“Beware of "full" size beds. Arrive early when sold out.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We recently spent Friday and Saturday nights at this hotel while attending a conference next door. Since I had booked my room months earlier, we were not in a particular hurry to arrive on Friday night. The room was guaranteed, and I had confirmed it the day before.

Interestingly, when we arrived at about 10:00 PM, the clerk at the desk mentioned that we got the last room. I wasn't surprised that they were sold out due to the conference. However, I mentioned that I was surprised we were the last people to arrive for the night. I figured some people would be arriving later. He told me that we weren't the last to arrive, but that we got the last room. He said had arranged for people arriving later to stay at the Marriott 7 miles away. I didn't push for details, but it sounded like the hotel had been overbooked, and the last few people to arrive would be sent 7 miles away. If that had happened to me, I would have been absolutely furious, since I booked the hotel months in advance specifically so I would be right there at the conference.

It all worked out fine for me, since we got a room. But assuming I understood the situation correctly, I felt pretty bad for people arriving after us! In any case, my recommendation would be to arrive early when the hotel is sold out, just to avoid any possible issues.

The room was fine. It was a suite, of course, and it had two beds as we had requested. (One bed was for our son, and the other was for my wife and me.) Unfortunately, the beds were full size, not queens or kings. I guess I didn't notice the bed size when I booked the room. Anything less than a queen is a little too cozy for my wife and me to share comfortably. So, I am always very disappointed when I end up in a room with only full size beds. I need to learn to pay more attention to that when I book. Anyway, I recommend checking the bed size when you book and make sure you are getting what you want.

In this case, it actually worked out fine. Since the room was a suite, our son got the pull-out couch, and my wife and I each got our own full bed. It wasn't ideal, but at least we all got a good night's sleep. If I had noticed the bed size when I made the reservation, I would have booked a king bed for us, and simply planned on our son getting the pull-out couch. That would have been a better solution.

On a positive note, the location of the hotel is obviously ideal for access to the conference center. Also, the free breakfast in the morning is pretty good. This is my second time to the hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for a future conference.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Jim_and_Barbie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed a couple of nights in mid-September while doing the tourist thingy north of SF (wine country, Muir Woods, Sausalito, etc.) Found this Embassy Suites to be the finest one among the 6 or 7 that we've experienced nationwide. Staff was the happiest perhaps in any hotel ever, the free breakfast was the best quality, and the free happy hour was the most lively. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J_T_K_Mb
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We live in the area and rented this property twice during a re-model of your home: once through a third party and a second time directly from the hotel. The first time we were assigned a smoking room with no apology. (in fact were told, "through a third party, you take your chances"). The room was foul, a window that opened just a few inches hardy helped. It very much colored our experience. We had already paid full fee for 2 weeks later in the summer. We were non-plussed with the idea, but checked in - this time, to a room that didn't smell of smoke. Apparently we had reserved this room directly, and checked the "non smoking" option. The hotel staff, in general, are warm, friendly and helpful The free breakfast and happy hour are generous, tasty offerings. THERE IS NO FREE WIFI, but the staff waived several days of fees (without asking). All things considered, our second stay was very good.

Room Tip: Book directly through Embassy Suites so as to avoid a smoking room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LeChat123
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I always appreciate a complimentary breakfast that has decent protein options. Eggs cooked to order are always on the morning menu. The evening reception is also very nice. Snacks and drinks in the lobby let you relax for a bit and enjoy the lobby.

Info not related to the hotel:
If you're a Frank Lloyd Wright fan, his Civic Center is right down the road. It's a very different building for him, but worth a look since you'd be in the neighborhood.

This place has a tricky exit from the highway. I'm really glad we had GPS. Using the Civic Center exit would be a better choice for those less adventurous.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anita B
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The lobby was beautiful but obviously you have to sleep in your room. The room was adequate but not worth $150+ a night. Maintenance was poor. We reported a leaky sink the first hour we were there (sink constantly leaked water) was never fixed. An elevator was broken for 4 days. There are not any exhaust fans in the bathrooms. (How do you build a hotel and not put exhaust fans in the bathrooms?)

The breakfast was mostly edible. Nothing special, the cooks did not listen to your omelette orders for their custom breakfasts. I requested mushrooms and onions and no cheese, got cheese and no mushrooms and onions.

All this for the measly price of more than $150 per night. Oh BTW $10 extra for internet access per night.

Next time I am in San Rafael I will sleep somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I took my sister here after not seeing her for a long time. I'm a huge fan of Embassy Suites so I expected nothing less than perfection. But my sister thought it was a palace! She was in awe of the decor, the water falls, the koi pond etc that most of us are so familiar with. The gentleman at the front desk was not only extremely efficient and personable, he said our timing was 'perfect'. Apparently they had just run out of double queen suites and he would need to upgrade us to a two bedroom suite! Oh darn! Of course the suite was beautiful, comfortable and clean. Of course, the manager's reception and morning breakfast were great. Of course, the beds were really comfy.
For out of towner's who wish to be in the middle of San Francisco and the Wine Country, the location is perfect. It's about a 20 minute drive in each direction. But there is so much to see in Marin as well. Check with the concierge.
The hotel is surrounded by the beautiful hills of Marin County set way back from the highway across to where there is a shopping mall with lots of great shops and restaurants. That said, my sister and I enjoyed an absolutely delicious dinner at the hotel restaurant Grille 101. So for our overall experience, we give ES-San Rafael two big thumbs up!!

Room Tip: I always prefer a higher floor preferably with a view....in this case the hills of Marin County.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank cydona46
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Our family booked several suites at Embassy Suites. Was a good choice for families with children since there was a large bedroom and large living room, giving the kids plenty of space to play. Was not necessary for a couple since we did not need all that space. We were seldom in our room and just a bedroom and bathroom would have been adequate. It was not worth the price we paid. The furniture was worn and carpets needed a shampooing. Housekeeping could have been better. There was the same piece of dirt on the carpet between the beds for several days. It apparently had not been vacuumed. The bathroom was cleaned adequately .

There was a lovely lobby with a fish pond which appealed to the children and adults. There were complimentary drinks and snacks in the early evening.

The lobby area near the pool smelled of chlorine which indicates that the pool was not adequately cleaned so they used more chlorine to kill the bacteria.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. In general we had a pleasant stay . There was a park nearby and hotel was best for families.

There was business center in the lobby with free internet but not in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Marin Suites Hotel
Marin Suites Hotel
#2 of 3 in Corte Madera
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Address: 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903-2773
Location: United States > California > Marin County > San Rafael
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Price Range: $164 - $307 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center 3.5*
The Embassy Suites San Rafael - Marin County hotel is located just north of San Francisco, a few short steps from the Marin County Convention Center and Civic Center. Set in a scenic area known for its wineries and natural beauty, this upscale San Rafael hotel is within easy reach of attractions including Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, Northgate Shopping Mall, Sausalito and downtown San Francisco. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael