I am hoping that this was something that happened between those times or was accidentally overlooked. It is my hope that the next time your travels bring you this way, that you visit us again.
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

After three days backpacking in the boonies of Point Reyes, this hotel was a welcome oasis. The room was clean and comfortable, the in-house restaurant served a pretty mean burger (with very garlicky parmesan fries!), served a good breakfast, and I certainly can't complain about the evening cocktails. (I know this might be wishful thinking, but we would have loved a few more choices for finger food with our drinks - besides popcorn and fried veggie chips. Just saying.)

A couple of sour notes: I was looking for a soda at 2 AM and all the vending machines on three floors were sold out. Maybe the hotel could stock a small "pantry" that sell snacks or ice cream or drinks or other such things one might need at 2 AM. My other complaint was really not the hotel's fault. The restaurant was in the atrium area. Some extra-rambunctious kids were tossing bits of paper down from an upper floor while we were at lunch. Quite harmless, but annoying.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank earthdude
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I want to personally thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am glad that we provided a pleasant refuge from the wilderness and that you were able to enjoy all of our amenities. Your great comment about the hamburger in Grille 101 is one we hear often...my husband claims it's the best he's ever had! Relative to our Evening Reception, we do try and change our snacks each day due to our having many guests who stay multiple nights. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy different snacks on your next visit. I understand that you wanted something to drink in the wee hours of the morning and our vending machines were empty...I am so sorry. We do have a Grab-n-Go on the first floor where drinks, snacks and sundries are available. Based on your comment, I have gotten with my Front Desk Staff to ensure that they let our guests know what is available to them. In terms of the bits of paper being tossed from overhead by children above while you were in Grille !01, I apologize and wish that we could have eyes everywhere but as you stated, that's difficult. I would hope that the children's parents would be watchful and mindful of where their children are and what they are doing at all times. Thank you again for your coments. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to our area.
Sacramento
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on Christmas Eve, while visiting relatives. Everything was clean an in order, just as you would expect. The building shows a little bit of age, but it is kept well. I was happy with my stay, and I will consider this location again if staying in the area.

The hotel seemed dark, and vacant. This was probably because it was Christmas Eve, and everyone was gone. I've been here before, and it was not like that.

I would have given the hotel 4 stars, but I had to remove one because of their advertising. The current promotion "Includes High Speed Internet", but what they don't say is that you can only use the internet from their business center computers located downstairs. If you want WiFi in your room, this costs extra. It could just be an oversight, but I suspect it to be a bait and switch. I wrote an e-mail about this to two managers at the hotel, but after more than two weeks, I have not received any response.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jm9k
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had an enjoyable holiday with family. In your review, I understand that you had a question regarding our internet and or an internet package. We do offer an internet package which incorporates the use of the internet in your guest suite for a 24 hour timeperiod and longer based on the number of nights you stay. Outside of this package, our other rates do not include free internet usage. We do however offer free internet in our Business Center for our guests. I do apologize if there was a misunderstanding regarding this and do hope that given the opportunity, that you would stay with us again.
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This Embassy is not a new one, but we slept comfortably. The breakfast was excellent with cook-to-order eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon & sausage. We thought it was welcoming to see the manager going from table to table -- very kind and considerate -- thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your kinds words regarding your recent stay with us. The entire Team works very hard to ensure that all of our guests feel welcome and at home. I am glad that you had a good nights sleep and that your morning got off to a great start with our cooked to order breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back whenever your plans bring you to the area.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was very pleased to find this gem in the heart of a very high-rent part of the country! Typically, we pay more for hotel rooms in Marin County. Furthermore, this property tends to make you feel very pampered, indeed. Evening cocktails, a breakfast made to order with a host who knows you by name after only two mornings? Our room was better than expected and the staff was very good at their jobs. This property is doing everything right, which speaks of great management! We will stay here again this coming April!

Room Tip: We took a conference room on the first floor! Huge and convenient.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for your kind words about the hotel and the staff. We work hard to ensure that our guests feel comfortable and at home while they are with us and it was good to hear that, that was what you felt and experienced. As with all comments I receive from our guest, I will share your comments with the rest of the Team. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring to you to the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Property: Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Address: 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903-2773
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael