We recently spent Friday and Saturday nights at this hotel while attending a conference next door. Since I had booked my room months earlier, we were not in a particular hurry to arrive on Friday night. The room was guaranteed, and I had confirmed it the day before.
Interestingly, when we arrived at about 10:00 PM, the clerk at the desk mentioned that we got the last room. I wasn't surprised that they were sold out due to the conference. However, I mentioned that I was surprised we were the last people to arrive for the night. I figured some people would be arriving later. He told me that we weren't the last to arrive, but that we got the last room. He said had arranged for people arriving later to stay at the Marriott 7 miles away. I didn't push for details, but it sounded like the hotel had been overbooked, and the last few people to arrive would be sent 7 miles away. If that had happened to me, I would have been absolutely furious, since I booked the hotel months in advance specifically so I would be right there at the conference.
It all worked out fine for me, since we got a room. But assuming I understood the situation correctly, I felt pretty bad for people arriving after us! In any case, my recommendation would be to arrive early when the hotel is sold out, just to avoid any possible issues.
The room was fine. It was a suite, of course, and it had two beds as we had requested. (One bed was for our son, and the other was for my wife and me.) Unfortunately, the beds were full size, not queens or kings. I guess I didn't notice the bed size when I booked the room. Anything less than a queen is a little too cozy for my wife and me to share comfortably. So, I am always very disappointed when I end up in a room with only full size beds. I need to learn to pay more attention to that when I book. Anyway, I recommend checking the bed size when you book and make sure you are getting what you want.
In this case, it actually worked out fine. Since the room was a suite, our son got the pull-out couch, and my wife and I each got our own full bed. It wasn't ideal, but at least we all got a good night's sleep. If I had noticed the bed size when I made the reservation, I would have booked a king bed for us, and simply planned on our son getting the pull-out couch. That would have been a better solution.
On a positive note, the location of the hotel is obviously ideal for access to the conference center. Also, the free breakfast in the morning is pretty good. This is my second time to the hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for a future conference.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Embassy Suites San Rafael - Marin County hotel is located just north of San Francisco, a few short steps from the Marin County Convention Center and Civic Center. Set in a scenic area known for its wineries and natural beauty, this upscale San Rafael hotel is within easy reach of attractions including Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, Northgate Shopping Mall, Sausalito and downtown San Francisco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / San Rafael
- Embassy Suites San Rafael
- San Rafael Embassy Suites