“A little piece of heaven off the highway”

Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We couldn't afford the 300-400 dollar price tag to stay at fisherman's wharf. We found this Holiday Inn on trip advisor and thought we would give it a try after two nights of hotels from a horror movie. Holiday inn staff were so nice, they made us feel like family. They told us the local Mexican restaurant that have the best tortas in California. Anamaria shared her favorites places to see in San Francisco along with a kind smile and outgoing attitude. My husband and I will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We got a good price for our room and the quality exceeded our expectations. Our room was modern, new, spotless and huge. I've stayed in five star hotels that are worse than this. The main negative was that it was quite noisy.. We heard every person in the corridor but worse was the creaking noise above us. At times it sounded like someone was about to fall through. Luckily this occurred only 2 of the 3 nights so the last night we got a good nights sleep. The air con is quite loud but this was a good thing in drowning out some of the noise. Overall though I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get the top floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent a week at this hotel on business. The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly no complaints. Restaurant was good. Meeting rooms were great and the service was outstanding.

Drawbacks: 1) Air-conditioner was a wall mount and very loud. 2) The elevator very slow. 3) No shuttle service into San Mateo. However they will take you several miles to the Millbrae train station but not one mile into town. I had to take a taxi and it cost $26.00 round trip. Workaround – have the hotel take you to the Millbrae train station and pay $2.00 to take the train to San Mateo. This will take about an hour each way. You definitely need a car if you are going to stay here a week. 4) The hotel was cold in the public rooms. 5) No pool.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JEOCruiser
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Julie O,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. On the other hand, please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had over the noisy air conditioning unit, the slow elevator and some other aspects of your stay. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

They say they are an airport hotel but have no shuttle. They had a rented mini van cause they said their shuttle broke down. Signed up on an airport sign in sheet to go to the airport. I came down 5 min early as requested was told just a few more minutes. At 5 after I asked where the shuttle was and was told its on the way back from the airport. At 20 after I was told it was still at the airport and would be 20 min the shuttle comes. I was told they could call a cab but it would be at my own expense. I paid $25 for a cab ride to the airport at an airport hotel that is supposed to have a shuttle service. The staff did not care at all. I have it on video when the front desk person said he does not care

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ethan J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Ethan J,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite for almost three weeks and it met our needs perfectly. We have a 10 and a 2 year old. The staff of the front desk and the restaurant are friendly and helpful. Their wifi has issues, but they found a way to resolve it during my long stay there. Plus, when I needed to extend my stay, they found a way for me to stay in the same room and avoid the hassle of changing rooms. (Special thanks to Jake and Mr Reeve, the manager... ) Clean, efficient service, big parking area and comfortable stay - they have good airconditioning which is great during summer, a 24 hour gym and a business centre with 2 computers and a printer each which is very useful to do work when needed. The highway is accessible - to go north to San Francisco city or south to Palo Alto. I will definitely recommend this hotel to family, friends and work colleagues.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just got back from staying at this Holiday Inn. What a great place. We stayed here while taking my daughter and son on a Northern California University trip to check out all the great schools in this area of the country. After seeing how expensive all the hotels in San Francisco were, we decided to stay in San Mateo, which is just a short 15 miles away from Downtown SF.

The positives: This place is right alongside HWY 101. You are quickly on the freeway and on your way to where you want to go. The location is great in relation to traveling the freeway. The rooms were awesome. I travel alot and this place was as clean and nice as any 4-5 star hotel. Honestly, the management and staff treat this place like a 5-star hotel and it shows. Their was not a speck of dirt in my room. We loved the space in each room. These are some of the biggest rooms you will find for normal 2-Queen bed standard hotel rooms. It was actually the size of what some hotels advertise as a suite. The bathrooms were immaculate, and the bedding was super comfortable. There is a restaurant on-site, even though I did not eat there. Loved the little touches this place has. Newspapers in the lobby, water with lemons in the lobby, candy dishes, etc. It may not seem like much, but that shows the little extra touch that management and staff take to make this place feel like a home away from home. Lastly, the staff. The front desk staff was incredible. I forget his name at the front desk (all I remember is he is a Cal grad), but he was so helpful and really took pride in his job and helping people. Anything we needed the front desk staff was more than willing to help. They gave us directions to various places, helped with the area, and did it all with a smile on their face. The cleaning staff was also very nice. They were friendly and helpful and if we needed anything, they were their to provide it. They made our stay so nice! Thank you!! This place is highly rated and for good reason.

The negatives: Absolutely none!!

Thank you for putting the customer first and providing us with such wonderful accommodations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently located close to the airport and is very modern and spacious. I have stayed at many Holiday Inns and this is definitely one of the nicest ones I have stayed at. The hotel staff are all very friendly and helpful. But make sure you book in advance. They fill up quickly.

• Stayed: July 2013