Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
$157
Hotels.com
Marin Lodge(San Rafael)(Great Value!)
$119
$126
$110
Motel 6 San Rafael(San Rafael)
$91
$97
$84
$199
Courtyard
Marin Suites Hotel(Corte Madera)
$159
TripAdvisor
$153
$144
BestWestern.com
Panama Hotel(San Rafael)
1,301 results
All reviewsthe manager's receptionindoor poolfree drinksmade to order breakfastmarin countykoi pondcivic centercomplimentary breakfastbreakfast was excellentwine countrythe breakfast arealiving roommuir woodsthe golden gate bridgeatriumpopcorncouch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My one night at the Embassy Suites in San Raphael was, on balance, adequate. The hotel has the same atrium and room layout that all the hotels in this chain have, although this one has particularly large koi in a pond. They'll come up to you hoping for food if you stand near enough, which is actually kind of neat. Having friendly creatures in a hotel makes being away from home more pleasant, somehow.

The bed was fairly comfortable, and there were many pillows. That was good, because half the pillows were sub-par; one of them felt like it was stuffed with packing peanuts, a few others had synthetic stuffing that had gotten wadded up with repeated use. There were some very comfortable down pillows in the mix, though, so I did have a good night's rest.

The living area was in real need of help. The carpet looked brand new and was quite attractive, but the couches, easy chair, and leather ottomans were all distressingly dirty. The mysterious stains on the couch were in a location that was difficult to avoid, and their color made me hesitate to sit on it. The leather ottomans had pen marks and a mysterious clear substance slicked onto them. (I don't think it was leather polish.) The bathroom was perfectly fine -- they have obviously been making efforts to upgrade the various components of the rooms on a rolling basis, and the bathroom seems to have been revamped before soft furnishings.

Breakfast the next day was a highlight. There is a cold buffet with a nice selection of fruits, cereals, etc. The (free) omelette bar was very good -- I had a very generously-sized, yummy omelette with potatoes and sausage that kept me full and happy all the way to a late lunch.

Overall, I was happy with the value of my stay. It wasn't the Ritz, but I had a comfortable night's sleep in a convenient location, and started my day with a good breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a room that doesn't face the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel based on your recent stay with us. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will definitely consider staying with us again when your travels bring you to the area. I would be remiss if I did not also address your concerns regarding the soft seating in the parlor area of your suite. I have spoken to the Housekeeping staff and asked that they report such items, especially if they can not remedy them themselves as we know, constant upkeep is necessary and their attention to detail such as these are important. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The location is a little remote, meaning you have to drive to restaurants/stores etc. They do have a restaurant on site, but we stayed here a week, so a local grocery nearby was nice as the room has a fridge and a microwave in the mini kitchen area.

Family of 4, with three generations, we appreciated the door in between the sitting room (with table/work space and fold out couch) and two queen bed bedroom. Each room with a TV and lots of storge space. Oh yes, when the couch was folded open as a bed, plenty of space to walk around it.

Bathroom was large and in-between the two rooms (accross from mini kitchen area/sink) creating more space between the two rooms, nice layout.

Rooms themselves decorated very business-like, similar to a slightly dated office, but nicely done marble counter tops and the whole place was very clean. A great room for the price.

Breakfast buffet was good, made to order omlets were nice, because you could get eggs over easy ect... however after a week we were sick of seeing the same thing every day...a slight change would have been good (i.e., pancakes to French toast, Cantalope to Grapefruit), whatever just mix it up a bit you know.

Drive to San Fran was lovely, 20-30 min depending on traffic, but it was so pretty, it seemed like 15). Note; there is a toll every day you cross the bridge...

I read all the negitive reviews, the lobby and large atrium being outdated, it is, but it's not horrible, just a little older, it's still a nice atmosphere, that we very much appreciated (large open space, coy pond, waterfall, lots of tables to sit and mingle, play games, work on computer etc... nice if you have four poeople in a room to have the options).

The indoor pool was nice, it closes to kids at 10, but allows adults only after that, I'm not sure till when, we would use the hot tub and go to bed, but I thought that was a nice option for the adults.

Manager's reception is a free cocktail hour with popcorn, popcorn, popcorn (it got everywhere...) and corn chips with salsa all week.... again a variety here would have been nice, potato chips and dips, pretzles or something, but who stays here all week like we did? Anyway, my son loved the corn.

The front desk was helpful with suggestions, directions etc... and they have a big book of delivery restaurants in the area, so you don't "have" to drive, we ordered in and had some delicious local flavor.

Overall it was a great stay, beds comfy, rooms clean, a open airy feel we all enjoyed and we would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Pat S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

First of all, thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests-including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad to read from your review that you were treated well by our staff, that you found our beds to be comfortable and that your suite was airy and clean. Our main priority is for all of our guests to feel welcome and to have an enjoyable stay. I do, however understand that you found some features of our hotel to be dated. I can assure you that your feedback is incredibly important to us. In fact, we are looking at different options to upgrade and renovate what we can. Thank you once again for your review. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again when your trvaels bring you to the area.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The interior is dated as so are the rooms but all is kept pretty clean and in good working order. I asked for a quiet room and that is exactly what they gave me. I slept well. Beds, TV and internet service were all good. I do however wish the hotel would provide free in room Wifi as $ 9.95 is poor policy. I would definitely stay here again but might also consider the competition (Sheraton) if they provide free Wifi.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate your candor and comments relative to ways that we can improve. I was happy to hear that you had a good experience with our staff. Our main objective is to ensure that all of our guests feel that this is their home away from home. I do, however understand that Wi-Fi charges were an issue during your stay and can assure you that I have taken your comments into consideration as we are currently looking into providing our guests different internet options. I do hope that the next time you return to the area, that you consider staying with us again.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Although, the decor of the common area of the hotel is dated, it was clean. They had a large dining are to accomodate seating for all the people eating the breakfast.

The rooms were not as dated looking. The bed is a "Hilton grade" bedding and mattress. Very comfortable. They have flat screen TV's in both rooms. Did not hear any outside noises. Hotel is in a business area but easy to get on and off the freeway.

We stayed there two nights as our base for a full day of golf and wine in Sonoma. On a Saturday morning it only took 20 min. to drive to the center of the city of Sonoma. I will stay here again if I am lucky enough to make it back to the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vickie W
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Attending a conference, a friend and I recently shared a two bed room which turned out to be a suite - with a spacious living room with TV - as the hotel name indicates clearly!. Very clean and comfortable with all needed amenities including a fridge and a microwave and kettle with lots of coffee and tea refill and a nice selection of toiletry.

Helpful staff. Breakfast were fantastic, a deal for the day! And Happy hour drinks and snacks a nice free surprise to me...The North Gate mall nearby within walking distance is a must when you come from abroad to get a taste of American consumerism or need retail shopping therapy. I found everything from top notch pruning shears to very affordable designer shoes.

The only drawbacks were that Wi Fi would have been an extra $10 in the room and the free business center only 2 computers was quite busy at times with people not respecting the 15 mins limitation. And that when you use the pool or gym, you can change in the restroom but know that there is no shower available, which implies you need to get back to your room all sweaty or wet through.

It is a must to get out of the hotel, a city in the city. It can become claustrophobic. I enjoyed driving to the Muir Woods, the Muir beach and eating out at down town San Rafael.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business