“Newly renovated family owned motel”

Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel at the last minute after a horrifying experience at the Best Western (please read my comments in a separate review) the night before and to me this place was a huge relief. I've stayed at 5* & budget hotels around the world and I must say that this motel is fairly decent. The pictures are not deceiving and I managed to get a restful sleep on a comfy bed while watching cable TV on the big flat screen TV after a hot shower. Also there's free Internet & parking. The location is nearby Hillsdale mall & downtown is walkable with lots of dining choices. It is on a busy street but the owner could tell I was tired when I checked in with my baggy red eyes so he offered me a room near the back so that I didn't hear any noise which was very thoughtful of him. I stayed in a queen size bed with my daughter for two nights & got to take her to the San Mateo Fair all thanks to the owner's daughter who was very friendly & helpful. I'll admit that the breakfast selection is limited & the soap comes in a package, but it's free so no complaints here. The housekeepers are two guys who do a mediocre job & towels are washed daily - not replaced.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Patriciaychou

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the stone villa for two nights nights for my birthday. The room was nice looking, comes with a mini fridge and a microwave. The only reason I felt I could give stone villa three stars is because we got to our room with no towels to take a shower, and I asked the guy at the desk for towels, instead of just "I'm sorry about that, we will have towels coming to your door very shortly" it was... "you should have towels." I explain I don't, "we will bring them to you in the next ten minutes," but it was more like 40mins with reminding. And has anyone ever been to a hotel where the housekeeping comes by before check out, because that makes no sense... We had check out at eleven. The house keeping knocks on our door at ten. (I just always thought it goes, check out, then housekeeping cleans the rooms that were left, plus anyone who else wanted their room clean, then check in) not (house keeping, check out, housekeeping, check in) it might explain how they missed the towels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I would deffinatley visit the motel more often. The location is perfect to my home. I like the fact that they had the basics, microwave, fridge, comfortable queen bed, ect. was glad that staff helped out with saving us money so we could enjoy our selves.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE. I had to stayover close to SFO for a night and due to a last minute booking/low availability I ended up staying here. The front desk (owner/manager) was extremely uncooperative and very rude. He constantly bragged about the $15 discount we got through Priceline as if it was huge bargain.The rooms were dingy and smelt like a dead cat. No maintenance at all @#$#!!!

Also this place is not very cheap at all, so even at $125/night it's definitely not worth it. Please spend your hard earned money elsewhere people. With all due respect to the few reviewers who have posted positive reviews, but they are either owners of this hotel or have stayed at a hotel for the first time. And yes I travel almost every week across the USA and do stay at 2-2.5 stars usually, I've never had a worse experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Dhruv B
Reviewed July 3, 2013

If I could I would give this motel a negative star. I'm so upset that I'm writing this review on my vacation instead of going to bed right now.

I booked this motel via Hotwire for 3 people (2 adults and one child). The hotel manager/owner decided to give us a Queen size bed to accommodate all 3 of us. I told the front desk that we would not fit into the bed and that my reservation was for a lodging for 3 people. She told me that she can give me 2 doubles for an additional $20 as a favor to me. I refused since I prepaid via the website.

The owner/manger told me that I did not book through the hotel and that I "personally" booked a Queen sized bed. I was abhorred. I booked through Hotwire and he claimed that it's not his problem and I can call "expedia" at 11:30pm to solve this situation. I suspect that if the company decided to do business with Hotwire, there must be certain agreement among the companies to make sure the customers can stay comfortably. The manager was super rude and started yelling at me and told me I could leave the hotel. When I did call Hotwire to complain, the representative said that it's not acceptable to accommodate 3 people on a queen size bed. I prepaid for my hotel and the manager told me that he would not refund me and it's not his responsibility.

After I arrived at a new hotel looking for a vacancy elsewhere I quickly realized that the front desk woman had not returned my driver's license when I was more or less kicked out by the manager. When I went back to get my license, he told me he didn't want to keep it but he held my license in his hand behind the desk and would not return it to me. Instead of giving it back he kept saying he didn't want it and never tried to keep it. That story would have been more believable if he had simply handed it back instead of playing keep-away. My husband literally had to grab it out of his hand. Of course he was yelling at us again.

I've traveled to a lot of places and stayed at a lot of nice and not so nice places, but this is by far the worst worst service experience I've ever encountered. There are a lot of ways to deal with customers but yelling and kicking the customers out in the middle of the night was not definitely not the way to go. I strongly discourage anyone who's thinking of staying at this place. This is a motel instead of a hotel. You can do better and it is worth a little extra to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn nearby. It's a totally different experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Melanie J
Kiran P, Owner at Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Hi Melanie we apologies for all the inconvenience you had at Stone Villa Inn in your recent visit. We just took over the whole business under new management. Our goals and focus is to give great customer service with best product and not to disappoint any traveler who visits Stone Villa Inn. We totally understand what you went through and you were quite unhappy with staff behavior in your past visit but we have new more professional team now who can handle situation in mannerly way. If you can give us chance to show our service and treatment we will really appreciate it.
We thank you for your feedback. We can provide you best rates if you call us directly@ 650-458-6556.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

During check in I requested to check out 1day early. I was told no problem, my travel agent even called the front desk to confirm the change, and I received an updated itinerary. Later that evening I was told I would still be charged for the cancelled night.

The carpet was worn and torn, no toilet per holder, the toilet paper was hanging by. Screw where the holder used to be. Pillows were small flat and hard. They must have one room only used for the website.

Lobby has a strong smell

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2013

After reading the reviews I was skeptical. I even thought about canceling my reservation and finding another pace to stay. I am a business executive that needed a close place to the airport to get some work done after a full day of meetings. The room was spacious, well appointed, clean, had a full walk in closet, flat screen TV, stand up shower (not bathtub),good water pressure (uncommon for the area), a very comfortable bed, new plantation shutters throughout (nice touch), and great seating and work area. The customer service was non-existent. But I suspect they get a lot of jerks checking in. Who cares - I don't choose a place because of nice owners. It was nice and quiet and a very pleasant stay. Don;t come for a vacation or with kids. There is nothing to do within walking distance and the area of town is not great at all. But this is a very convenient place for a good night's sleep for a business traveler that is in the Bay Area for work. Best rooms are above the check in area and above where it appears the owners reside. And it seems there is current remodeling being done. This place gets a bad rap based on my experience. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms 201 to 204