“Yum!”

Sol Food Puerto Rican Cuisine
Ranked #1 of 229 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Puerto Rican
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Marin County
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

Take me to Miami!!!! Love it! Marin has needed this type of dishes for a while now! Love the Bisteca and they have pinto beans to die for (mixed with olives and potatoes!)! My husband is big on the cubano sandwhich! They have 2 places downtown- I prefer the small one where you sit outside next to the banana plants and watch the downtown action. ;)

Merced, CA
“Terrific food, like my Mom used to make...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

Terrific food, like my Mom used to make. An authentic "criollo" feel to the place.

Franklin, Tennessee
“fun atmosphere awesome food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

I went there tonight with a friend and my young child. We had 1 plate each. She had the daily special-whole Tilapia and I had the smal protion of Bistec Encelbollado. I had not eaten Puerto Rican before, so I didn't know what to expect. It was not overly spicey at all, the black beans and rice were nicely flavored, not overpowering. I think I did like her dish better with the fish, but we shared both plates. Both dishes included a choice of black beans or pinto beans, organic greens in a house vinegarette (yummy), and sweet or salty plantains. We both got the sweet plantains. Plantains were great!
THE FESH LIMEADES ARE AWESOME!!!!!! I didn't look at the price before ordering, or I may have opted for water (3.75), I just saw the industrial juicer in the corner, so I knew it had to be good and was it ever! They serve it in a large jar, so ask for a plastic cup and you can take the remainder of your drink home!
I am pregnant and think I may stop again before I leave town this week, just to get some plantains and a limeade. Also, my toddler eats avocado, fish and a variety of foods, so he did fine. I didn't see a children's menu and any other child under 7 or 8 in there. Decor was awesome with weathered painted doors lining one wall and tropical plants all around the restaurant. A enjoyable dining experience, both for the tummy and the eye!

Rome,Georgia
“don't let location fool you--this is terrific food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Food is terrific. Seating is very poor but food makes it worth the inconvenience.

Northern California
“Good, hip and close to cheap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

When the chain (two stores) opened it was and immediate success, well deserved. I like the food, the service is average to above average and the ambiance is controlled chaos. The decor is uber hip with style. The trick is to get in without a line and i don't know when that is, but it's not when I'm there. If you can handle noisy and crowded, this is among the best food that money can buy in San Rafael.