“Amazing Experience”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed May 7, 2019

We learned of this restaurant from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Upon arrival, the restaurant was full, we ordered based on servers recommendations and were quickly seated. The food arrived quickly and was so delicious. It was frankly amazing nad I would highly recommend to anyone in the San Rafael area!

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed March 31, 2019 via mobile

I am a regular at Sol Food. I keep going back because the food is wholesome. It appeals to the American palate, and if you want to add a little kick to your meal the yummy sauce is readily available on every table. It's almost always crowded but the line moves quickly and sometimes you end up sharing space with strangers who may become friends by the time your meal is over. The service is good, staff is professional. My must haves are the ribs which they usually run out of, and the garlic tostones, fried green plantains. Definitely stop in next time you're in San Rafael.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed March 13, 2019 via mobile

The food, the atmosphere, and the people are all so great! You come in, order from the extensive menu of Puerto Rican food, and find a seat (or are directed to a seat by waitstaff), and eat up! If you want to try something new, this is a great place to do it! The dining area is small but, they were able to accommodate our party of 15 without too long of a wait. The vibe of this place is also super colorful and fun.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 28, 2019 via mobile

We stopped here for a late lunch. This place is VERY popular and hitting it off peak time was a good move. I had the po boy sandwich. It was quite tasty.

The atmosphere is kinda tropical/rustic. It is an order at the counter and your food is brought to the table venue. People had raved about it. It was good, it was different.

Not sure if given the opportunity I'd return. Maybe.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed February 23, 2019

I read all these five stars review, and I wonder what I've missed.
Let's start with the good - The sandwiches are REALLY good. We had the Cubano (Roast pork, ham, mustard, mayo, pickles and Swiss cheese on French bread) which was a four and a half stars sandwich and the Bistec (Thinly sliced steak and sauteed onions, avocado, Swiss cheese and garlic mayonnaise on French bread) which was a strong five-star. Ingredients were fresh, the bread was crunchy, and the sauces on the table added the "punch" needed to make it a great sandwich meal.
I wish we stopped there, though. We also got the Costillas combo - Rotisserie pork rib dinner served with rice, beans, organic salad, and fried plantain/French fries. Boy, was this a mistake.
Pork rib is a thinly sliced steak that was dry and tasteless. The rice was... well, just regular rice. Beans were mixed with olives, which was very weird to me but I guess I'm just not used to this type of beans/olives mix. French fries were uninspiring. We were starving, but we left most of side dishes on the plate. We came with high hopes after reading the reviews but left pretty hungry and disappointed.

P.S - As people mentioned, there might be a line, but it moves fairly quickly. We had a dozen people ahead of us, and we were seated within 10 minutes. You might get a shared table. Service was quick and friendly.

Date of visit: February 2019