“Hit and miss”

Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Though the Residence Inn is located very conveniently for Foster City and San Mateo, and to the 101 freeway, it was a bit hit and miss for the money spent (it isn't cheap at $160 per night). I had a room facing the parking lot which got road noise starting very early in the morning. Make sure you ask for a room in one of the interior buildings as opposed to one on the outside. The breakfast room is tiny and breakfast itself is at best average. The tiny room leads to friction between guests watching others fill their plates and hotel staff slow to fill empty hotplates. By day three, I set a wake up call to be first when the buffet opened only to find twenty others with the same idea. The room itself is decently appointed but the WI FI strength was poor throughout, with loads of buffering. Bed is comfortable, lots of pillows. Kitchen is very nicely appointed, but bathroom surprised in being old and needing refurbishment. Overall, a bit hit and miss.

Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your stay at our Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo.

Your feedback is very important to us and I will look into the set up of our breakfast room to make sure we are utilizing the space to its maximum.

I want to thank you for your business and hope to see you in a near future.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stay at a lot of Residence Inns because I need a kitchen. This hotel was a little challenging simply because of the exterior entrances. I prefer a high floor room, yet getting all of my equipment up the stairs...in the rain...without any assistance - was a challenge. In addition, the person below me had a dog that barked at EVERYTHING...and they left him alone to do errands and probably eat. That made it a little challenging to grab some sleep.

The room itself was comfortable enough, but out of all the Residence Inn's I have stayed at, this wasn't my favorite. However, the staff was helpful and attentive when I needed it, the location was handy for what I was in town for, and the room was clean.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at our Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo. We appreciate your feed back and take it seriously. If you visit us in a near future let us know if you need assistance as we have associates ready to help all of our guests.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

During what was an expensive week for hotels in the area, I was dubious about this one, but it was a great choice. Despite being located close to the highway, it was quiet, clean, welcoming and I really quite liked it. During my stay the wifi (free) sucked. I was unfortunately hardly able to use it at all, certainly not good enough to rely on. They admitted they had a problem, and had people physically working on it.
I didn't try out the exercise room, but it certainly had two runners, there was also an outdoor pool. Probably more focused on the non-business traveller, but I would not be averse to going back. I hope the wifi is better next time.

Room Tip: One located on the inside - away from the car parking and highway.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Hugo H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo. Your comments are very much appreciated and I will also be checking into our internet service.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you in a near future!

Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel seemed to be better for non-business travelers. Pros: Nice modern kitchen with full size appliances, convenient to 92 and 101. Cons: Poor plumbing in the bathroom, people smoking outside their rooms with no way to avoid the smoke while walking to your car, trash and debris on the property, no bill slipped under your door on the day of departure, lots of noise in the common areas, weak wifi, limited parking, thin walls and floors. This Residence Inn is an older one with individual units of rooms so each room opens to the outdoors. There seemed to be a lot of families and people with pets staying here. There was a lot of noise in the common areas, and I could hear what was going on in the room above me and beside me. I would not stay here again while traveling on business. I was especially bummed that I did not get my usual smoke-free Marriott experience.

Room Tip: If you want to minimize the outside noise, get a second floor room away from the common areas.

Dear guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding our Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo. Your feedback is very important to us and I am taking your comments under consideration. Due to the time of the year we do get lots of families and visitor from outside California.
The reason we don’t place the bill under the door is because we are an exterior property and our doors have a rubber seal in the bottom that prevents water from coming in when it rains. We also don’t leave them outside because we don’t want other people grabbing it and getting guest’s personal information.

We appreciate your business and we hope for a second opportunity!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

The whole 8 weeks here were amazing!!! The staff went above and beyond, the rooms were clean, and comfortable. Everything about this place was great! Can not say enough nice things about the staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Hugo H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo. I will make sure to share your review with the hotel staff so they know the amazing job they are doing!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here one night when hotels in San Francisco were very hard to come by due to the Bay to Breakers race. I booked this hotel assuming that because it is listed as an SFO airport (in the name) they would have a free airport shuttle. This is NOT the case. Because it would have been a $35 cab fare both to and from the airport, we rented a car overnight instead.

Apart from that, I was very satisfied with my stay here. It was a nice apartment style room that had all necessary amenities. The bed was very comfortable. Good sized TV as well. The only down-side was that you could hear conversations of those walking on the sidewalks outside, but this was not disruptive. The front desk clerk placed us in a room that did not have a family above us, which was nice. I would have been happy to stay here much longer than one night! The free breakfast was a nice touch as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo. We value your feed back and appreciate your business!

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed in Residence Inn San Mateo for more than two months when I've been to California on a Business trip. I would recommend this Hotel strongly. Go for it.

Room Tip: Check if the Wifi Signal is good before checking into the rooms. Some of the rooms have poor signal.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Hugo H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post this valuable review and recommend our Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo.
Our team appreciates your business and hope to see you when you come back to the San Francisco area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Courtyard San Mateo Foster City
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo

Been to Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo? Share your experiences!