“Highly recommended !”

Cross street: 25th
San Francisco, California
“Highly recommended !”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are in a mood for westernized indian food, this is THE place. It is a small restaurant, not fancy. But, food is great. They have great varieties of dosa - both veg and non-veg. Some of them are quite innovative I must say ! The service is quick. Potion size is big. Food is very tasty. If you can not take too much of spice, you have lot of choices. I will highly recommend this place.
Comments:
1.The parking lot for the restaurant is across the street inside the gas station. You will get plenty of street parking though.
2. This place is close to Hillsdale mall. If you are tired of the food from the food-chains inside the mall, couple of minutes of drive to this place is totally worth.

• Visited February 2013

Leesburg, Virginia
“Quick and Tasty Indian Food Stop”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I actually went to The Dosa Republic on Valentine's day with a coworker/friend while travelling on business. By the time we got around to thinking about dinner all the restaurants were sold out for Valentine's day but The Dosa Republic, which is counter service, had tables available so we decided to try it out. We ordered several different small plates to share and they were all wonderful. The only bummer was the lack of a liquor license but we soon got over that and enjoyed the food. I am not that familiar with southern Indian food and had never tried a Dosa before but certainly will again as it was tasty and unique. They have many vegetarian dishes which was a plus with us as well.

• Visited February 2013
San Francisco
“Great place for Southern Indian food in San Mateo”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Dosa Republic is one of the few restaurants specializing in Southern Indian food in the peninsula. with a strong local following and can be very popular during the weekends. For those unfamiliar with dosa, this is a fermented crepe made with rice batter and lentils. At Dosa Republic, you can find variations of this stuffed with all kinds of spicy ingredients. I tend to order the Thali combo platter since it contains an assortment of different items and is quite filling. It comes with petite pea pulao (rice dish), Bombay potatoes, veggie of the day (eggplant when I came), sambar (vegetable stew with pigeon peas), rasam (broth made with tamarind), roti bread, raita (yogurt and cucumber), papadum, pickles, chutney and dessert. The food is always flavorful with just the right amount of heat for me. You order at the counter and they assign you a number to take to your table. Once the food is ready, a server brings you the food. You help yourself to drinks and eating utensils.

Here is the link of the restaurant with more information:

• Visited January 2013
Edison, New Jersey
“Good place to eat ..”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Had a masala dosa, the filling was not really as how it should be in terms of spices but was not bad, just a different style of making it. Sambhar was average, chutney(s) were good. Good service, had a sweet lassi to wash it down .. was ok..... bit on the pricy side but i guess you need to pay that for the ambiance.
Had a good mix of young and family crowd, seems like a popular place for the area.

Very nice ambiance .. nice decor .. something different than a standard joint. Will surely recommend it ..

Visited September 2012
San Francisco
“Good Dosas. Friendly Service. Responsive management.”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A friendly place for spicy Indian crepes with good flavor and portions. I had their Hakkah inspired chicken dosha called the Tangra (Hakka IndoChinese Street Noodles, Asian Veggies with Chili Chicken). Very flavorful but not particularly full of chicken strips (coated with something but not freshly stir-fried)-- there were way more savory noodles than anything else. Service was very friendly and even the owner's children served me my food.

The value was good for $10 but I would preferred more freshly prepared chicken in my dosha.

6/25 Update: I also got a very thoughtful response from the owner after the above (6/18) review: "Thanks for the feedback. Our kids are always excited to run around and meet our guests. The chicken you are referring to is batter fried Indian Chinese Chili Chicken which is close to the Honey Chicken or General Tso's chicken served in all Chinese restaurants here. We make that chicken on order as it does not sit well if premade. It seems that we didn't do a good job with your dish. We'd like to make this right. Please let me know when we can have you back to serve you the same Dosa or any other of your choice and make sure you leave 100% satisfied. Thanks so much for your feedback. Totally appreciated."

This kind of response speaks very well for the management of this restaurant. It has very much encouraged me to go back!

• Visited June 2012