“San Mateo Stone Villa”

Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I liked the aroma of the curry in the office but the service was just OK. For breakfast a man who has trouble with the english language stood at the door and checked for your key card. Lots of white bread bagles. some cereal and some fruit. coffee and juice. Nothing to write home about. The beds are very hard. Our bathroom had not towel bar so we had to hang towels around inside the bathroom. After an outing we returned to find NO towels and needed to call and ask for them. I love the area but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 18, 2011

When you check in, all you can smell is the curry aroma everywhere in the concierge office. Front desk guy has a really bad attitude, tell us if we didn't put the chairs back in the exact same way as it was (breakfast room), then we may not use it at all. Unwilling to provide additional blanket, even went as far as telling us to track down the cleaning staff to get toilet paper and shower towel ourselves. Breakfast was aweful, frozen danish, and water down orange juice from a can. BUT THE CLEANING STAFF WAS EXTREMELY NICE.

Room Tip: Use brandname websites to book the reservation to avoid hassel from the concierge indian guy. The f...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2011

When I arrived, the computer and fax machine were both down and the clerk did not have the Hotels.com confirmation. He called their number to confirm, a process which took nearly a half hour when I had arrived from Asia and needed a shower and a bed right away.

Hotel staff misled me by how far the motel was from BART and Caltrain. I was told it was a three block walk that took less than five minutes. Instead, Hayward Park station is nearly a half-hour walk and not really practical to walk there with luggage. SamTrans runs right by the hotel, but it takes 3 transfers to get to the airport and forever to get into the city.

While there was free wi-fi, my room had no table or desk where I could work. Although I couldn't get into the city for dinner, there were a few half-way decent restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room towards the back. El Camino Real is at the front and is noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 12, 2011

my business partner and I stayed for 1 week doing business in the San Francisco area The owners/operators provided excellent customer service, were very friendly and accommodating upon all requests. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. I woke up feeling very refreshed, I really liked the beds. the breakfast was very nice it is a larger breakfast area with ample seating and quite a spread of various breakfast items it was definitely an upscale continental breakfast. The Location of Stone Villa Inn is excellent only 20 minutes to San Francisco the airport is about 15 minutes away and silicon Valley/san jose is very close also. All in all I will certainly stay at Stone Villa Inn again upon my future return to the area. This is the best value in the area period!

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms if you have a lot of luggage as the facility lacks elevators
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2011

This hotel was good for one night but definitely no more than that because the beds are hard as a rock. I did not sleep well at all but I did find the hotel room and restroom to be clean and they did offer breakfast (pastries, bagels, fresh fruit)

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Like a Motel 6 for $160 per night. Newly remodeled but stains on the bed cover, unfinished wall patches in the bathroom and finish coming off the sink stand.

For $50 I could overlook these things but not for the price they charge.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were in San Mateo for one night helping our son move. The Stone Villa Inn looked a great value on the web and so we decided, for one night, it was worth a try. We won't be staying there again! First, the walls are paper thin so you can hear conversations/television from surrounding rooms and since we were in a downstairs room we heard the tromping of hooves (feet) and doors from above us all night long. Next, when turning on the bathroom light the exhaust fan comes on automatically sounding like a jet engine, so don't think you're going to take a bathroom break in the middle of the night without waking your partner. Our room furnishings were a bit worn but no bed bugs so that's a huge plus. We took one look at the continental breakfast buffet and walked out. All and all not a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms only
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Howard Johnson Express San Mateo
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn

Been to Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!