“Great Hotel for a Wedding Room Block” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport

San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
San Francisco, California
“Great Hotel for a Wedding Room Block”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I reserved our wedding room block at the San Mateo Marriott and we were so glad that we did! Not only is the hotel gorgeous, but it is well run and we didn't experience any problems. The staff is all very friendly and always willing to help out and ensure that our guests had a great stay. We stayed in one of their loft suites and it was absolutely stunning. When we came back from the wedding, we were able to catch the last call at the hotel bar and they were able to accommodate us in another room in the lobby so we could still hang out together. The catering staff that we worked with, particularly Joy and Steve, were responsive, friendly, and accommodating. I would recommend this hotel for just about any occasion, big groups, couples, families, etc.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Laguna Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I want to make clear that I did not stay at the hotel, thank goodness, because the report I got from those who did were very not enthusiastic. I was there however for a celebration of life. We were expecting 200 to 300 people. The hotel double booked the room and their answer was to ask that the host change the time for the celebration after invitations had been extended. Finally the solution was to have an hour in their lounge which had us spilling into their lobby. They provided one bartender, remember 200-300 people. There were passed appetizers that lacked any taste. The sliders were straight from McDonalds, the crab cakes, sans crab, the empanadas tough and the shrimp from the frozen food case. Now before you think I am snooty remember this was not a cheap event. After an hour we were moved into the room that had been booked. There were carving tables set up, but again with no style and no taste and again for 200-300 people with one bartender. The hotel is seriously understaffed and the staff they have need training. It costs nothing to give exceptional service. Now lets gets go back to the lobby. It is outdated and needs a facelift. The lobby bathroom lacked ventilation and was not well maintained. If you need a place near the airport there are far better choices!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Byron R,

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding several of our quality components. The areas that you pointed out have been reviewed with the appropriate managers and addressed as needed. With respect to the facelift we are in fact renovating all of the meeting space which will be completed by May 21st.

Please accept my apologies for our shortfalls during your visit to the Marriott San Mateo. I believe you were likely attending the memorial service and we extend our sincere sympathies for your immeasurable loss. If you would like to contact me you can reach me at the email address or phone number below.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night due to the hotel distance from SFO. No problem checking in early. Room was on the ground floor was upgrade to what they described as a suite. Very small living and smaller bedroom. Reasonably clean but usual with full Marroitt properties the rooms are dark and dated. The high light for me was the lounge which was excellent. Good choices and some of the best lounge staff I have ever encountered. Okay got a airport stopover.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Hello Andrew R,

Thank you for detailing your comments concerning your most recent visit to the San Mateo Marriott. The feedback provided is reviewed with my entire team daily and is used as guide to help us improve.

We absolutely have a number of different room types and configurations with some suites larger as well as smaller suites available depending on the day’s arrivals. I appreciate that you recognized our great concierge staff and the awesome food selections that we prepare.

I apologize that we only got you to feel an average visit that certainly is well below our expectation and goal. I would like the opportunity to be your host upon a return trip to the bay area please accept my invitation to call me directly to assist you with a reservation.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I had the pleasure to spend several nights at this hotel. The staff are exception. In particular, JR in the concierge lounge is a real joy. He manages the club lounge with ease without being too instrusive. He is very service-focused and helpful. I needed some documents printed and he assisted me with this. The food in this lounge is also very good. I've been to a number of concierge lounges and this is the first that served egg whites and a healthy breakfast. There evening food is very filling...plenty of choices including vege options. I also want to recognize Jamie at the front desk. She was incredibly helpful when I could not find my rental car keys. She volunteered to help me search my room and followed-up with me after I left the hotel. I couldn't ask for better service. From the time I checked in, I felt like a guest, I was offered water as soon as I checked in.
Great job!

Room Tip: Lovely concierge lounge
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Hello Judy3720,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent trip to the San Mateo Marriott. Your opinions and input helps us maintain focus on what really important which is our guest.

I appreciate your recognition of JR in the concierge lounge he has been an awesome addition to this area with terrific guest service skills. Executive Chef Scott Gorman provides a culinary selection at both breakfast and dinner that is rarely matched elsewhere. Jamie is the newest member of our team and she has great energy that is displayed each and every day she works.

We look forward to having you stay with us during your future visit please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers,

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

The San Mateo Marriott SFO is a very good choice when you want to be near the airport and are going to spend most of your time in the Silicon Valley area. It is easy to get to, the property is well kept, and the rooms are very comfortable.

This property has two fitness facilities: one for weight lifting, and the other with machines for cardio workouts. They are relatively close to one another. Neither is very large, and yet both are perfectly adequate and up to par with Marriott standards.

The concierge lounge is excellent. The breakfast buffet is much better than average for a Marriott in the US, and there are a variety of seating options. It was busy in the morning, and yet never felt overcrowded.

Parking is for a fee, and valet we were told runs only $2 or $3 more per day (@ $25/day) than self-service.

Hello AtlantaRes,

Thank you for your detailed comments from your previous visit to the San Mateo Marriott. As a team we appreciate your observations which are shared with all of our associates.
We do have a convenient location to both Silicon Valley and San Francisco International Airport. Thank you for recognizing our two separate fitness area’s which most guest appreciate and you may not have had the opportunity to jump into the outdoor pool and hot tub. As for the concierge lounge we are typically rated among the top in this area hosted by Mimi and JR daily. Sous Chef Hani and his team take great pride in the food preparation which is definitely worth the upgrade.

Since its baseball season and I formerly resided in Woodstock, GA I would be remiss if I didn’t give a shout out for my team “GO BRAVES”!!

Please let me know if I can help the next time you come to the bay area.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

I've stayed here on business for two nights. The hotel is a typical Marriott. Nice rooms; comfortable beds. Nice lobby with a bar. The hotel is about a mile from San Mateo downtown with lots of shops/restaurants. Otherwise, there's nothing around it within easy walking distance.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Hello WhirlwindTravel,

I appreciate your time and thank you for providing feedback from your recent visit to the San Mateo Marriott.

I agree with you as well in that our rooms are very nice with comfortable beds. Our lobby is a good place to lounge and meet your visitors or family and Bobby at the bar is ready to serve your favorite drink. We are a quick drive to downtown San Mateo with seemingly endless supply of restaurants but I’d suggest a stop to the California Grill first to checkout our menu.

We look forward to hosting your next visit please let me know if I can help with any future reservations.

Cheers,

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This hotel is a great Marriott property with an awesome Cali feel. The Front Desk staff was very accommodating, getting me into my room early and the restaurant staff was helpful and smiling every time someone passed their way, Valet guys opened the door every time I entered and the van drivers were very courteous. Great experience, I will be sure to be back.

Hello Heidi A,

I want to say thank you for taking a few minutes out of your day to share your thoughts about your recent visit. Your comments have been shared with our associates at our morning meeting.

It all starts at the front drive with Joey and Reynaldo opening doors and greeting all of our guests. The front desk team led by Jamie and Shawn take great pride in being as helpful as possible from room types & locations to directions and restaurant recommendations. I’m happy to read that you had such a great experience visiting the San Mateo Marriott.

I’ll be more than happy to assist with a reservation the next time you’re in town.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
BEST WESTERN Coyote Point Inn
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront

Been to San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!