“Great breakfast and more”

Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed May 22, 2014

A hidden gem in Silicon Valley, the staff makes the experience. Particularly Elias, who works the breakfast shift and will welcome you as if he'd been awaiting your arrival. The warmth of the staff, from front desk to restaurant to chamberpeople really differentiates this from just another Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because we wanted a comfortable hotel close to the San Mateo Event Center. Arriving the day before the Maker Faire it was a perfect place to overcome our jetlag. Renovation on the lobby were just finished (nice!) and we got a great newly renovated King room on the 7th floor. Very quiet and roomy. Fast elevators. Staff is very pleasant and welcoming. Food at the restaurant is average. Breakfast cooked to order is good. Added bonus was the free shuttle to the Maker Faire. We'd be happy to stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed here before and it was a great experience, but they are now remodeling and it was noisy in the morning. It is a good value for the weekend price and I hope that they finish the remodel soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Next time, I would like to choose the Hyatt one at Burlinggame. The breakfast is OK but not as good as Hyatt. In addition, the TV was no signal. Because that I only stayed for 1 night. So I didn't ask the hotel to repair it for me.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We arrived at about 11:00pm and we were greeted by a smiling young lady. Since it was too late, the restaurant in the Hotel as well as the Room Service were already closed. With her assistance, we were able to find a restaurant that was still open (that late) and had our late dinner.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Myrna S
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Stayed 3 separate stays over a month, with another 5 weeks coming up. Construction and re-model are not an issue and the rooms are nice. Rating is about front desk staff. Requested a wake-up call and the front desk did not enter it into the system. Was an hour and a half late to a meeting the next morning. Manager called me after I left a message, apologized and offered points - no points have been posted. At check in requested complimentary waters (based on HiltonHonors level)...front desk said they were in the room. They were not in the room - had to get them. Called the front desk about room service menu...front desk said the menu could be viewed on the room TV...it was not on the TV. TV hotel channel shows breakfast at the hotel is $14.95, breakfast is actually $16.33. Separately not big issues, but together becoming more noticeable for frequent traveler.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Gregg S
dghudson, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Gregg S,

I have spoken with all our front desk to remind them of the importance of wake up calls. I'm sorry your day got started off on the wrong foot.

You spoke with me after this particular stay and I contacted HHonors to double check your account. They tell me the points I submitted were posted. Please contact me directly if you do not see them in your account.

The room service menu is on all our TV's. I am considering going back to printed ones but it does not give us the freedom to update our menus as often as our electronic TV menu.

The breakfast cost is $14.95 plus California sales tax. We offer all you can eat cooked to order American breakfast. This includes omelets, bacon, sausage, potatoes, muffins, cereal, yogurt, coffee, juice, etc. Guests frequently tell me our breakfast is one of their favorites.

I see you have continued to stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should the need ever arise. We take pride in being the #1 hotel in San Mateo and would like to keep you as our guest.

Derek Hudson
(650) 356-6107
Derek.Hudson@Hilton.com

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and 3 days for leisure. We have in past stayed here for last 4 years. It was a quiet, clean and fully accomading place that would come after going to Stanford medical for procedures. We are a Hilton Honor member enjoy courtyards models. This stay we were aware of the remodeling and temporary change area od dining. The new furniture for lobby and dining looks inviting. We were placed on first floor was a little noisy. The breakfast was still tasty and complements to cook for him able to make omelets in a small area. I love the complementary oatmeal bars in evening better tasty then cookies. We only had one mishap, left for the day the housekeeper cleared out the fridge and microwave accidently. We had refreshments, fruit and desserts gone. I am good organized clean guest all the time. Going in our room it would look like we had checked out. Our luggage was in closet. Our food in microwave and fridge.
I appreciated the desk clerk accomading by replacing our refreshments, unfortunately she was not able replace our fruit or dessert. There is great shopping plaza close by so I went to replace what I could. The only one thing in our room not working properly was bathroom fan. Overall we plan to continue staying at your hotel in future.
I love location, clean, value in price and staff always commanding in all situations =)

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo
Courtyard San Mateo Foster City

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo? Share your experiences!