“Our go to Italian restaurant in San Rafael”

Il Davide Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 246 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd and 4th
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Still one of the best Italian restaurants in Marin. We have been going to this wonderful spot for over 20 years. The food and service are first class. The traditional Italian dishes are prepared with loving care. In particular, the different sauces for each dish are exquisite. Try the Arugala salad wrapped in Prosciuto with Gorgonzola dressing. As appetizers, the Burrata and Shrimp Bruschetta are hard to beat. My favorite pasta is the Orichiette with sausage and cream tomato sauce. Also, this is one of the few restaurants that carry a great Italian white called Vermentino.

1  Thank Bill W

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Il Davide serves up the best Italian food I've ever had (and I was raised Italian!). The wait staff is cheerful and service is top-notch, even when the restaurant is packed. On warm nights there's outdoor sidewalk seating. I'd suggest a reservation but I've never had to wait longer than 5-10 minutes when dropping in. If the restaurant's busy, sitting in the small bar area for dinner is fun. The Italian villa atmosphere is absolutely charming. Everything I've tried on the menu has been really good - my favorite pasta is the gnocchi (I order it in a spicy pink sauce) and the veal chop (I think that's a special) is fantastic. Great selection of wines. Agree with another reviewer who said you will NOT be disappointed.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great food, outstanding service, terrific atmosphere, wonderful wine selection. This is one of my favorite places for a special occasion meal. You should consider making a reservation.

Also a decent spot for celebrity sightings. On my birthday, we were seated across from George Lucas (we didn't bug him as he was with his family.)

Check out Il Davide - you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

This modern restaurant is in a nice location, with ample parking nearby.
Our hostess was charming and very busy all evening. Service was excellent and informative.
"Small Plates" are the starters and all three of us were impressed : seared scallops ($14), burrata ($11), ravioli($9). The main dishes we had were : lamb shank ($26) , a bit tough ; sauteed scallops ($23) , excellent ; ossobuco (($26) very good. We had berry cobbler ($8) and sorbet ($2.5) for desert, both good.
The restaurant was not too noisy, thank goodness. It has outside seating , too.

2  Thank nepenthium
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Journey to Italy in Marin and have "that" Italian gastronomic experience that you have been searching for~ with curbside dining to boost. David makes it authentic and with flair. Food is great and you can check out the local politicos making deals- just like in the Godfather...downtown and delizioso!

1  Thank Mary O