Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was very pleased to find this gem in the heart of a very high-rent part of the country! Typically, we pay more for hotel rooms in Marin County. Furthermore, this property tends to make you feel very pampered, indeed. Evening cocktails, a breakfast made to order with a host who knows you by name after only two mornings? Our room was better than expected and the staff was very good at their jobs. This property is doing everything right, which speaks of great management! We will stay here again this coming April!

Room Tip: We took a conference room on the first floor! Huge and convenient.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for your taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for your kind words about the hotel and the staff. We work hard to ensure that our guests feel comfortable and at home while they are with us and it was good to hear that, that was what you felt and experienced. As with all comments I receive from our guest, I will share your comments with the rest of the Team. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring to you to the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stumbled upon the hotel while on a unplanned road trip to SF from LA. Check in was great, price was good. The room was nice, typical for this generation property. Our kids wanted to sleep on the hide a bed so they could have their own tv but when we pulled it out, we found it was dirty including a pretty gross comb left behind from some previous guest. The beds are tired, the linens and blankets thin and lacking. Pillows were pretty past their prime as well. The walls were thin, we could clearly hear our neighbors start their day as they were up before we were. Breakfast was adequate, however the cook for some reason told my daughter that there was a line at the short order grill, to go stand in it yet she was the only person ordering food. Maybe he was just coming off a short nights sleep.

Room Tip: We were on the front of the building and did have vehicle noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to write and post a review of your recent stay with us. I appreciate hearing from our guests-including areas that they feel need improvement. I understand that the pull out sofa in your suite was not properly attended to after the last guest and that your felt that the linens on your bed were thin and worn. I apologize for these oversights as that is not what we want our guests to experience. I have shared your comments with the Housekeeping Team so that they hear things from our guests prespective and know how important it is to complete the tasks for each suite assigned to them each and every day, including changing our linens with new ones that we have available in situations like this one. Constant upkeep and attention to details such as these are very important and I apologize once again. Relative to our Breakfast Cook asking your daughter to get in line to order, when there was no one waiting, honestly is perplexing to me. Again, I have shared the comments with our Kitchen Team and have asked that they be more aware. I do hope that if and when your travels bring you to the area, that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have been here several times but not recently, until 12/26/12, when we took our extended family there. It is similar to all other Embassy suites. We enjoy having the breakfast and cocktail hour when travelling with our family, for some peaceful visiting time. There weren't many appetizers, not like some ES hotels, but there was popcorn and crackers. The drinks were good and strong and breakfast was fine. I think they used to have a better selection of breads and fruit, but they do have a nice breakfast anyhow. The thing that gives this hotel a 4 star rating is it's location...close to San Francisco, but without the cost. It takes about 40 minutes or so to get into the city, but you probably save a good $100 per night by staying outside the city and driving in. We are Gold Hilton Honors members, so our room was on the top floor which helped us avoid masses of children, plus, there weren't a ton of kids here on this visit. We have had that experience in the past and it was awful. I like that they put Hilton Honors members on the top floor, so you can avoid some of the noise, etc. The only drawback is the elevator ride which can be slow at meal times. Overall, a good experience. Our whole family said they were very comfortable and slept extremely well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Our guests feedback is important to me and I was happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you found the hotel to be comfortable and to have the amenities you have come to enjoy when traveling. I also appreciate your comments concerning the evening reception and breakfast and can attest to the fact that the snack and breakfast items have changed over the course of time to meet brand standards and that all Embassy's should be abiding by the same standards. Thank you too for your comments relative to our great location... being between San Francisco and Wine Country. We hear and try and promote that as much as possible knowing that our central location is an ideal alternative to staying in the city for many of our guests/potential guests. Thank you again for your review and kind words.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We love all of the Hilton brands and always enjoy the lovely Embassy buildings. This location was great for our 7 day visit to San Francisco as we were outside the hustle of the City yet an easy commute on the Larkspur Ferry (five minute drive from the Hotel) to Fisherman's Wharf. It allowed us to drive to Muir Woods and Napa Valley quickly and directly.

The Hotel breakfast chef is amazing -- fabulous memory of his "made to order" breakfast customers. The breakfast was excellent. The Manager's Reception munchies were popcorn plus a daily something: ex, nacho chips with queso, etc.

The room was clean and the bed totally fabulous. Everytime we entered our room it had a musty smell, but we quickly turned the AC/Heat unit fan to "on" and the smell disappeared.
I know with the tropical lobbies of the Embassy Suites, the musty smell is most likely due to older carpet and higher than normal building humidity.

The public areas and hallways could use touch up paint. There where enough areas of chipping and scuffing to taint the overall appearance.

However, we intend to complete our exploration of northern California in a few months, and will definitely consider staying here again -- price being the deciding factor.

Room Tip: Drive or take the hotel shuttle across the highway to the NorthGate retail area for restaurants, etc...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

I want to thank you for you kind words and constructive criticism relative to your recent stay with us. It is always good to hear our guests perspective, both the good as well as what could/can be improved upon. I was happy to hear that you found your suite comfortable and that you enjoyed the breakfast. I also appreciate your sharing that there were/are some areas that our maintenance staff needs to touch up, in and around the hotel. It seems like an ever lasting project but one that needs to be kept up on. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I recently returned from a 7-night stay.I've been a customer/guest for many years. I lived in Marin and dined there frequently. When I moved, I returned as a guest frequently. However, after my last visit, I may not return. On several occasions, it was like a playground on steroids. Unaccompanied, undisciplined children were everywhere, running, screaming, hanging over balcony railings and commandeering the elevators. Fortunately there were no accidents, unlike an incident in the 90s when a little girl was playing in her room and ended up falling out the room window. That's why the hotel windows don't open anymore. Will I return to this hotel which I have always liked? Only if the management takes control of the children sitation. It was out of control my last visit (and some times previously, too, but this was insane) A couple of employees tried but couldn't handle the insanity. Some security by the hotel and civility by the parents is desperately needed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank andrew d
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write your review relative to your recent stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guetss-including areas for improvement. I understand that the noise and supervision of children was an issue during your stay and while we do have additional security and overnight personnel during busy time periods, we certainly do encourage, for our guets comfort and safety, that they contact the Front Desk so that we can do everything in our power to calm the situation. There are times, even with our best efforts, that parents and children do not listen and we have had to ask them to leave the hotel. We do take the comfort of our guests seriously and I apologize that your comfort was interupted by other guests. I have shared your review with our Security and management Team so that they are more aware and vigilant in the future. I do hope that the next time you are in the area, that you will consider staying with us.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

