“Customer Service Sucks.”
Review of Marin Lodge

Marin Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I called the place after reading all the reviews. Mrs. Patel wasn't too friendly after responding to her questions she came back at me telling me I didn't have to be mean. She eventually told me they didn't have double beds available. I checked AAA online and I completed my registration. I called Mrs. Patel back to ask about her availability and told her about my online search. her reply was "why don't you do it online"! I made my point.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We chose this hotels based on the reviews and great price. However, I would have spent more for a cleaner motel. The hotel looks like it has been recently renovated, but unless they start taking care of it, the new look certainly will become worn fast. The people that checked us in (unclear if they were the owners) were neither warm or welcoming. While the room looked very nice and inviting a closer look showed it left something to be desired. The shag bathroom rug was filthy. It was left on the toilet when we came in so they probably just mopped the bathroom floor and left it without laundering it. Who ever was in the room before us had pretty dirty feet! I went to use the shower gel provided in the shower and opened it to find a long blonde hair all wrapped around the inside of the cap. Apparently it was old and left in the shower instead of thrown out. I went to dry my face and there was a long black hair on on the face towel (I don't have long black or blonde hair) The ice machine was broken. The blow dryer in the bathroom was broken. My conclusion is this motel came and went. Someone spent some money on renovating it, but no one is spending money on keeping it up. So I guess if you go soon, it may be nice (although I question the cleanliness), if you wait to long it will not.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SandJT
Reviewed August 5, 2013

A friend recommended this little gem to me. Based on the price I thought I would be at a budget motel, I was pleasantly surprised to find a modern, clean, and spacious room. Located in San Rafael the Colonial Inn is easy to find, about a 45 minute drive (no traffic) from SFO. The rooms have all been recently remodeled and have flat screen TV's, included in-room (and fast) WiFi, small fridge, work station, coffee maker, hair dryer, and microwave. Book online at their website and get the $79/night rate. Bed was super comfy and large, plenty of parking, and fairly friendly attendant. Location is prime, close to many great little Marin towns, easy access to the ferry to SF, or if you have a car about a 30 minute drive into the city across GG. Also a great location to make a day trip to explore Point Reyes. Hard to beat this wallet friendly find. Book well in advance, when I tried to add an extra night about two weeks before my travel date they were sold out (only about 20 rooms).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Albatross37
Reviewed July 20, 2013

On a QUICK trip through San Francisco and Wine Country, with only one night to stay, this motel was perfect. We wanted to stay in Napa/Sonoma area, but almost every hotel required a multi-night stay. Based on current reviews (don't worry about the ones before the remodeling), we took a chance and booked it. Close to Sonoma, close to San Francisco, easy on/off Highway 101, quiet neighborhood AND larger, more tastefully furnished, with better beds than at the Mariott or Ramada we stayed in during other parts of our trip, for around $90 per night all made this a perfect stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This motel is located outside the usual areas where motels are usually found. It is close to downtown (minutes away) and has an easy on/off ramp to Hwy 101 located either just north or just south from its location. Now about the motel. Old? Yes. Clean and modern YES! This place was quiet, clean, cheap and perfect as a place to use for the surrounding area. Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, San Francisco and the wine country are all close by. We ate breakfast and dinner just minutes away. We would stay here again with no hesitations. Be aware there is no pool or free breakfast but they do provide free WiFi which works very well.

Room Tip: Stay in a room at the north end it was very quiet with only several parking spaces.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Beemer54
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here for one night while traveling through San Rafael. Pleasantly surprised by the rooms and the remodeling work they've done. It was quiet, the furnishings were comfortable, and the room had a spacious layout for a small lodging facility. Excellent location near 101 and downtown San Rafael.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lkgeo
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here a few weeks ago and were very pleased.The location is great,it is small which we prefer.The decor is tastefully and relaxing.I particularly liked the fan above the bed.The bed was very comfortable.I have severe allergies so chemical detergents are a nightmare for me.The colonial Inn is very clean without irritation.This is our place to stay when we need to be close to Sanfransico.We couldn't ask for better room for the price.The management was professional and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Marin Suites Hotel
Marin Suites Hotel
#2 of 3 in Corte Madera
Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa

Been to Marin Lodge? Share your experiences!