“love to get take out”

Dining options: Reservations
Houghton, Michigan
“love to get take out”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is good Thai food. It is reliable and clean and exotic and delicious and sure, I burn my tongue sometimes because I am a Thai food newbie, but I love the flavors. We usually get take out. The building is adorable but I always feel a little uncomfortable in the parking underneath the freeway. The food is great! Try it!

Visited February 2013

San Francisco, California
“Contrarian Viewpoint”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have lived in central Marin for 20 years, and during that all that time Royal Thai always had the reputation as the best Thai in the county. We had never eaten there, however, as we were devotees of Orchid Thai in San Anselmo. Orchid is now closed, and we were seeking a new favorite, so gave Royal a try. We won't be back. On arrival, we waited a bit to be seated, and were then ignored completely (no menus, no water, no acknowledgment of our existence) for about 15 - 20 minutes. Once having ordered, our starters came out reasonably promptly, but it was literally a 50 minute wait from the time we finished the appetizers before our main dishes arrived--without a single check-in from our waitperson. In the end, I do have to say the food was pretty good, but the entire experience was a 2 hour descent into hell. I would normally give the restaurant a break for having a bad night, but I noticed on Yelp that this type of experience has been all too common in the last six months.

• Visited January 2013
Berkeley, California
“Superb food - but it takes time...”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

If you are after outstanding cooking, wonderful flavors, an extensive menu, do go to Royal Thai.
It is located right next to the freeway underpass, yet noise is not an issue here. But it is not for a quick bite. The place is busy, and you have to be patient, but it is worth the wait!

• Visited November 2012
Sandpoint
“Thai to Dai For”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Great Thai food. At another level really of imagination and execution.

Try the Eggplant stuffed with Chicken. Yow!

Reasonable $15 corkage makes this a 1st Place Winner.

Visited November 2011
San Rafael, California
“Charming local favorite does a good job with a big menu”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I, my wife, my sister and her husband are all big fans of this charming and reliable Thai restaurant. We order fearlessly from a long menu, despite a well-earned reputation on my part for picking favorite dishes and sticking with them. The kitchen has never messed up on our "no peanuts" stipulation, and the service in the tight-packed rooms is attentive.

The ornate wood paneling and traditional Thai touches give the restaurant a nice, warm feel. Some tables are great for dates, others feel less private. I've never bothered with a reservation, and usually have to wait 5-10 minutes for a table.

We've sampled the specials on almost every trip, and found them to be welcome additions to the consistent menu. The wine selections are hit-and-miss, the only thing I would say detracts from the experience. The prices are quite reasonable. For traditional Thai food in southern Marin county, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

• Visited November 2011