“Live music, grate food (ha get it?) and amazing staff”

Terrapin Crossroads
Ranked #3 of 240 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Terrapin Crossroads is a healthy down-home all-American eatery, taproom & lounge. We provide a comfortable, family-friendly environment, that merges music with food. We pride ourselves on our fresh, unique beer selection and a delicious and approachable menu. Terrapin Crossroads is a restaurant that celebrates the arts; and our kitchen staff showcases their passion for the culinary arts each day. We believe that our menu exhibits their passion through its creative, fresh and exciting choices. We love what we do, and every day we relish watching the joy people find in the surroundings here. Terrapin Crossroads will also host ongoing shows where Phil will invite his musician friends – both young and old – to play along with him in his various bands - Phil Lesh & Friends, West Coast Rambles, the Fellowship and the Terrapin All Stars.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went here for Sunday brunch. We arrived to live music and a very fun atmosphere. The music is pretty loud so be prepared and ask to sit further (ha get it?) away from the band if it is too loud for you. At first I wasn't sure if I would like the live music while we ate but it was FABULOUS. We had about a 15 min wait to get seated (we did not have a reservation). We sat in a very comfortable booth. the menu is wonderful. we had the mussels and fries and eggs Benedict. I am still dreaming about the mussels and fries. The eggs benedict was good but i might try something else next time. This is a super cool place to eat. I can't wait to go back. Also the service was the best ever and my latte was hot to the last drop. LOVE this place.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This restaurant owned by Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead, has a loud but friendly atmosphere. I appreciate the fact that while they have a basic (though limited) American-style menu (meat, salads, burgers, pizza, pasta) that they try to source their food from local organic providers. At the same time, if the "ribeye steak" I had is any indication of the food then, I suggest San Rafael Joes as having better American food (and they pour a better drink), or Pizza D'Angelo in Mill Valley for more creative fare both American and Italian. The latter also uses a lot of local and organic food.

Back to the "ribeye steak". The "ribeye steak" is the most expensive entree on the menu and, while I normally shy away from red meat, I decided to go for it - "medium rare". It had been awhile since I had a nice succulent ribeye and my mouth watered in Pavlovian anticipation. Imagine my disappointment when something resembling a minute steak with the thickness of a filet of sole shows up on a plate put in front of me. I thought at first they made an error ... Is it just me, or should a ribeye steak be at least (at least) an inch thick? What was put in front of me, charitably viewed, made it almost to a third of an inch thickness. Of course, the "steak" lacked the flavor that thickness brings to it, and clearly, was not cooked medium rare - because when you are dealing with a quarter-inch thick piece of meat you basically have two choices - cooked and uncooked. Mine, at least, was cooked. I substituted in an order of unremarkable mash potatoes for the onion rings that normally come with it. When I noted the size of the "steak" to the bartender who recommended it, he somewhat apologetically remarked that he normally doesn't see the thickness because it is buried under a heap of onion rings. Yum! The one decent part of the meal was the lightly-garlicked steamed broccoli which was nicely done.

All in all, if you want a decent steak or decent pour on your bourbon in San Rafael - San Rafael Joes may be your answer - it is an older more sedate crowd, however. Likewise, Il Davide, pours a nice drink and gives more and better food options than Terrapin Crossroads. I have never had a steak at San Rafael Joes but when I went there after Terrapin for a real pour of bourbon (thanks!), I was assured by my bartender that their steaks had some meat on them, and could be cooked medium rare.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you loved the Grateful Dead--man, you are gonna' love this place! Even if you are Not a Deadhead--the sound system is gonna' rock till you can't believe it. Then there are amazing big names that play in The Grate Room! Phill Lesh and friends, like Warren Haynes, Joan Osborne, Warren Haynes, Bob Weir.....are the big names that deserve to be big names in the music industry.

Phill is one hell of a band leader. Never once do you see the guy Not smiling. Why is he smiling? The music and sound system are the Peak! Phill owns this venue with his lovely wife, Jill Lesh. The environment is like someone's lovely living room with a great vibe!!

The Grate Room was the old Palm Room and the former Seafood Peddler is now the new and beautiful dining. Did they do a great job remodeling!!! The drinks--like "Jill's Thrill" will blow you away! Even the salads are divine! Good beer, wine and food with a wide variety to select--vegetarians are happy too. All sustainable, local and Delicious! The Free Bar Shows are Phill's kids and, Grahame, Brian, Ross James and Alex Nelson; Some amazing musicians that will be the next Eric Clapton names in music ten years from now. You can see them in the bar on many nights. If there are big shows in the Grate Room the price is higher but worth it. The food and drinks are reasonably priced and not what you might expect. And oh yea, if you want a pizza? They have a brick oven that is awesome. Patio provides lovely setting for brunch and it is delicious. Run, run, run and if you see tickets snap them up!! You are gonna' love this place!!!!!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Sitting in the "Lounge", on a chaise or comfy chair, eating fresh oysters and splitting a juicy burger with cocktails, just may be the perfect setting for relaxation and dining. There are even games in the room, to occupy your kids or your older kids!
We have been to TC many times for the music, and have enjoyed all the different room ambiances, from the Grate Room for rock concert music, to the bar for drinks and acoustic guitars, to the dining room where you can listen to live music playing in the bar, and eat from a variety of fresh ingredients. The Upstairs area is full of sofas and has its own zen.
Brunch was fantastic, altho1 of us out of 11 did not enjoy their meal. The rest of us had a wonderful time. On warm weekends, the outdoor deck is open for dining on a small waterway. And it is sooo casual, you could almost come in your pjs. It is a haven for "Deadheads", but also the locals and many out of towners. Try out Terrapin Station.....um, Crossroads.

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here largely because I'm a Grateful Dead fan and its Phil Lesh' s place. Often there's live music in the evening and yes sometimes Phil does play and Bob Weir even shows up from time to time.
The menu is well developed with quality food. Portions are generous and healthy. We had the chicken paillard and new York strip both were very good. The prices seems to be in line for the Bay area.