“Wonderful!”

Ranked #45 of 462 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fashion Is. Blvd.
Transit: Public transit stops at South Norfolk directly in front of the restaurant.
Description: Although a Peninsula landmark since 1982, Top of the Market in San Mateo is almost a secret discovery above the bustling Fish Market downstairs. This intimate restaurant overlooking a quiet lagoon evokes the sophisticated charm of the classic, timeless bay area fish house. The seasonal American menu features the finest seafood, meats and local produce complimented by an exceptional wine list.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

When we arrived at the Fish Market on a Friday pm at 530, no less, the parking lot had about a thousand cars in it. The front desk was so crowded by about 60-70 people waiting for a table it was so noisy and SRO it was like a giant cocktail party.
And the wait was an hour to eat.

So we went up the steep steps to the Top of the Market, a totally separate restaurant. Night and day. Linen tablecloths, Crystal stemware, excellent menu with many varied choices and a very well selected wine list of top, delicious nice wines. Caesar salad was delicious. Mom had seafood Farro and it was superb. My swordfish was delectable. Cooked perfectly moist and tender covered with an incredible plummy-tangy sauce that was a taste delight. Nice choice of desserts served by well trained and caring waiter. Not cheap but totally worth it. Plus a great view over the lagoon outside

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

The Manager Kelly is awesome! We were trying to coordinate a large group. She called us back several times and made sure we had a great evening and great meal!

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 3, 2019

Supposedly a very good fish restaurant but i did not find a lot of interesting choices.
More like basic fish and I saw on other tables that it wasvery simply served, not extremely appetizing.
smoked fish platter as a starter is delicious however, maybe the best and can be shared as it are quite big portions. Crab was good but not from close by and the scallops were so so. not sure if worth the price.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed September 1, 2018

Being a big fan of the downstairs restaurant, we decided to try the upstairs. It exceeded my expectations. I opened with some oysters on the half shell. Well presented and delicious. As a starter, I went with the Caesar Salad. Outstanding flavor and just the right amount of dressing. For our mains, my son and I both went with the fresh grilled halibut, flown in fresh daily. I think they do it here as well or better than any other restaurant. A nice selection of wines by the glass rounded out a fantastic meal. Do not miss the opportunity to dine here.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Reservation for a group... Confirmed on the day... But when we showed up no table was ready. We were accommodated but in a crowded space.
The appetizers were really tasty, the chowder very nice. The main course for me was below average (the chef needs to learn how to make a Caesar salad dressing)...
And the waitress unfortunately had no clue about wine: 2 bottles ordered of the same, 2 different years served, and of course only one offered to taste.
Really too bad as the location is magnificent with a great view!

Date of visit: August 2018
kirk b, Guest Relations Manager at Top of the Market - San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2018

Marc - Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your dining experience. The general manager of the San Mateo Top of the Market Restaurant, Simon, would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you. Please email me a way to contact you at fishmarketfeedback+tsmmar@gmail.com I hope to hear from you soon. Kirk