“A comfortable stay”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Dublin, Ireland
“A comfortable stay”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I've stayed at here both solo for business and with family for vacations. The staff at the hotel are always very welcoming. The rooms are large and comfortable enough for a family of four. They have extensive workout facilities with a separate room for cardio equipment and one for weights. They also have an outside pool and hot tub.

The breakfast buffet is quite diverse and tasty. There is also a chef available to make an omelet of any kinds of eggs you'd like. On a warm day you can have lunch on their small patio. There is a fountain in the middle and my husband and I find it very comfortable to have lunch or a drink out there.

They also have a small coffee shop with delicious baked items in the morning. They also stock necessity items which is very convenient.

The hotel is conveniently located next to the 101 and 92 freeways. There is a Trader Joe's, drugstore, grill style restaurant, Ross and K-Mark all within a short walk of the hotel.

There are a small number of down sides to this hotel. Their bathrooms do not have enough hooks for hanging things like clothes and toiletry bags. And unfortunately the rooms are starting to show their age with minor damage/staining to furniture, floors and bathroom fixtures. Also, be aware there is a charge for parking. The parking charges are not unusual for a large hotel in this area but it can be uncomfortable if friends come to visit for an hour and they have to pay. There is no complimentary short term parking for a situation like that.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cameron S
WarmRegards, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review, Cameron S. We are glad that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us and decided to share all the great details with other travelers. We are certain that your thorough review will be helpful to others traveling to our area. Your continued patronage is greatly appreciated. It will be our extreme pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to the U.S.

Best Regards.
Ed Gunderson, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
oakville
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights on a business trip. The reception and front lobby staff and decor is elegant. I was disappointed with the room quality. The carpets were soiled and looked like they should have been replaced 5 years ago. The bath tub was terrible and not clean. The room a/c was loud and made an annoying whining sound. I hope they upgrade the accommodations soon. I will not consider this hotel on a return visit.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kg7174
It's disappointing to hear that we missed our mark at exceeding your expectations. Thank you for bringing the details of your room to our attention, as we have located the room you stayed in and have followed up on your comments. It is always important to us to make the necessary improvements whenever possible in order to uphold the excellent, quality experience we offer. We appreciate your review and hope you will reconsider us when you return to our area.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed at the San Mateo Marriott for a one night stay between flights. The welcome was warm and the check in was prompt and all the documentation was correct. The room was spacious and clean and quiet. It was lovely to be able to open the windows. Fresh air is such a welcome plus at a hotel after a long flight. Very comfortable beds and extra bedding available. A good selection of TV channels. And a great menu selection for room service. We enjoyed a delightful meal in our room and it was delicious and beautifully presented. It's the small details; the flowers in a vase, the condiments...We had breakfast in the restaurant. The selection of food was excellent but we would have liked to see plain unsweetened yoghurt and a healthy muesli. The service was attentive and warm. A great start to the day! All the staff we met were kind and helpful...everyone from the room attendants, to the restaurant staff, to the porters and concierges. This hotel is highly recommended if you are passing through SFO and need a 1 or 2 night stay.

Room Tip: There are many wings to this hotel; any room is quiet, even the ones facing the freeway as it is a q...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ruth N
Dear Ruth N,

Thank you for sharing the details of your great stay with us and other travelers in the TripAdvisor community. We are very proud of our staff and the passion the have to serve and deliver the exceptional hospitality we are known for. Your high recommendation is greatly appreciated by all of us. We hope your travels brings you back to our area again soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 24, 2013

THERE WAS SOMEONE IN MY ROOM AS I SHOWERED, for an unspecified amount of time. This hotel needs to get its act together as IT IS NOT SAFE for people traveling solo let alone with children.

My stay at this Marriott property was on the 10th of November. As part of an airline crew all we care for are safe, quiet rooms with a comfortable bed on our nightly stays at hotels across the country. Unfortunately, the safe part isn't part of this Marriott property ability.

Truly, I had a decent stay and enjoyed the amenities the hotel had to offer including the shuttle to the mall and a great fitness center. With that said I encountered a major security flaw that this hotel needs to fix; an employee was allowed to enter my room, as I showered, and I still have no clue how long the guy was in my room. I did hear a knock as I warmed the water but I was already, to put it lightly, naked so I didn't bother to answer the door. I listened to an entire album I have loaded to my phone so I know I was in the shower for about 40 minutes. After drying off and brushing my teeth (another 10 minutes) I opened my door to the my horror of a guy standing in front of my bathroom looking in the direction of where the door was cracked......

DO NOT STAY HERE!!

After staying at more than 250 different hotels, I only choose to write reviews of bad experiences to help others who are away from home. I still haven't had a full night sleep at another hotel as I am constantly checking areas in my rooms that someone may be in. Hopefully after reading this unedited review it helps someone from encountering the same horrifying experience this has been for me. I really don't believe this staff will implement anything to stop it from happening again so stay at your own risk and families safety....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank davidbowser
We would like to again express our sincerest apologies for any miscommunication and inconvenience that occurred. An immediate investigation was started once you informed of us of what you believe took place. All that you described has never occurred at our hotel before. We have addressed and informed our entire staff, as well as discussed it in our management meeting. Of course, our concerns for the comfort and safety of our guests remains our top priority and, as always, every precaution will be taken to ensure that each guest is enjoying their experience with us.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The hotel was fine though it seemed to be a long ride on the shuttle from the airport to the hotel though the shuttle driver was very nice and friendly (forgot his name). The room was clean and the room service was good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trh4
WarmRegards, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear toddrh,

Thank you for your great rating and review! It is always nice to consistently hear that our guests enjoy our comfortable and clean accommodations, excellent service and amenities. We appreciate you choosing the San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport Hotel for your quick stay in our area, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Kindly,
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at this Marriott for two nights plus held my conference there. Everyone from the valet to catering was just soo friendly with smiles all day long. My room was a suite which was very large and very clean. We ate at the restaurant multiple times and the food was fantastic. The hotel itself was very clean and beautiful. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sharon S
Dear Sharon S,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel! It was our extreme pleasure to have you as our guest and appreciate you holding your conference at our property. We never tire of hearing that all of our staff was friendly with smiles all day long! Your high recommendation and 5 star rating means everything to us! Thank you for sharing with us and other travelers how much you enjoyed your experience. We can't wait to welcome you back to California!

Best Regards,
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

We checked in late, but before arriving called. The man who answered was rude, but the call was brief.
Checked in and was advised we'd have to pay for parking... Which free parking was my selling point in the hotel. It was waived, and we went right to bed (after spending 20+ mins to find the room... This place is huge). In the bed were hairs, dark curly ones.
We left in the morning at 8 AM, returning about 10 PM, to find the room was not made. The bathroom sink stopped draining too.
Over all it was a nice hotel. I did not mention any of this to the hotel, as we were tired, and just using the room to sleep/shower. Our room was huge though. With two tv's, a sitting room with fridge, and a coffee maker. I would stay again, for the price and 20 min drive to any where in SF.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan R
We are extremely sorry for failing to impress you. Naturally, we are disappointed to receive your feedback and learn that we clearly missed our mark on this occasion. Thank you for bringing these unacceptable details of your stay to our attention. Please be assured that your review has been addressed with the appropriate staff members. We are grateful that you would stay again and will anxiously await the opportunity to deliver the 5 star experience that you deserve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO

Been to San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!