“A little loud...”

Kingfish Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kingfish Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 418 Restaurants in San Mateo
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Street
Description: Kingfish Restaurant, named after Huey Long, "the colorful, bigger than life man", is a restaurant that is also "bigger than life and very colorful. Kingfish is a one of a kind restaurant situated in downtown San Mateo in a historical 1920's art deco building. The restaurant features an exhibition Oyster bar, 3 full bars exhibiting a broad range of spirits and talented mixologists. There are 2 wine cellars stocked with some of the very hardest to find wines in the world, a Speakeasy lounge that always has an unparalleled live music line-up, cozy booths, and private dining rooms that would make even the French Quarter jealous. "...to walk into Kingfish is, to walk into someone's dream.", is how acclaimed SF Chronicle food editor, Michael Bauer, referred to the decor at Kingfish. Ownership takes great pride in the fact that they have one of the largest collections of authentic, Southern-Lousiana folk art in the country, to which they are always adding. The food at Kingfish is American and gives almost every palette a reason to crave. There is a passion that emanates directly from the owners, to serve only the freshest seafood possible. The steaks that are served are some of the best and tastiest you can find in the world. The ability to give each guest exactly what they crave and desire has been an increasing goal of Kingfish in recent years.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Probably a good choice for a loud and/or large groups, not so much for a quiet dinner with friends. Service was hurried and somewhat confused, i.e.,ordered a drink with bourbon, got one with scotch. Food was good if uninspired, expected more seafood choices for the reputation. Some excellent appetizers were enjoyable. Might try again, but not on a weekend.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Every time we are in the area, we visit Kingfish. We are never disappointed. A great cocktail selection. This time I tried the Sazarac, and it was well-made, using Remy instead of Bourbon. The fresh oysters are just that, fresh and yummy. Seafood it fresh and done just right. Do yourself a favor and check this place out.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I've been twice now to this restaurant, both times in groups of more than 10. The drinks list is amazing, both alcoholic and non alcoholic. The food is very very good especially but not only the fish dishes. Would recommend to all.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've been here at least three times; one time for lunch but mostly for group/team dinners. This is for the first time I'd been there.

Our large group af about 15 had so much stuff ordered at Kingfish that I was fortunate to try lots of things--virtually all good to excellent.

I started with the amazingly good Tuna Tartare with a sesame sauce and thin crispy taro chips. Then it was on to the Mexican Bay Scallop Ceviche (great), grilled skirt steak skewers (it is true that the Skirt Steak is excellent here if these were any testament).

The only slight miss for the appy was the nearly empty tuna roll that they missed packing end-to-end because my piece was void of much filling.

I had the suburb Seared Ahi Tuna which was sashimi-grade tuna over excellent seasoned sushi rice, with very lightly sauteed baby spinach and a wonderful sesame-ginger-garlic sauce.

I also got chance to taste the delicious Grilled/Roasted PRIME Tomahawk Chop that was a truly monstrous 32 ounces of beefy goodness.

Needless to say, there was too much to even think about the New Orleans Beignets that I could have had. Service was great (but was slower during a subsequent lunch visit). Wine choices were extensive and expensive, but this place is worth the splurge.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This place was so delicious they made food I normally wouldn't touch...delicious! We went because my wife and colleague like fish. I don't. But the yellow-tail appetizer with watermelon and pork rind was an absolute taste SENSATION!! The fish tacos with mango were Yum, Yum, Yummyyyy!!! Oh boy, would I like to go there again! The only reason I didn't claim it was one of the best meals I've ever had in a restaurant is because I've been to A LOT of places, and because I was disappointed in the peanut-butter-chocolate mousse. The PB was too much, too thick, and too gooey and (IMO) not enough chocolate....but that's just me. I would go back in a heartbeat!!!