My one night at the Embassy Suites in San Raphael was, on balance, adequate. The hotel has the same atrium and room layout that all the hotels in this chain have, although this one has particularly large koi in a pond. They'll come up to you hoping for food if you stand near enough, which is actually kind of neat. Having friendly creatures in a hotel makes being away from home more pleasant, somehow.

The bed was fairly comfortable, and there were many pillows. That was good, because half the pillows were sub-par; one of them felt like it was stuffed with packing peanuts, a few others had synthetic stuffing that had gotten wadded up with repeated use. There were some very comfortable down pillows in the mix, though, so I did have a good night's rest.

The living area was in real need of help. The carpet looked brand new and was quite attractive, but the couches, easy chair, and leather ottomans were all distressingly dirty. The mysterious stains on the couch were in a location that was difficult to avoid, and their color made me hesitate to sit on it. The leather ottomans had pen marks and a mysterious clear substance slicked onto them. (I don't think it was leather polish.) The bathroom was perfectly fine -- they have obviously been making efforts to upgrade the various components of the rooms on a rolling basis, and the bathroom seems to have been revamped before soft furnishings.

Breakfast the next day was a highlight. There is a cold buffet with a nice selection of fruits, cereals, etc. The (free) omelette bar was very good -- I had a very generously-sized, yummy omelette with potatoes and sausage that kept me full and happy all the way to a late lunch.

Overall, I was happy with the value of my stay. It wasn't the Ritz, but I had a comfortable night's sleep in a convenient location, and started my day with a good breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a room that doesn't face the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel based on your recent stay with us. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will definitely consider staying with us again when your travels bring you to the area. I would be remiss if I did not also address your concerns regarding the soft seating in the parlor area of your suite. I have spoken to the Housekeeping staff and asked that they report such items, especially if they can not remedy them themselves as we know, constant upkeep is necessary and their attention to detail such as these are important. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The location is a little remote, meaning you have to drive to restaurants/stores etc. They do have a restaurant on site, but we stayed here a week, so a local grocery nearby was nice as the room has a fridge and a microwave in the mini kitchen area.

Family of 4, with three generations, we appreciated the door in between the sitting room (with table/work space and fold out couch) and two queen bed bedroom. Each room with a TV and lots of storge space. Oh yes, when the couch was folded open as a bed, plenty of space to walk around it.

Bathroom was large and in-between the two rooms (accross from mini kitchen area/sink) creating more space between the two rooms, nice layout.

Rooms themselves decorated very business-like, similar to a slightly dated office, but nicely done marble counter tops and the whole place was very clean. A great room for the price.

Breakfast buffet was good, made to order omlets were nice, because you could get eggs over easy ect... however after a week we were sick of seeing the same thing every day...a slight change would have been good (i.e., pancakes to French toast, Cantalope to Grapefruit), whatever just mix it up a bit you know.

Drive to San Fran was lovely, 20-30 min depending on traffic, but it was so pretty, it seemed like 15). Note; there is a toll every day you cross the bridge...

I read all the negitive reviews, the lobby and large atrium being outdated, it is, but it's not horrible, just a little older, it's still a nice atmosphere, that we very much appreciated (large open space, coy pond, waterfall, lots of tables to sit and mingle, play games, work on computer etc... nice if you have four poeople in a room to have the options).

The indoor pool was nice, it closes to kids at 10, but allows adults only after that, I'm not sure till when, we would use the hot tub and go to bed, but I thought that was a nice option for the adults.

Manager's reception is a free cocktail hour with popcorn, popcorn, popcorn (it got everywhere...) and corn chips with salsa all week.... again a variety here would have been nice, potato chips and dips, pretzles or something, but who stays here all week like we did? Anyway, my son loved the corn.

The front desk was helpful with suggestions, directions etc... and they have a big book of delivery restaurants in the area, so you don't "have" to drive, we ordered in and had some delicious local flavor.

Overall it was a great stay, beds comfy, rooms clean, a open airy feel we all enjoyed and we would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

First of all, thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests-including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad to read from your review that you were treated well by our staff, that you found our beds to be comfortable and that your suite was airy and clean. Our main priority is for all of our guests to feel welcome and to have an enjoyable stay. I do, however understand that you found some features of our hotel to be dated. I can assure you that your feedback is incredibly important to us. In fact, we are looking at different options to upgrade and renovate what we can. Thank you once again for your review. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again when your trvaels bring you to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
Marin Suites Hotel
#2 of 3 in Corte Madera
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Address: 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903-2773
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Price Range: $164 - $302 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
The Embassy Suites San Rafael - Marin County hotel is located just north of San Francisco, a few short steps from the Marin County Convention Center and Civic Center. Set in a scenic area known for its wineries and natural beauty, this upscale San Rafael hotel is within easy reach of attractions including Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, Northgate Shopping Mall, Sausalito and downtown San Francisco. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael