“Great, fresh sushi”

joy sushi
Ranked #261 of 417 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is my favorite sushi spot in the Bay Area. The food is fresh and delicious, and I love that the rolls are huge and not your typical tiny ones from most Japanese restaurants. Try the Joy King roll if you don't like your fish too raw - the salmon is baked and it's really good!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Joy Sushi is a little hole in the wall restaurant with big menu! The sushi was excellent. The fish couldn't have been fresher, portions were very generous and each order came with soup and salad! Three rolls were enough for three adults to share. Service was good. Reservations were accepted during the week, so we had no wait. We were a party of eight, and I am sure we would all go back to this restaurant again!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The sushi rolls are large and tasty. As it is near SFO, we always try and make at least one trip every time we fly in for work. The restaurant is two levels, and the staff are very friendly.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I am fortunate to live very close to San Mateo where there is a large concentration of authentic Japanese restaurants ranging from sushi to ramen establishments. Joy Sushi is one of my favorites because the quality and freshness of the ingredients are very high. The restaurant offers a very extensive menu where you can order everything from bento box combinations to sushi and sashimi. They have a separate menu for sushi and rolls so there is no shortage of choices. Some of the rolls are cooked to accommodate people who are hesitant to eat raw fish. There is also a good selection for vegetarians. I ordered the chirashi and shared two rolls (one was crab with avocado and the other broiled salmon) with my companion. The food was fresh and delicious as always.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Wonderful sushi and sashimi that melt in your mouth. Cheap for the great quality. Lambada roll is my favorite. Large roll selection. I come here at least once a week.

Ambiance could be improved. I would give it five stars if the restaurant owners worked on remodeling the place. Good place to go if you want to watch a football game over sushi - they have TVs everywhere.