“Great Hotel and really helpful staff”

Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel and really helpful staff”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed 1 night at this hotel in June. We were given little chocolates at check-in, and found more on the bed in the room. The room was clean and welcoming, and the bed had a control on each side so you could make it as hard or soft as you personally like - I've never seen that before.

The people in the next room made quite a bit of noise shouting at each other and slaming doors from 11pm onwards - enough to wake us up. After 1 hour we called reception and the noised stopped in minutes, not to re-occur. I had read that walls could be thin here so I was not surrised. I was a little worried that nothng would be done, but not the case.

We spent the next day in San Fran and the hotel happily agreed to keep our luggage for us as we had a jeep where we could not hide and secure the cases. We picked it up (along with a large coffee) about 4pm on the way out of San Fran.

Lovely people and a great welcome to the US. This hotel offers free parking and a great buffet breakfast where we were introduced to Hazelnut Milk in the coffee - we are now huge fans :-)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EagerTravler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 31, 2012

But one thing I'd have done differently when we stayed here in January 2012 is to get a room on a lower floor. In January, the room we had on the sixth floor was a bit chilly, even when we turned up the heat. Otherwise, not a thing to complain about.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bluerose345
Tucson
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel is nice, comfortable, and clean. They have an airport shuttle but be aware, they are not an airport hotel. Without traffic, they are about 20 minutes from the airport. With traffic, try 30-45 minutes. Their airport shuttle is also not a 24 hour shuttle. You won't be able to catch a 6am or 7am flight using the shuttle. Somewhere I saw this hotel advertised as an airport hotel. I took a cab from the city to the airport thinking I was spending the night by the airport as I had a 6am flight. I waited 25 minutes for the airport shuttle and then took the 30 minute ride to the hotel. I was able to walk to a restaurant for dinner. Unfortunately, I then spent $45 on a cab ride back to the airport early the next morning. You also won't get breakfast that early....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Denver
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I've had several experiences at a variety of Hilton Garden Inn locations and all of them have been great - San Mateo is no exception.

The rooms are spacious and functional. The staff is accommodating and friendly. The restaurant serves an excellent omelet in the morning and the business center and pantry (for miscellaneous accessories, snacks and beverages) is quite convenient.

Close to the San Mateo Event Center, this HGI is accessible, reasonably priced and overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I've found this property very typical of the Hilton Garden Inn chain -- comfortable room, good location, good hot breakfast options. I read another review that said the rooms were somewhat smaller than normal, but I didn't find that. I did find a towel animal (a turtle) on the bed in my room, when I checked in. That reminded me of a cruise I had been on last summer.

I only stayed one night, so I can't comment on the housekeeping service, other than to say my room was clean when I arrived at 3pm.

My only complaint is that the hotel had a lot of traffic in the lobby area, where the restauarant is located, due to Sunday morning meetings -- particularly what appeared to be a very popular church group. This made the breakfast area somewhat chaotic. The cook-to-order chef's kitchen area was not well-signed for areas to order and pick up food. I watched a couple people order out of turn, because they had formed lines on both sides of the counter, and a couple people pick up the wrong omlettes.

A strange thing with this hotel is that the elevator has floors numbered from 1-7, but there are only 6 floors. There was no floor numbered 4, for what reason we couldn't discern.

Room Tip: I had a room facing north-east towards the Bay, and it was wonderfully quiet (although it was bright...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
North Carolina
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This is a clean hotel with a friendly staff. I liked the towel animals with mints that were left in my room by housekeeping. I had a first floor room so the noise from happy hour in the lobby was a bit much on one evening. Also, agree with other reviewers that the cleaning service comes late. Had the same issue with returning to my room in the early afternoon to find it untouched. I had the front desk schedule the cleaning for later so that it didn't impact my schedule. As this is located in a business district, the restaurant choices in the area are mostly chains. I ordered room service one evening, and it came quickly.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor. First floor rooms get the noise from happy hour in the lobby.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cemckeon
dghudson, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thanks for the comments. I read them all and appreciate the feedback. I also post them for our staff to read. Our towel animals have been popular and seem to be some of the most photographed items in our hotel.

Our housekeepers clean rooms all day so sometimes a room may be cleaned at 9am and other days it may be in the afternoon. If you ever have a preference then let us know and we are happy to accommodate your needs. We regularly have guests notify us of a preference. Remember, we are here to take care of your needs. Without you we don't have jobs so don't be shy about letting us know.

Again, thanks for the comments. Feel free to contact me directly at anytime should you need assistance.

Derek Hudson
Email: Derek.Hudson@Hilton.com
Peoria, Arizona, United States
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stay here everytime we go visit our son and daughter-in-law. We like the breakfast. The service is awesome...Not fancy...But is is clean, quiet and the staff is great...What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be fine...Very comfortable....
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport / Burlingame
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo? Share your experiences!