“Great Exprence”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Spiedo Ristorante - CLOSED

Spiedo Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: S. Ellsworth
Transit: We are located 4 blocks from the CalTrain Downtown San Mateo Station.
Description: Come and join us for delicious pastas and pizzas from our oak burning pizza oven. Steaks and fresh fish grilled on our mesquite fired grill. Chicken, rabbit, duck and game hen roasted on our mesquite fired rotisserie. Private dining facilities available for large and small parties. Patio seating, full bar, extensive wine list.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Exprence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I wanted to eat were the local eat. And to our surprise ran across Spiedo. The food and service was excellent. The price was very reasonable. You must try the bruschetti.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Charlie W

Alameda, California
“Pretty Face, So so Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I could get better Italian food lots of places for half the cost. Lovely setting, both indoor and out. We had a good time there with friends, but I'd look around for better value if I wanted Italian food in San Mateo.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Clark M
San Bruno, California
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Looking for some place for early dinner stopped here. Restaurant was almost empty made me wonder about this place? I don't have to wonder next time . Service was fast food was well prepared and value was there also. Don't know if they were busy how it would be but on a early Thursday evening I would not hesitate to stop again.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank cdjones4761
Union, New Jersey
“A Big Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I visited this restaurant with a friend. We were staying at a nearby hotel and were flying back to the New York area the following day after 2 weeks in California. We picked this restaurant because it was in the section of downtown San Mateo that is filled with restaurants. It looked more like a place frequented by the locals rather than tourists. I am sorry to say that it looked much better than it turned out to be.

To start with, service was hit-and-miss. We started with fried calamari which was actually very good but it went down hill after that. I ordered canelloni Al Forno which, while the taste was very good, was served on an extremely hot plate although the canelloni was barely warm. They must have a chef that is not very good with a microwave. My friend ordered a 12 oz. rib eye steak cooked medium well. It was cooked perfectly but it was about 1/4 fat and gristle. Not what you expect in this kind of a restaurant.

Look around. I am sure you can find a better place to dine.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank ilivennj
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“A nice evening in San Mateo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Two couples, all had something different and everybody liked it.
Interior must be from the turn of the century (1899-1900).
We had fun!