“Nice hotel, helpful staff, poor wifi”

Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Derbyshire
“Nice hotel, helpful staff, poor wifi”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed here for several days on a business trip.
The location is pretty good - close to the major roads and the airport - but the rooms were still quiet.
There is a courtesy bus to and from the airport which is useful but it is worth booking as soon as you know you need it for a trip to catch a flight; sometimes it gets pretty busy. Expect to wait around 30 min for a pick up.
My room was spacious and clean. As I was on an extended trip I paid a bit extra for a better room. Having the fridge was very useful.
Parking is pretty good as well.
Food was surprisingly good. Normally, the food in Holiday Inns is pretty forgettable, but this was much better than I have had at any other Holiday Inn in North America.
The only poor aspect to my stay was the WiFi/internet access - the signal was poor and frequently unreliable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RMS1974

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is my third stay in a year at this property.

Staff is excellent. Rooms are very large and well appointed, though the carpet is a bit worn. The restaurant serves the purpose for a decent and quick meal.

They have wired and wireless Internet access in each room. However, the wireless is essentially useless. In the three rooms I have had in my recent stays I either have had a very slow connection or no connection at all. I prefer to work sitting up in bed with the TV, and the wired connection is in another part of the room. So for me, I cannot use the Internet at this property. As such I will probably not stay here again until it is fixed.

Normally the rooms are in clean and in great shape (4 stars). This latest visit was disappointing (2 stars). There was someone else's hair on the bed spread and the shower rod was partially off its mounts and hanging down.

Best tip: turn the AC down much colder than the knob says. Set it to 70 degrees and you will be very warm.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear KHEF_Pilot,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am pleased to note that you liked our staff and rooms. However, it is regrettable that your room this stay was not excellent as your previous visits and the issues with internet connectivity continues to be of an inconvenience. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken to improve our guest satisfaction.

Lera P
Eureka, California
Reviewed August 18, 2013

While the hotel itself was clean and comfortable, Jessica went above and beyond in assisting us with several issues we were having while trying to get to Mexico. She was extremey friendly and helpful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We couldn't afford the 300-400 dollar price tag to stay at fisherman's wharf. We found this Holiday Inn on trip advisor and thought we would give it a try after two nights of hotels from a horror movie. Holiday inn staff were so nice, they made us feel like family. They told us the local Mexican restaurant that have the best tortas in California. Anamaria shared her favorites places to see in San Francisco along with a kind smile and outgoing attitude. My husband and I will definitely visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We got a good price for our room and the quality exceeded our expectations. Our room was modern, new, spotless and huge. I've stayed in five star hotels that are worse than this. The main negative was that it was quite noisy.. We heard every person in the corridor but worse was the creaking noise above us. At times it sounded like someone was about to fall through. Luckily this occurred only 2 of the 3 nights so the last night we got a good nights sleep. The air con is quite loud but this was a good thing in drowning out some of the noise. Overall though I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get the top floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent a week at this hotel on business. The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly no complaints. Restaurant was good. Meeting rooms were great and the service was outstanding.

Drawbacks: 1) Air-conditioner was a wall mount and very loud. 2) The elevator very slow. 3) No shuttle service into San Mateo. However they will take you several miles to the Millbrae train station but not one mile into town. I had to take a taxi and it cost $26.00 round trip. Workaround – have the hotel take you to the Millbrae train station and pay $2.00 to take the train to San Mateo. This will take about an hour each way. You definitely need a car if you are going to stay here a week. 4) The hotel was cold in the public rooms. 5) No pool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JEOCruiser
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Julie O,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. On the other hand, please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had over the noisy air conditioning unit, the slow elevator and some other aspects of your stay. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Zelienople, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

They say they are an airport hotel but have no shuttle. They had a rented mini van cause they said their shuttle broke down. Signed up on an airport sign in sheet to go to the airport. I came down 5 min early as requested was told just a few more minutes. At 5 after I asked where the shuttle was and was told its on the way back from the airport. At 20 after I was told it was still at the airport and would be 20 min the shuttle comes. I was told they could call a cab but it would be at my own expense. I paid $25 for a cab ride to the airport at an airport hotel that is supposed to have a shuttle service. The staff did not care at all. I have it on video when the front desk person said he does not care

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ethan J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Ethan J,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Regards,

Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport
San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!