“Great Japanese in San Rafael”
Review of Sakura Sushi

Sakura Sushi
Ranked #52 of 237 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Sakura took over the old Sushi Boat location on Smith Ranch Rd. It is a huge improvement over the old place. The new sushi chef worked in San Francisco restaurants but wanted to get out of the city and started Sakura. The quality is so much better. It is a small place so you might not get a seat right away during busy times but make a reservation and you should be good. A good sushi wine list. Excellent rolls. Sushi is not cheap food but the prices here are reasonable for good sushi. Wait staff is still a bit slow and uneven in service. So have another saki and relax. Good place to eat before or after a movie at the theaters in the same parking lot.

1  Thank BPS-246

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here at least 3 times. We have always been there for dinner, again last night. We sat at a table. The service is always slow and poor. We ordered three dinners off the menu last night including salad and miso soup. I received my appetizer. Then we received nothing for a long time. Then our main course came. We had to ask if there was soup and salad. They brought it finally but was no one looking? It isn't a huge restaurant. It is not hard to see the tables. Previously, my wife and friends were almost late for a concert because the service was so slow. The food is good but the service really needs to rise up a couple of notches. The waitresses and sushi chef are very nice but they need to improve the execution. For three of us with a bottle of wine, the cost was $97 before tip.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I've been here several times now and the food is really wonderful. They are very nice at lunch or dinner and it's family friendly.

The chef is always happy to make excellent recommendations (and warn you if you order something silly! which is good).

The fish here, and this is what matters most, is truly and truly fresh and delicious.

If you get the miso soup and they ask you if you want the mushrooms. Just say yes. They are really lovely in the soup.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I were on our way home from San Francisco and when we got to Smith Ranch Road I said "let's see what's down there!" So glad we did! There is a little business center and in there is Sakura Sushi Restaurant! We would never have known about it if we hadn't been on an adventure! We walked in and were greeted by a very sweet young lady who seated us. We ordered an array if things and all was very good. It was some of the freshest tasting sushi I've had.
The Restaraunt us extremely clean and nice ambiance. They are closed Tuesdays. If I could give it more stars I would. Can't wait to go back!