“Only fair experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Cork, Ireland
“Only fair experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Bed linen was clean and fresh but the room did not smell fresh. Breakfast served in very small area with only one small coffee table for 2 people. Easy to find off the motorway.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

I found a bed bug in the bathroom. The toilet was dirty and didn't flush. I had trouble with the door card. I am very itchy and I was only in the room for about 15 minutes. The refrigerator didn't have the right plug for the outlet. The television sound didn't work. I found another place to stay. I am paying twice as much. I am contacting the health department. Trying to get a cancellation. Management is trash! This motel is trash!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Carleton Place, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

We were advised by a friend that the best way to see San Francisco, cheaply, was to stay in San Rafael, take the ferry from Larkspur to the Ferry Plaza in San Francisco and use the day pass for all the transportation. The motel is about 15 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge and about 2 minutes from the Ferry. There is a Buger King close by. The room is very clean. We booked the room for 3 nights, so got a 25% discount, so it was only $48 before tax. Those were the good things….the door would never open right away for us with the card…we usually had to try 5 or 6 times to get it to work. There was no chain on the inside of the door. The free Internet was not working and we were told to log onto a neighbouring motel’s wireless WiFi. Plug in’s did not work in the room and when I advised the staff, they were very optimistic that it would be fixed the next day, but it wasn’t. Car alarm’s went off during the night, outside our door. We received phone calls, in the middle of the night. The continental breakfast was in the tiny lobby..coffee, juice, cereal, fruit, bagels, which are the usual breakfast foods….but there was no where to toast the bagel! You had to bring everything across the parking lot to your room! The staff was friendly and seemed to be helpful….but never really were. We would not stay here again, but will try another motel in San Rafael and take the Ferry to San Francisco.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Positive: frige and microwave, good and clean pool, close to the Ferry if you want to go directly to downtown San Francisco.
Negative: the bear bites (their breakfast) very basic, not compare to others Travelodge, the room s carpet was not so clean as we expected to be.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GustavoBuenosAires
Santa Clarita, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Not being familiar with the area and only needing a quick stay for one night while visiting a cousin, I decided to go cheap. OMG!!! First, the desk clerk was extremely unfriendly and rude to me. No rooms were ready at 1pm. Really ? No rooms ready? Not even one? It's not like it's a busy place or in a tourist area. The clerk was just being mean because it wasn't 2pm. There were NO cars in the parking lot! Third and lastly, the room was clean - okay, but after waiting an hour for my room key and worried about the safety of the area, I just decided to not stay there. It was so uncomfortably wierd and scary with prostitutes and drug dealers pulling into the hotel during the day and driving brand new Cadillacs, that as a single woman staying there, i did not feel safe. This was during the afternoon - so I just left and went somewhere else. Far away. I will NEVER stay here and don't recommend this "motel" at all and lesson learned for me to really check the area reviews and never go cheap in a hotel again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Diane W
reno nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

This was an object lesson about the ways in which indifference to the customer can turn perfectly acceptable into not-so-good. We were early. About 2 hours before the 1pm we were told was check in time. They said to come back in an hour. When we returned, we watched the housekeepers clean several rooms for which nobody was waiting, while we "tailgated" - making sandwhiches in the parking lot of the motel. After a long drive, we'd have preferred a room. Small place - maybe 30 doors. Cleaning a room out of sequence would have cost them nothing. The wife seemed to understand that they were in the people business. The husband? Not so much. Pleasant enough people. Rooms perfectly adequate. Neighborhood fine. (some reviews said bad area, but that's elitist b.s.) We'd stay there again at the same room rate we paid (low for the season they said). It pays to book way ahead I guess.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed equivalent to me. Near freeway, but not overly noisy to us.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank enlightenedredneck
Fresno, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Front desk staff bordered on being rude. Ungrateful- did not hear "thank you" "welcome" "Can I help you?" the entire stay. When I couldn't find the ID for the credit card we used right away the front desk person said "Well, we are booked, so..." as if they didn't need my business. Keep in mind that they had already charged our card and we had every bit of other IDs, besides the a driver license, which we had forgotten at home.

Room was run down- light at the end of the hall where our room was, was not turned on when we arrived at 7:30 PM. Phone in room didn't work. The "handicap accessible" room that we needed for my elderly, disabled Dad had a shower/bath ombo. that you had to take a high step into- so he couldn't bathe the night we stayed there!

Then my aunt came to visit (she forgot her cell phone) and went to the front desk to find us and no one was there to help her- this was a Sunday morning. Wow, so impressive- not!

So- this stay here TOTALLY SUCKED, we will not stay here again, if we can help it. I seriously doubt their parent company wants their hotel run this way!

PS. Two different people were complaining about the hotel to me in the "lobby" and in the parking lot. I'm not the only one who thinks this place sucks.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
BEST WESTERN Corte Madera Inn
BEST WESTERN Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to Travelodge San Rafael? Share your experiences!