“Really Good Thai Fare” 5 of 5 bubbles

Adrian, Michigan
1,294 restaurant reviews
“Really Good Thai Fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

This place is a great spot to get some excellent Thai fare. I decided to try this restaurant as it was less than a ten-minute walk around the corner from my hotel. It was located in a strip plaza and was nothing special from the outside. The simple but neat interior looked like a conventional hometown American restaurant as there was little that suggested it was a Thai establishment. One of the highlights of my visit was the service. I was greeted and seated quickly. The servers were both very friendly and wore constant smiles. They were so pleasant and engaging making the visit all the more memorable. I started with a fresh shrimp spring roll which was huge. It was bloated with vegetables along with the shrimp and was accompanied by peanut sauce. I found it to be quite tasty. For my main, I had the Pla Muk Pad Prik Pow, which featured squid in oyster sauce with vegetables and pineapple. It was accompanied by brown rice. I enjoyed this dish immensely as it was done perfectly and had a terrific taste. The prices were relatively good and, considering how enjoyable it was, I thought it was a worthwhile value. My bill came to just over $20 with tax (before tip). Overall, if you fancy Thai and are in San Pablo, I recommend giving this place a try.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Debbie K

Ft. Wayne, IN
“What a surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

The reviews indicated this should be a good Thai restaurant but they understated their reviews.The decor is average but the food is superb. I had a smoked salmon spring roll appetizer that was delicious and frankly large enough for a normal dinner, then a half order (4) of coconut prawns which for a change were more prawns than breading and finished with an order of sweet sticky rice and mango; my favorite desert. I've spent time in Thailand and this will match up with anything made there. For you locals this could become real crowded as soon as more realize the great food and value.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank george29938
Hercules, California
“Superb Thai cuisine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband drooled over the Kaw Soi Curry Noodle his co-worker brought for lunch one workday. When he found out it was just from the Thai restaurant across their workplace, he wasted no time in taking me there.

AMBIANCE: It is not like your typical traditional Thai restaurant. It doesn't have your usual Thai decor. There's no oriental element in there. It's a small place with blue walls,black & white tiled floors, and black tables and chairs. The walls are littered with assorted white decorations. It has a laid back modern vibe. I can only surmise that it's trying to appeal to a younger crowd. But the food will definitely appeal to all ages.

SERVICE: There was only one male server when we came in for lunch. There were only three tables occupied -- ours, another couple, and a solo diner. We were served in the order we arrived. Service was polite, wait time was reasonable.

FOOD: I got the descriptions from their takeout menu.

Kaw Soi Curry Noodle-- $8.95. Egg noodle in spicy light Thai curry soup with chicken, red onion, pickle lettuce, fried chili, and crispy noodle. This dish is a winner! And as I've mentioned earlier, it's the dish that brought us to this place :) It has the right amount of spiciness to it. Portion size is perfect, presentation is just lovely.

Garlic Baby Ribs -- $9.95. Deep fried marinated baby ribs with dry garlic. I was glad they had it available even though it was listed under the late night menu (I wish they listed the time frame for the late night menu, or better yet, make it available throughout the day). Anyway, back to the food, I was expecting the ribs to have bones not bite-size chunks of meat. But on hindsight, the absence of baby back bones made it easier to eat the ribs. The meat was so tender and deliciously garlicky. I can imagine why it's part of the late night menu, it will go so well with a bottle of beer.

Rice -- $1.95. It was served shaped like a pyramid.

Mango with Sticky Rice -- $5. My staple Thai dessert.

DRINK:
Diet Soda in can -- $1.95. I almost felt bad for dropping my straw and having to ask for another one because it must have taken long to make a rose origami out of the paper straw cover. It's a nice touch that might even go unnoticed if one is not observant enough.

BILL: Our total bill was $30.30 without tip. I thought it was fairly priced.

VERDICT: I cannot wait to go back! There are so many items in their menu which I would like to try such as sweet crispy anchovy, garlic pepper beef, udon duck, sauteed roasted pork with thai red chili paste, sauteed calamari with salted egg yolk, and the list goes on. Blue Bay is such a gem of a place. I almost didn't want to write a glowing review because I want it to remain a hidden gem. But I don't want it to run out of business either because I know we'll be dining here more often. By the way, they're open late...woohoo!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fuchsiapower
Chicago, Illinoi
“A Cut Above Most Thai Restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Question: how are Thai restaurants like the old Greek coffee houses? Answer: there is a giant kitchen underground that supplies all Thai eateries with the same food! At least it seems that there's a sometimes boring sameness to the dishes in all of them.

The giant kitchen does not have a connection to Blue Bay Thai Cuisine. . There are many unique and semi-unique dishes here, and even the usual "pad see yew", etc. are a cut above average. The wider selection and higher quality of menu items at Blue Bay will definitely make this my "go to" Thai restaurant when we visit our son in Richmond.

Special items that I would order again are the skewered coconut shrimp, spring rolls and, best of all, the salmon in some kind of spicy creamy sauce.

The decor is that of a casual diner, but is a pleasant color of blue. I found the chairs uncomfortable, but I'm of the Grandma generation; the younger people had no problem.

• Visited April 2013