“Good location near airport, sadly disinterested staff”

Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel has a good location near the airport, and is a short drive into the City. The room we got was clean and of a good size. There is also a great Mexican eatery around the corner, El Palenque Taqueria, at Kingston Street.

However, the front desk staff were sadly the most disinterested I have seen in a long time - one was eager to pass tasks off to the next shift when we made inquiries ("Come back tonight, I'm only working here for two days."), while another was distracted with typing what I can only assume was a personal message on her iPhone, keeping us standing there waiting for a good half minute or more. Holiday Inn really needs to train its staff better.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear captainjill,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst we pleased with the good comment, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept our apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our staff. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed in a 2 room suite. Not too shabby. I had a few friends over and we had an amazing time. The front desk staff could be more friendly but overall I was happy with how my birthday turned out!! I might end up booking a room here again soon because the size of the room for the money I paid was amazing!!! Next time I'm thinking about trying the restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
hisanmateo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Hello Jessica H,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel for your Birthday Stay! We are very fortunate that you chose us, as there are so many great places to choose from.

I am sorry that our Front Desk Staff was not up to your expectations. We have been striving to become more welcoming and friendly here on the Front Desk, and it looks like during your stay we didn't quite make it. Please know that I will be passing your feedback on to the staff so that we can work harder at being more welcoming.

I am glad you found our double bedroom suite comfortable. We have some very nice rooms here, and try hard to keep them clean and comfortable. Please do try our Bistro 300 on your next stay with us. We feel we have a top notch dining experience here, and our Director of Food & Beverage (Gustavo V.) works hard to keep everything great here.

Thanks again for the feedback, and I look forward to speaking with you on your next stay with us,

Matthew Reeve
Guest Services Manager
Holiday Inn & Suites, San Mateo, CA

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The rooms are good size, and very clean. The staff is helpful. Location is right on the 101 freeway, but did feel the noise at all. In fact, it was the noise of kids running upstairs that woke me. Also, the A/C is very noisy

Two comments. If you are sensitive to noise then get a room on the upper floor. If your life depend on Internet, this hotel my not be for you. The wireless is very weak and slow. The wired is interrupted on/off all the time. It is rather sad that they don't solve such a simple inexpensive problem,

Room Tip: f your life depend on Internet, this hotel my not be for you. The wireless is very weak and slow. Th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Sam F,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. It is disappointing that to know that you were inconvenienced by the condition of the air conditioning system and Internet connection being slow. However, despite this I am happy that you found our rooms to be clean and staff service to be helpful.

Again, many thanks for the candid feedback and I hope we get the opportunity of hosting you again soon.

Pam G.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was upgraded to an absolutely huge suite! I wish I weren't.

All the extra space was utilized by placing a table for 2 with 2 chairs. Think of the table sometimes found in a normal size room and you have it except, it's in a space the size of a decent sized dining room. I have absolutely no idea how I would ever use this extra space.

The A/C unit was, however, not upgraded to meet the needs of this much larger space. It ran at full speed (not quietly) and never got the temp anywhere near where I set it (70 if I remember).

The location of the hotel is literally off the freeway exit; as it, you exit almost directly into the parking lot and it sound like it. I requested a room furtherest from the freeway and was assured I was given a room that "couldn't be further from the freeway". Guess what I overlooked from my room? The freeway...

The restaurant/lounge was serviceable as a lower end hotel restaurant. I had a drink and was fed - end of restaurant review.

Would not stay here again and am staying at fewer and fewer HI's overall - too bad as they were a decent hotel brand after the relaunching a few years ago.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear jch67,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Excellent service, great rooms! We only stayed there for one night but it was great. It is close to San Francisco Airport and also not far from the city, quiet location. Very clean, very spacious, many amenities, definitely recommend it!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I absolutely love our stay here. The suite was perfect for me and my daughter. The Hotel was very nice and quiet week. We went to San Francisco during the day and came back every early evening for a nice quiet evening. The team was the best; the restaurant was a very nice setting and the food was very good. My daughter had her own room and I had my own room. The kitchenette was perfect for us, as well.

Room Tip: There is no pool, however there was kids and teen activities in the area, more than enought to do.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed there only a few days but it was great. The staff was extremely friendly and went above and beyond. It was about 15 minutes from San Francisco even with a little bit of traffic. It was perfect. Close enough to the city to not be annoying. Yet far enough away to be relaxing. My room was perfect. Anything extra I needed was brought in good time. I will definitely be staying there the next time I'm in the area. And I've recommended it to all my friends.

• Stayed: June 2012
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!