“Nice on the water experience”
Review of The Fish Market

The Fish Market
Ranked #4 of 423 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled alongside a quiet lagoon, our fourth restaurant, and the first to feature the upstairs, upscale Top of the Market, has been a dining destination for bay area residents since 1982. This beautiful restaurant also features a full-service cocktail bar and lounge area, and a popular oyster bar. Patio dining is available in the summer months.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We went to the Fish Market when the "real" coast was obscured by fog, so chose waterfront (lagoon) view dining at the Fish Market and found the food to be excellent and the view nice. Despite being a Monday night it was quite crowded and clearly a local favorite, but we didn't have to wait. The menu had a lot of options from standards like fish and chips to fresh broiled fish of the day. There was a fish market in the lobby, so you could be assured that the fish was fresh. The service was also very good.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

It seems to be a bit counter-intuitive to expect vegan options at a restaurant that is specialized in fish. They pretty much had nothing on the menu that could be considered vegan. They were creative enough to present their own vegan creation that was absolutely wonderful. The waiters understood what was meant (without the need for long explanations) and the food (noodles with a tomatoe sauce and vegetables) was excellent.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been to the Fish Market in Sunnyvale before. The fish and the atmosphere are usually pretty nice but I have never gotten anything really special. I stopped in here and was able to grab a seat close to the window, which had a nice view. The lobster salad was okay, but nothing like I have gotten in Boston and Maine. For dessert, I had the warm apple crisp a la mode. It was tasty but the pistachio ice cream seemed to be a cheap brand. It is an okay place for seafood but I would hope that there are much better places for seafood in the area.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Been coming here since it first opened way back in 1984. They have a early bird special from Mon day thru Thursday 4pm -6pm and it's 6 items from the main menu that are $12.95 ea. Believe me the dinners are well worth the price for what you get. The happy hour is also worth checking out in the bar only. On warm days it's nice to sit out on the covered rear patio near the lagoon.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Found this place on TripAdvisor and boy, am I glad we did! Our server, Jase, did a great job introducing us to the restaurant and the concept. He made terrific recommendations, including an idea to try the New England clam chowder and Manhattan clam chowder ("red and white") in the same cup, with some fresh romano cheese on top. I knew right then we were in for a treat. My fresh Pacific Yellowfin Tuna with a side of lime / cilantro sauce was cooked perfectly and tasted divine. My husband had the fresh line-caught swordfish...lightly blackened (Jase told us harpooned swordfish is even better, but none in the house that night). Out of this world GREAT!! The sides (roasted veggies, au gratin potatoes) were just "eh", but my Cosmo and his craft brew helped everything go down well.

The manager stopped by, told us she heard it was our first time, and recommended we try a dessert on the house - how could we say no? S'more cake it was. Seriously? Fresh graham cracker crust, a 1/2" piece of dark chocolate, and the smoothest, non-sticky layer of light marshmallow you've every tasted - oh wow. What a finish! If we lived here, we would definitely be regulars. We ate downstairs and thought the ambiance was fun and relaxed. We were originally seated on the "inside porch" - but thought it was too loud and cramped.

In San Mateo or near the airport? You have to give this one a try. Thanks Jase for a really great evening!