“Old motorlodge”
Review of Los Prados Hotel

Los Prados Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a low-end motorlodge located behind an unattractive strip mall. The freeway noise is very audible in the rooms facing the road. Smelly hallways lead to small rooms (with their own funky smells). Buyer beware when purchasing through Hotwire; they list this property as a 3-star hotel... when the Best Western's OWN website ranks this property as 2-star. Even after calling Hotwire to discuss the misrepresentation of this property, they refused to allow me to cancel my reservation. This is the second time I have been screwed by Hotwire. I won't be using Hotwire again!

Room Tip: Request a room facing away from freeway on top floor
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for few days for my business trip. The staff members that I encountered were very friendly. Rooms and facility are excellent to what I paid for. Will want to be back for sure..........

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The first time we stayed here we were going to use the Park and Fly and go to Hawaii for our honeymoon. This didn't happen due to Sept. 11th and all the airports were closed. We ended up coming back to the hotel instead of flying out and the staff were very nice and accommodating with us. We ended up staying 2 more nights.

The other 2 times we stayed here just for a weekend get away. Very nice staff and our rooms were always clean and inviting. We liked that there was a Denny's on the premises.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KCJ44
Reviewed October 19, 2010

nice clean room, helpful front desk,fridge,wifi,pc&printer access, nice n quiet, good rest near to airport.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Not too much to say about the place itself - fairly run of the mill. Our only reason for staying in San Mateo was to attend MakerFaire 2010, and I DO recommend this place to anyone on a budget looking to attend...the walk to the fairgrounds is easy (we didn't rent a car - if you do have a vehicle, even easier)

The room we were in had a queen-sized bed, TV, coffee maker, mini-fridge and microwave. The air-conditioner was a bit loud, but worked well, so can't really complain *smiles*. We were on the top floor (there was an elevator)...allegedly there is some sort of spa/hot tub/something?; we never investigated, but the hall of our floor had the slight scent of chlorine...again, not sure.

The carpet had a little bit of wear...do people really worry about such things? Everything was clean and functioned as it should. We didn't hang around the hotel much - if you're looking for that sort of experience, go elsewhere. It's not a luxurious sort of loungeabout place, but it's a decent and clean place to rest your head at night at a reasonable rate.

My main reason for writing this review is to recommend this hotel for the MakerFaire crowd (or, I suppose, anyone attending an event at the fairgrounds)...especially those that may not choose to have a vehicle.

In the same lot as this hotel, there is a Denny's (that is not only curiously non-existent according to GoogleMaps, but also serves beer!) and a strip mall with several restaurants (Mexican, Chinese, are the two I know for sure) as well as an Asian Market with all sorts of interesting treats. There are several more places to stop along the way, including a Whole Foods.

The only problem I had with this place was with the staff. Friendly enough, really, and did what they could, but they seemed to have a lack of communication between shifts and I worried about actually getting a shuttle to the airport...everything turned out alright, so perhaps I was just paranoid.

Ooh! Almost forgot! They have a shuttle at 1300 (One pm) that drops you off at a mall...can't say I care much about the mall, except for it is directly across from the CalTrain station...that was helpful to us.

All things considered, it's pretty standard. Nothing too special, but nothing wrong with it, either. Not a bad price.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2007

I booked my 4 nights stay at this hotel through [--].
When I checked in, they were not able to find my reservation. I presented them with the confirmation letter and they still weren't able to retrieve it.

It wasn't until I received my credit card statement that I realized they had doubled charged me. 1 night for a 'NO SHOW' and 4 nights for my actual stay. The credit card company provided me with a copy of the Best Western statement showing that they manually charged me because I failed to check-in. It also showed that they entered my reservation under my guest's name instead of mine, hence, they were not able to retrieve it. The confirmation letter from hotels.com clearly shows my name and confirmation number. Why they didn't use the latter to cross-reference is still a mystery to me.

I'm still disputing the 'NO SHOW' charge. Frustrating. BEWARE!!!

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 16, 2004

Stayed at this place November 10 and 11th, 2004. Was booked to stay there three more nights, but checked out, and here's why:

1) The rooms are looking very "down at the heels". Furniture is in poor condition, the bedspreads are threadbare and the carpets are dirty. The bathtubs are extra short, an adult could not relax in them. The bathroom tile was grubby.

2) The bathroom towels were originally white. They are now grey with unidentifiable stains. Yuck!

3) The hotel is located next to a strip mall with a grocery store. There is a trash compactor which is adjacent to a number of the rooms and - boy- is it loud. Particularly when they start it up at 6:30 a.m. They also receive deliveries starting at 6:30 a.m. If you are a tired traveller, forget about sleeping in.

4) Last, and most important, as a single female traveller, I did not feel safe here. There were gangs of kids in parking lot until after 1:00 a.m. the first night I was there, yelling and hooting and hollering. The hotel is actually a "motel" style, with the buildings being 2 stories high. The 2nd floor balconies are very low, and would be very easy to climb onto. Also, my key did not work properly in the reader and it was a bit unnerving entering the relatively dark entry and not being sure whether or not the key would work. The front desk "recoded" it for me, but it didn't help. The building's doors were propped open all day long, and therefore there really was no security during the day at all.

5) When I checked out early, the front desk clerk just looked at me and said "Everything OK", to which I replied, "NO" and went on to explain my concerns. She just looked at me blankly and said, oh, sorry.

I took a look at the "fitness area". It is a joke. I couldn't bring myself to go and look at the swirlpool, I just couldn't face it.

I moved to the Marriot hotel which is quite close to this one. What a difference. I will write about it in a separate review. Suffice to say, with the cost of the two hotels being very comparable, I know which I will stay in next time I'm in San Mateo!

• Stayed: November 2004