“Make sure you have a car!”

Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Make sure you have a car!”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

The room was lovely, but that's the best I can say about the stay here. I stayed 4 nights at this Holiday Inn, and on arriving at midday after my flight from Toronto, found that the restaurant was closed til dinnertime. The neighbourhood is pretty sketchy, so I was not about to go the "10 - 15 minutes walk to get a pretty decent Mexican meal" per the desk service representative, and the vending machine was not fully functional nor did it offer any real meal alternatives. The ceiling above me seemed to have very little insulation, and I was awakened a few times by my upstairs neighbours walking around - or jumping around, maybe? I had reasonable room service, and good mid-level meals - breakfast and dinner only - at the restaurant. My client was located about 10 minutes away in San Mateo, and the cab situation turned into a major joke. I had the hotel order a cab only to have the cabbie take off with another guest when he arrived early; I had a 2 hour wait - and 7 phone calls - to get a cab back to the hotel one evening; my best ride was a cabbie who actually knew his way around and could avoid the traffic on 101 - after the quick and easy ride with him I was stunned to think of the difficulty I'd had with all the others! Hotel staff were generally nice, but some seemed to be less than thrilled to have customers - especially at the front desk, where some of the representatives seemed to feel that personal phone calls were way more important than giving clients their primary attention!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
San Mateo, California
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I had two business guests visiting from Korea this weekend. I was looking for a nice hotel that was also a good deal, and not too far from the airport - after reading the other reviews here I booked it, they are right! It is very convenient, and all the rooms are big, very nicely furnished with new features, great LCD TV's, good bathrooms, comfy beds etc. Thought its close to the freeway its also quite, very good sound insulation.

To top it all off Rema and Lara are so friendly and helpful at the front desk, thank you both, you made the whole experience just the extra bit nice. I have never written a review before, but now I will. I will definitely come back.

Thank you!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Recently I found myself in need of a hotel near downtown San Francisco for a training program. After checking prices downtown, I decided to check for hotels in the surrounding area, and needless to say San Mateo did not disappoint. Among the highlights of this particular venue were auto sense lighting, a coffee maker whith an excellent roast seleciton on hand, and a shower bench underneath the shower (which really helped me relax while waking up in the mornings). I can honestly say I was NOT expecting such comforts for the price I paid, but lo and behold there they were. This venue was truly a bargain and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet place to wind-down in the San Francisco area.

boston
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The new decor and warm and friendly staff set this Holiday Inn apart from others. I was so pleasantly surprised by how pretty and comfortable this hotel is starting from checking in, with the cozy restaurant (great breakfast!) and bar to the left of the reception desk, to the clean halls and rooms, complete with nice size flat screen tvs. I was greeted by Rema, and she went out of her way make sure I had everything I needed for my visit, and she was just great. The staff really seemed to enjoy working there which only made the stay better. I highly recommend staying at this very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Spain
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I came in at 1am to SFO after a long flight, this hotel was ten minutes away from the airport. I was only seeking a nice bed and a clean bathroom. It was clean and quiet. The bathroom was nice and clean and the room was altogehter spacious and comfy. I suggest this hotel to all those who need to get an early flight or who come in late at night to SFO. They have a shuttle to and from the airport, you have to call the reception so to make sure they have it ready for you, they compromise to have it ready for you in the next half an hour, mine was there after fifteen minutes, the driver Arturo explained to me how the Air Train at the airport worked so to get my rental car as quick as possible, I will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Santa Rosa, New Mexico
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stayed three nights at the hotel and would recommend it to everyone...Large and spacious rooms...Loved the decor!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The help at the counter was sooo personable there. The agent named Rema, helped me decide where to visit on my vacation to San Francisco. I'd rented a car and gotten lost and she even helped me turn around and come back to her hotel. This lady made me feel very well taken care of and I very much felt welcome. I highly recommend this hotel and would refer any of my associates to stay there too.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!