“Buffet is very good but has been better”
Review of Bombay Gardens

Bombay Gardens
Reserve with OpenTable
Bombay Gardens is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 420 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This last weekend my wife and I went there for lunch.

The Chicken Maharajah in their buffet was simply amazing. The sauce on this was something that I could put on bread, rice, pasta, or spoon it directly in my pie-hole without a second thought.

However, their complementary Naan was rubbery. It used to be so perfectly crispy-hot with a chewy center that was perfect, but in the last two times I was there, this has not been the case, which is a shame.

I don't know exactly what it was but this is generally a better buffet than the nearby Clay Oven and fairly consistent crowd at Bombay Garden seems to bear this out.

Maybe it was the Chicken Maharajah. Maybe it was the classy serving pots filled with great Saag Paneer, Lamb Curry, Vegetable korma, or the fried crunchy veggie thingies (that I always love but forget the names). There was much more but I did not have the space to be able to try them.

Dessert: They had a French Vanilla ice cream that was again getting a little soft (but A for effort), Gulab Jamun is pretty consistently pleasing, sometimes they have Kheer,(rice pudding) and a sweet carrot dessert called Gajar Halva that my wife loves.

All in all, a very nice lunch, deserving another return, but this was a bit of a better value back when it was under $10. If they keep up their quality, it still is worth it, but bring back the great fresh Naan!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Nothing extra ordinary. Same old poor service, average North Indian cuisine, same old buffet. Overall a very forgettable experience. We ate here before we flew out of SFO based on a friends recommendation. The food was very oily. The restaurant is very small and not a good place for large groups etc.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The quality of food is a great mark of how busy a restaurant is for dinner on a Friday evening!

My wife and I went to this restaurant for our last dinner in the bay area before we fly back home to UK. And I have to say that after the amazing food we have been served across the bay, this is by far the worst food we were served.

Ordered a lamb biryani (thali), chicken tikka masala and naan. Whilst the naan was decent, both the lamb biryani and the chicken tikka masala were pre-cooked. Whilst the the chicken tikka masala tasted like a tomato base desert, the biryaani was blazingly hot. It clearly tasted of uncooked spices which may be owing to the fact that we requested our food to be medium spicy. So I guess they had no choice but to just sprinkle some chilly powder over our biryaani. Also, biryaani normally is cooked with basmati rice!

Service was prompt yet lacked a key ingredient - SMILE!!

All in all, this is a completely avoidable joint. And for anybody who cares, we are a Indian couple who knows a thing or two about Indian food! :)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

They got the most important thing for a restaurant, the taste of the food, right. I had Paneer Tikka and enjoyed it. My friend had Biryani and he said it was excellent too. If you are an India, you can judge the food from the way it looks and smells too, there is an authenticity in their preparation.

Try it if you go that side. The cost is slightly higher.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We went for the lunch buffet, which was priced at $10.50 per person. There were a lot of meat and vegetarian choices, but they were all pretty bland. The service can be a little slow during peak hours. Not a particularly big restaurant.
We felt that since the food was bland and service little slow, we would probably not go there again.