“Good, Normal Marriott Experience”

San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good, Normal Marriott Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

I am a frequent Marriott traveler and had the experience I would expect to have when visiting a middle tiered Marriott property.

First, the location is great. About 20 minutes away from San Francisco Airport. And they offer a free hotel shuttle which saves you a few bucks and is convenient and timely.

The hotel was nice. As a gold member they really took care of me and upgraded me to a suite, comped our internet ($10), and gave us two free breakfast vouchers which came in handy since the breakfast rate is really expensive at $20 per person + tax and tip.

The staff was helpful and courteous. Knowledgeable about the local area as well. Overall, it was a good experience and I would definitely stay again if I needed to be in the South San Francisco or airport area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tmani
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Dear tmani,

We appreciate such a great review of our property from a frequent Marriott traveler. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and giving us your valued feedback on your experience. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your suite upgrade, as well as the complimentary internet and breakfast. Again, thank you for your comments and excellent ratings. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the San Mateo/San Francisco area.

Mark Lewis, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

This is my second stay in two months - this stay being four nights. But for having to press hard for a king bed both times, and to be AWAY from the noise of the freeway (only single pane, non-soundproofed glazing) it's been an acceptable, albeit not memorable, accommodation. I was desirous of staying an additional five nights during this stay (and I will be returning to the area more in the future as I am working on a project). On the night before my scheduled departure I asked at the desk about staying over. The young lady gave me a price that was $20 more a night than the Marriott e-breaks rate. I said I could book online but that I didn't want to go through the hassle of checking out and checking back in, especially if it meant changing rooms. She understood and said to just let them know. So this morning, short on time, I did just that. The desk clerk first quoted the rate I'd been paying (a corporate rate that, while decent, was 2.5 times higher than e-breaks rate). When pressed he finally gave me the $20-more-than-e-breaks" rate. When I protested he said I could call central reservations. I, of course, am on my way to an appointment . . . with my effects NOT packed to go . . . I called the GM from the car but "he doesn't spend time at this property". Asked for a manager on duty but no one was available.

So help me understand. $60 is more meaningful (three weekend nights at $99 vs 79) than an Elite customer checking out and staying elsewhere, for the weekend and for future stays? Really? And if I could accomplish this through "central reservations" then why not make it happen then and there? Defies logic.

Overall the attitude may prove to be fortuitous because I found the property to be lacking in somewhat insignificant ways, but the cumulative effect was off-putting. The room was very cold (I was on the end). The internal noise was, at times, annoying (thin walls and a housekeeping staff who seemed oblivious to "do not disturb" signs). Twosmall, thin towels per night (when my Marriott profiles requests extra towels). NO vending machines, only a small store that is open limited hours and then had no regular Pepsi, only diet and max. Perhaps the biggest annoyance is the $25 per night to park in this suburban area (although there is at least one valet staff who is terrific!).

The room size is nice but the property is tired despite supposedly being redone in 2009. Hard pressed to see it. So I will shortly go back to my room, pack up, and find accommodations where my business is welcome, and staff isn't so shortsighted to argue over $60 versus ZERO.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
los angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

I totally expected more from Marriot. This one was lacking the Cleanliness and service i am used too. The service was slow and not very personable. The rooms were a decent size but, was not very clean. Linens were old and needed a bleaching. The restrooms coulda been cleaner for the price that i was paying. But overall if you need a hotel in the san mateo area, this is one of your few choices with easy parking and easy access to the freeway. I don't think its a 3.5 star more like a 3 star.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hesus .
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, December 5, 2010
Dear HESUS318,

We are very disappointed to hear of your recent experience with us. Please accept our apologies for not exceeding your expectations. We want your stay to be far greater than decent while with us. We appreciate you bringing the noted comments to our attention, as we have already followed up in looking into this further. We hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Best,
Laguna Niguel, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

I travel quite a LOT for work. So, I am pretty used to hotels on this caliber and not in anyway a hotel travel snob. I just want something clean and comfortable, that's it, I'm happy. However, the night I checked in I had been in meetings the entire day and even had to have dinner with my clients. Therefore, by the time I made it to the hotel I was BEAT!

