“Nina made North Bay Inn perfect for a return visit”

North Bay San Rafael
North Bay San Rafael
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Los Angeles, California
“Nina made North Bay Inn perfect for a return visit”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I read all the reviews that had trouble with reservations, but my experience was just the opposite. Maybe I'm more careful?

On a trip to surprise Dad for Father's Day, my sister and I drove up from San Diego/LA and Nina made the trip much easier. She confirmed my reservation by phone (there may be a delay or disconnect in the online booking system, and the fax machine was broken, and the contact email on the site was down, but I ALWAYS call to talk to a human at the desk at the location when I travel -- and I met Nina, so glad I did.) The desk Guy gave me a back-up email address, Nina answered the phone on the first ring to help with directions when the map was dumb (follow the Exit #, NOT the street name since those duplicate in that area), and we were in good hands.

It's a simple little motor court, but it's clean, quiet, central, easy in and out, free parking right at your room, and perfect for our needs. We were delighted to find that we qualified for a lower rate upon extending our stay, and Nina handled all of it personally... I felt like she was really pleased to host us. She warned my sister about changed street names, gave good directions, and had a warm easy way -- nothing lazy or snobby or off-putting. We were in her place and she was glad to have us.

Our double room was clean and fresh, newly decorated, with a good breeze, a fridge (I turn them down at night for quiet, then back up in the morning), a microwave, great TV, desk with good chair & lighting... and I love the black-out curtains. [TIP: bring a paperclip or clothespin to keep hotel room curtains closed against the dawn sunlight.]

I'm not a coffee/breakfast snacker, but you could get some complementary packaged goodies at the desk (don't call it a lobby, call it the check-in counter) to munch in your room on on your way on the road... it's a terrific room to base from, not a resort. Housekeeping was swell on our two nights, great bed & linens, and it was surprisingly quiet... a good steam shower, too.

We were out of the room from morning to night both days, but when we were in it, it was all we needed. And at such a nice rate that I'm going back for a visit later this month... it's just 4 minutes from the sweetest little town center, so I look forward to exploring with the North Bay Inn as my base. It's a great value with a personal touch.

Room Tip: Some upstairs (2nd floor) kind rooms have a little outdoor balcony, so no one walks past your room w...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank privateBuyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
new mexico
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We came here because of prior T.A. reviews. We were not disappointed. The room was small. but comfortable. it was clean and bright, with pictures on the walls. We had 2 double beds, microwave, refrigerator, HD TV, a small table (with lamp) for my laptop, and a land-line Internet connection. There was an abundance of 20W CFLs (about 100 Watt incandescent) that provided plenty of light. The continental breakfast was minimal - packaged Danish, juice, hot coffee, tea, chocolate. For the price paid, it was a value. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank smoked333
hong kong
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I had not stayed here before, but it was in the neighborhood where I had a business meeting, so I took a chance.
I found the front desk people friendly & helpful, and was frankly surprised at the value.
Very pleasant, clean room. Not noisy. Free breakfast, HD TV. All-in-all, Excellent Value!
I recommend this place without exception!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank maibinmb
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I am recommending this hotel because it's a very nice and amiable place to stay and not to mention the price are resonable, the place is sparky clean and stuff is helpful. What most impressed me was how clean it was and I mean even the closet was dusted. The rooms are stylish decorated, the beds are so comfortable, you will fall sleep as soon as you lay down. What more the motel is centrally located, only 20 min from sf and to close to restaurants and shopping area. Even though the motel is close to freeway, the rooms are very quiet. It's a small motel but if you like the feeling of being home then this is the place. I read the old review and i must say they are true. I dont know why people would write such a thing unless it was there own reason to be turn down. The place, staff and the hotel it self is incredible. Your money is well spent.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank miaowsaidthekitty
Culver City, California
Reviewed December 27, 2010

For a two star motel it was just fine. I stayed there for 3 nights and my room was cleaned each day. The morning instant coffee in the lobby was the best instant coffee I ever had.
The staff was very polite nice and friendly. The location is not the greatest, but if you just want an affordable place to sleep while visiting sites of the Bay Area and or your family it is great. Not sure why it has so many bad reviews.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ventura County Coast, California
Reviewed October 5, 2010

From the moment I saw this place I had a bad feeling about it. From the outside it looks like a cheap, rundown motel, and it's in a rundown area, separated from the freeway by only the street and a chain-link fence. The "lobby" is the size of a postage stamp, and is poorly lit. The staff isn't "staff", it's members of a family who are running back and forth between the front desk and their kitchen. I made a reservation on their own website for a king room, which was confirmed, with a request that I be located away from the street. But the only room they had "available" was not a king, and was right next to the street and freeway. I didn't feel safe being so close to the street, and the whole place just had a creepy feeling to it. And even though they could all speak English, they spoke to each other in a foreign language, in front of me, and that came across as rude. I chose not to stay there, and instead drove down the road to the ESA, which was not only very nice, but also less expensive than the North Bay dump!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Aimless

Travelers are raving about these San Rafael hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2010

My husband and I spent a great 2 weeks in the Napa Valley and decided last minute to drive to SFO the night before our flight home. We usually stay in Holiday Inn Express or similar but we couldn't find any availability and booked this place through a visitor centre. The room cost $80 + tax. We arrived and were told there was no reservation but after some confusion with the desk clerk we were allocated a room. The warning bell should have rung when he explained that breakfast was served in the shower cubicle sized reception area (which only had room for 2 people to stand). Our room had a stale smell, shabby bedding (the pillow slips had holes and hair which didn't belong to us!!. I reported this to the guy on reception. He said the owner would be back in an hour and I should tell her. He then came to our room and handed me some other shabby pillow slips and said the hair probably belonged to the girl who serviced the room!! There was a rim of dust, fluff and an earring along the edge of the carpet. It was obvious it hadn't been cleaned for some time. I spoke to the owner when we checked out and she was not in the least surprised at our comments on her motel. She apologised and said it was the fault of the girls who cleaned the rooms and she would speak to them. She said that she would comp our next visit and was still not surprised when I told her we would never stay at her establishment again. The noise from the nearby Highway 501 was the least of the problems with this place. My recommendation is that you keep driving and avoid this motel at all costs.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ToogoodTrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
Marin Suites Hotel
#2 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to North Bay San Rafael? Share your experiences!