“A reasonably priced venue”

Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were in the area for a wedding. Stayed four nights. Most of the hotels in the Tiburon and Mill Valley area were much more expensive. Price and location were our principle criteria. This place was about a 20 minute drive from the wedding events. The hotel is located in an industrial section of San Rafael. Not a problem for us, but if you want to be able to walk to restaurants and attractions, this is not the place for you. Our room was clean and quite adequate for our purposes. We didn't use the cook-top, but found the refrigerator handy. Weekly maid service is standard; more frequently is available at an extra charge. The "breakfast" offerings were limited to small individually wrapped muffins like you might find in a vending machine, apples and oranges, granola bars and instant oatmeal. Barely adequate in my view. Free wi-fi was slow. Up charges for faster speeds. Pool was closed for renovation during our stay. No restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom G

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Prior to booking, I had read reviews of other Extended Stay hotels in the local area, and thought this one seemed the most benign, with many favorable comments and reviews from travelers who seemed to really enjoy their stay.

For those who prefer brevity in their hotel reviews: NO bedbugs. Clean bathroom. Spotty "free" internet with an upcharge for faster speeds. Funky smell. Pets are allowed for a fee. Staff not rude, but not pleasant, either. There are probably better places to stay for the money, but the kitchenette was nice.

For the rest of you:
First - the location. If you are not a Northern California native, you may not be aware that this location is practically walking distance from San Quentin prison. Not that the prison or its residents are a threat - they're not, of course. But the result is that there's not a lot of residential or even retail space near this hotel, it's mostly industrial offices and automotive shops, and a number of frustrating loops and one-way streets to navigate. Nowhere within walking distance for food or drink. There is, however, a small walking path next to the water that was quite pretty, and useful for dogwalking.

Upon check-in, I was charged the full amount for our intended stay (two weeks) even though they advertise that for stays of a week or more, they only charge a week at a time. I clarified this with another staff person later in our stay, who apologized and reassured me that I'd be credited any overcharged money when we checked out. Still, something worth being aware of when you're checking in, especially if money is tight.

The first thing we noticed is that our room had an unpleasant odor - just strong enough that we noticed it every single time we re-entered the room. Urine vs mold vs ???? If we had stayed the full two weeks, we would have had to ask for a new room - since we only stayed 5 nights, we decided to tough it out with an air-freshener - seemed like it would have been more of a hassle to ask for a new room than to just deal with it for a few days.

Another issue we chose to keep to ourselves is that the deadbolt did not lock. We weren't out of the room enough for it to matter, but again - had we stayed longer or been out more often, this would have been a real concern. The one window was difficult to lock, difficult to unlock, and difficult to slide open once we got it unlocked - hard to get any fresh air. A/C fortunately was nice and cold.

One issue we did notify staff about was a broken desk chair, which they replaced for us later in the evening.

The kitchen area included two large and two small plates, two bowls, two sets of silverware, two plastic cups, and two mugs. Small coffeemaker that we never bothered with, as they serve "grab and go" breakfast in the morning from 6-9:30am in the front lobby. Breakfast, by the way, includes coffee, individually wrapped muffins, granola bars, packets of oatmeal, and fruit. We were also supplied with a cutting board, dish drain, and dishtowels. The electric stove-top was fully functional and very useful for preparing meals; they also provided a pot, pan, and spatula. Honestly, the kitchen was probably the best part of this room.

When we checked out, I was reassured that the overcharged money (over $1000) was refunded to my credit card. As of this review, the refund has not yet shown up in my transaction log for the account. In the middle of the check-out process, the front desk staff-person answered a phone call, and decided to start booking the phone reservation while we were in mid-transaction. Came off as a really disrespectful move - a customer service fail. I will absolutely follow up on making sure that I am refunded the money I am due - and I am highly unlikely to book at an Extended Stay hotel again as a result of this experience. I've surely had worse experiences in a hotel, but I have also had far, far better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank nursenicole329
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Short and sweet. Makes you feel at home away from home. Used to be an extended stay deluxe so WAY WAY nicer than other extended stays plus they gave us a corporate rate for my job. Thank you to everyone there

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights and found this to be a place I'll definitely come back to when I return to Marin. It's convenient, friendly hotel staff and clean,comfortable beds. Teresa was at the front desk and helped us with a usb converter we needed. My room had a great kitchen with full size fridge and stove top. This was a plus for keeping leftovers and drinks cold. The rooms aren't sound proof but are pretty standard for hotels of this price category. I had no problem sleeping even early in the evening. I'll be staying there again.

Room Tip: Just tell the hotel clerk what you need and they will help you.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review about your stay at our hotel. I am very excited to share your remarks with the staff. They will be so happy to know that our property and their service accommodated your needs.

Thank you again for your comments. We are so glad that you had a good couple nights rest and hope to be your destination hotel for your next trip.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I only had to stay one night but if I needed to stay longer it would be here. Has a good size kitchen with full fridge, microwave as well as plates and utensils. Was able to save money by not going out to eat (and eat much healthier). Nice staff, quiet, easily accessible.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have traveled at least twice a month before I retired two years ago,but this was only my second time at an Extended Stay hotel. I was pleasantly surprised. It was great and one of the front desk staff was fantastic.Her name was Theresa.I spent a lot of time in and around the lobby,because I didn't want to disturb my family while they were resting. She offered me coffee every 15 minutes, suggested places to eat, and just made me feel comfortable. I even saw her helping a young man stranded without cash, but with a credit card. A taxi driver just dumped him at the front door after taking all of his cash. The price of a room was too much there, so she found another hotel in the area, and made the reservations for him. Since he didn't have any cash, she even gave him some of her own money to cover the cost of a shuttle that would take him to the other hotel.He had a lot of luggage and a bicycle. She was truly amazing.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Walter C
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was needing somewhere not to far from Richmond where work was being done on my boat and found the Extended Stay experience! For people who are travelling especially with dogs, it is perfect! The first time was in St Rafael and the second time in Hill Top, both were very good! It is fantastic to have a little kitchen with a huge fridge, a good TV, nice room with a sofa and a huge bed! What else do you need! Very friendly staff and in general both hotels were just what the doctor ordered! I will now always look for Extended Stay when I need a hotel!

Room Tip: The rooms seems to vary in size and they have a large air conditioning unit which can make a bit of...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
North Bay San Rafael
North Bay San Rafael
#6 of 8 in San Rafael

Been to Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East? Share your experiences!