“So-so food, worse service”
Review of Broken Drum Brewery - CLOSED

Broken Drum Brewery
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food is pretty typical bar/brewery fare, the beer is not to my liking at all. The prices are on the high side, but it is Marin. The service (on a not-so-busy night) was pretty slow and inattentive.

There are plenty of other places nearby so I would not go back.

There are newer reviews for Broken Drum Brewery

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I ate here last night with a few friends. We got the chicken wings which were too spicy for me but good served with some carrots and hicama. The salad was very unimpressive, but my friend got a veggie burger that was pretty good.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We found Broken Drum while on our way back from a nice stay on the coast. It was a beautiful day, with the top down, and we were having a great time. Did a web search from the car for brewpubs [ain't modern life grand?], and found Broken Drum. I am/was a very serious hobbyist craft brewer with a 15 gallon multi-barrel setup, ranching my own yeast, and buying grain by the 55-pound sacks. Not a snob about this; I just know how hard it is, but how good it can be. We were recommended the jambalaya special. Staff were all very friendly, and service was good. But speaking as a southern boy, the jambalaya was a bit much. Well-spiced, Cajun food is not intended to bite your head off. If you want it to, you add hot sauce. Oh well. The meats, veggies and rice in the dish were nicely prepared and very tasty, but the dish overall was over-spiced. On to the beer! Tried the Hophead first, and it was pretty good. I've brewed and tasted a lot of multi-IPAs. On a scale of 1-5, this was a 3.5. Well-balanced maltiness and bitterness. Hop flavor not exceptional. Tasted mostly like Northwest Willamette and maybe some Cascade. The Export Lager also not bad; my girlfriend liked. Tasted like a quality German lager, with tap freshness. After that, not so good. Neither the regular IPA nor Pokemon IPA were very good. Too sweet. The outdoor seating area was pleasant, in a nicely restored part of San Rafael, with a steady stream view of a lot of interesting characters. Hard to go wrong with fresh beer, friendly staff, and decent view, but go already enjoying your moment [as we were], rather than expecting Broken Drum to make your moment.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

The Brewery looked very inviting and welcoming when you step inside. Not a lot of people were there at 1:30pm on a weekday. Was greeted promptly by the bartender and the waitress was very nice BUT, she did NOT know wines! I am not looking for a wine snob, but she didn't know what would be a sweeter or less dry wine. She had to go ask the bartender. I ordered a house salad which was a good portion with a sweetish ginger dressing. Then came the beer battered fish and chips. OMG! They looked like they would have been from a package, kinda soggy breading, not crispy like it should be and I didn't tasted much of a "malty/beer" flavor as I have at other brewpubs. Maybe undercooked? The fish itself was fresh tasting. I didn't feel like sending it back, with the tarter sauce, it was fairly OK. The garlic fries were a joke as I didn't see any garlic bits or even really taste it. Nice addition of shredded parmesan cheese. If it wasn't for the Ranch dressing and tarter sauce they would have been too bland. Just not a great first impression and for a glass of wine/house salad/soggy fish and chips came to $30. I MIGHT give it another try, but I would get one of their burgers they supposedly specialize in:)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Broken Drum is a nice place to stop by for a quick lunch when shopping in the neighborhood, their food is yummy, tasty and fresh. The sweet potato garlic fries are spectacular! Healthy stuff, nice beer made on the premises... It's micro brewery, so you can't get more local!
Happy hour for lazy end afternoons. Right on 4th Street where everything and everybody happens.