First disappointment, they charge you for parking, which was not told in the listing! Then when I got to the room, I immediately noticed the mildew in the tub. I just wanted to shower and fall into bed. Looked around for the toiletries and there were NONE! At 10:15pm I call the concierge service and they say they'll bring it right away. It's 10:45pm and still nothing, I call to find out what's taking so long, I really need to get to bed. Finally, at 10:55pm, I open my door to look down the hallway (I am the last room on the floor) and there is a worker with his ipod earphones on and strolling down the hallway like he had all day. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, 40 mins for showercap! Then the next day, I finish an early meeting and I'm back in my room by 11am. I then decide to run some personal errands. I place the do not disturb sign on my door and the maids asked if I wanted them to come in. I told them several times, not to come in. Of course, 20 mins later when I returned they did come into the room. Which wasn't the problem if they had actually CLEANED the room. Not only did they come in but they didn't clean or replenish the towels. I then report it to the manager and all he did was apologize for them entering the room which is against their policy. Then sent me on my way. He didn't do anything to make me feel safe or made sure that I returned to their hotel in the future. With all the other choices in the area, I will never go back to this particular Marriott hotel. Even if there is a great deal on rates. It's not worth the value!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MsSweetTart
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, November 4, 2010
Dear MsSweetTart,

Please accept our apologies. We are extremely disappointed that we were unable to exceed your expectations. Considering the high level of customer service we strive for and our guests are accustomed to, the inconveniences you experienced are unacceptable. Please know that your comments have been taken seriously. We are looking into the details and are prepared to take the necessary actions to ensure that this is not repeated. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and completing the review on our hotel.

Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Just checked in to the hotel only to find that booking a concierge executive suite does not guarantee an updated renovated room as the official web site misleads. The room is old and the bathroom is lacking in the misleading advertised renovation which states "including conceirge tower." Upon inquiring with the front desk, it was explained to me that he concierge towers are the last to be updated. You would think that these towers would be renovated first with the cost of booking a concierge executive suite. I am here for approximately a week for a medical convention and already anxious to check out. This is my first review and not one to openly complain but I feel that the official web site is highly misleading.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear troydoc,

Thank you for your valued feedback. We apologize for any miscommunication that occurred during your recent stay with us. It is true that our north and south wings were renovated first. Please know that under the individual room type descriptions on our website, the renovated rooms and the Concierge Tower rooms are not listed as having the same items or amenities. It was our pleasure to contact you while you were staying with us and ask if there was anything we can do to ensure your comfort; including moving you to another room. We hope that we succeeded in making your stay an enjoyable one.

San Jose, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

The San Mateo Marriott is a nice, clean hotel with well appointed Executive rooms. The breakfast buffet was one of the better ones I've had recently. The elevator requires a swipe of the room key for the upper floors, which some might value. Two bottles of water were provided and replenished daily. On the negative side, the TV was the old CRT type, and the furniture in the living area was not in the best shape. But the hotel as a whole was very clean. I didn't use the pool, but it looked inviting, and the fitness rooms (divided into a weight section and a workout section) had a good selection of equipment. The $18 parking charge was a turnoff, so I parked on the street in back of the (mostly empty) hotel parking lot for free.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
8 Thank mikew99
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, October 24, 2010
Dear mikew99,

We appreciate your time in completing the review on our property and sharing the details of your experience with us. We're glad you enjoyed our well appointed rooms and delicious breakfast buffet, as well as our nice and clean property grounds. Please know that our parking fee is commensurate with the majority of brand hotels in our area. We hope to have you back again soon and that you find some time to enjoy our heated pool, spa and fitness room.

Merced, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

So my husband came to join me after I finished my trip in Silicon valley and we stayed at this Marriott. Good thing being, really surprised by the size of the room they gave me! So spacious, even with a pool view. Later think to myself, maybe there was a free upgrade? since I booked through priceline.com with a great deal of $74 a night (incl. tax) and they gave me that! But of course, the parking costs $18 which ended up $92 which I guess sounded more normal instead of looked like a bargain.
Overall, pleasant stay, comfy bed, spacious room, HD flat screen TV, quiet and ample parking, for one night stay, what more could you ask for?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear babyjojo,

It's exciting to hear that you felt as though a free upgrade had been arranged without your knowledge! That certainly is quite a compliment and speaks volumes about all that we have to offer at affordable rates. Thank you for completing the review on our hotel. We appreciate all of the lovely pictures that you included also. We look forward to welcoming you back to the San Mateo Marriott/San Francisco Airport again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
BEST WESTERN Coyote Point Inn
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront

Been to San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!