“Really Nice Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
San Francisco, California, United States
“Really Nice Hotel”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here in October with my family and we really enjoyed ourselves. My family and I came to visit some friends and needed a place to stay. The hotel is under new management and it looks like it was recently update. Rooms were clean and had ample room. Breakfast was delicious. Locations was good as well only a 10 min drive to San Francisco International Airport. I recommend this place and I will probably stay here again when I come visit my friends in the future.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk to call a taxi cab for you if you need it, they know a reputable local taxi compa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kiran P, Owner at Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
We really appreciate your comments and feedback. Call us directly for future reservation so we can provide you best rate possible 650-458-6556.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Booked this place from home in Portland for my wife and daughter. What a mistake. "Manager" refused to let my daughter use bathroom until he slowly plodded thru the check in process. Room was dirty and sheets looked slept in. Manager unconcerned about condition of room and actively unhelpful about cancelling reservation. Wife and daughter couldn't even spend one night there, but we were charged anyway. A much nicer room found at nearby Best Western for essentially the same price with polite and helpful staff and very nice and clean room. BE WARNED, the STONE VILLA is a DUMP with RUDE staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Robert D
StoneVillaInn, General Manager at Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest

I am sorry that you did not have a good experience at the Stone Villa Inn. We take pride in catering to our customers and giving them great hospitality . We would like to be given another chance to host you again and show you that we do care about our guest, please book directly on stonevillainnsanmateo.com for our lowest possible rates.

Travelers are raving about these San Mateo hotels

Ukiah, California
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Booked this place for a 2 day business trip. The staff was nice and owners are probably East Indians. I check in and it was quiet, however, soon after I noticed the activity in the hall way picked up. I came to realize that there was an escort in the room next to me. There was a constant flow of traffic all day and night. I noticed a small Chinese woman leaving the room a couple of times. At one point when I looked out the door, I saw the guy that checked me in going into the room. He was in for about 30 to 45 minutes then left. The parking lot is very sketchy at night and does not feel safe. I will not be staying here in the future. Not the kind of place to stay if you have a family.

Room Tip: Maybe they should not rent rooms to escorts...then again manager maybe getting freebie so this is wh...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Debra W
StoneVillaInn, General Manager at Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Guest ,

I am truly sorry that the Stone Villa Inn did not live up to your expectations when you stayed. I do have great news! We are under new management and we are really focusing on hospitality and catering to our guests needs. We have some of the best renovated rooms in San Mateo with 39 inch LCD TV's. We hope you give our new management a change to host you again while visiting the San Francisco Bay Area.

Please book directly on our website and save.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The mattresses at this hotel are rock hard and pillows are just as bad. Thank goodness we only stayed one night because my back and neck still hurt. The blanket was full of cigarette burns and the furniture looked worn. Then the toilet overflowed. When my friend asked the front desk clerk if there was a bathroom she could use while our toilet was being fixed they said NO! The breakfast food was extremely cheap. INSTANT coffee and Styrofoam plates and bowls. I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank debdancer
StoneVillaInn, Manager at Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank You for leaving a review and letting us know what issues we can improve on. I am happy to tell you that our rooms have been updated and are some of the best in the San Mateo Area. We take great satisfaction when a guest leaves our hotel happy, please come stay at our hotel again and we will surely take good care of you. Please book directly with us at stonevillainnsanmateo.com for our lowest possible rates.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My worst experience with a hotel/motel so far, but this is subjective. Let me just sum up the major things which are wrong imho and you can be the judge yourself:

- Very noisy: you can hear your neighbors. Also the fridge and air-conditioning are so loud that you have to turn them off at night.
- Noisy/bad neighborhood: there's a metal processing garage on the other side of the street and you can hear the train passing by
- Holes in sheets
- Stains on towels and very strong bleach odor
- Very dirty carpet with big stains
- No disturb sign missing
- Open trashcan near the back entrance
- Shampoo and conditioner consist of two pathetic bags
- No bath tub, just a shower with a dirty floor
- No space in bathroom to hang or put your clothes down
- Open pipes sticking outside the wall (old water pipelines for kitchen/laundry?)
- Holes in wall where powerplug is
- Bedframes are bigger than matress, guarantee to get bruises
- The light(bulb) in the bath room is above shower!? How did this ever pass the safety check??
- Cleaning staff don't knock on doors, they just enter!
- Breakfast only from 7 to 9 and poor choice
- Don't return too late to the motel, you might not have a parking spot
- Too expensive, like many people mentioned, the pictures look better than the reality

The staff was OK with me, but to some older couple who didn't speak English very well, they were very rude (I had to step in). A bit strange since they themselves don't speak English very well...
If you don't care for the things i mentioned above, but want to save money...go to Motel 6 or any motel you can find along the freeway. For the same price, you are better off at a Best Western (plus).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jimmy W
Dear Guest,

Sorry for such a bad experience at our hotel. We are under new management now and have clean and comfortable renovated rooms for your comfort. We hope you give us another change to prove ourselves. Please book directly at stonevillainnsanmateo.com for our lowest possible rates.
Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Reviewed September 27, 2013

the room is ok, better than average in this class of motel. air condition very noisy. breakfast room very small and breakfast below standard. staff does minimal service, not helpful and not friendly. high price due to peak activities in sfo (oracle open world & americas cup).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

We really appreciate your feedback. We have got in new staff and management to focus on customer service and we will make sure we implement efforts to improve and if you give us one more chance we wont disappoint you. For best rate call us directly 650-458-6556 .
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed five nights here for business in San Mateo. Rooms are decent, area is quiet, staff is friendly and flexible. I arrived around 11 am, the check in time is 3 pm so I was not allowed to check in (cause the room was not ready). But I was allowed to have a shower in the room which really helped me to recover from jet lag. I originally booked longer, but checked out earlier to be closer to down town SF for the weekend. You need to inform them of your check out 48 hours earlier, and I was refunded fully without any hassle, which was cool. Hillsdale is kind of close by, which has lots of restaurants and shops. Hayward Park station is also close by which is cool if you want to avoid traffic when going down town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ArdaKaraduman
Thank for your feedback and we really appreciate your feedback. We look forward to see you soon call us directly to make future reservation @ 650-458-6556