“Great Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Red Deer, Alberta
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

2 friends and I stayed at the BW Coyote Point for three days at the beginning of the month. The main reasons for choosing the hotel were the location on the 101, the proximity to SFO and the price. The room was clean and well-maintained which is all I ask. The hotel is a few years old and could use some updating but nothing that would stop me from from staying again. The front desk staff was helpful when we were looking for restaurants and making arrangements for shuttles. The two best features of the hotel were the hot breakfasts and the free shuttle to and from the airport. We used the shuttle both full days we were there to get to and from the BART station at SFO. The breakfasts had limited options but were perfect for the three of us to grab something light before we headed into San Francisco for a day of sightseeing. Having said that, the hotel is quite a distance from downton SF and I would probably opt for something a little closer to downtown if I was there again. However, if I was just travelling through I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Avoid this hotel and stay where the "manager" has a clue what reasonable customer service is....The manager, Dan Karki, who evidently prides himself as being the figure head at the Coyote Point Best Western Hotel became "unglued" when he felt he had caught a professionally dressed, respectful middle aged woman, such as myself, to be what he perceived to be "stealing from him". I had received express permission to grab a couple apples and a couple yoghurts from the pantry, by the hotel front desk clerk, as I had been given permission on many of my extended park and fly stays at that hotel. You see, I had a very early flight the next morning, would not have a chance to partake of the continental breakfast served after my flight left, and was repetitively given permission to help myself to a few things from the pantry so I would not go hungry. When this Dan felt he had caught me supposedly stealing from him, he severely lambasted me in front of the staff and other guests. As he seemed to misunderstand, and I calmly tried to explain, he would not listen but immediately began threatening me- and I did feel threatened and endangered by him. So, I discussed it with my husband who was already in the room as it was late, and we decided it would be best to call the Police and file a report. The police immediately came, I gave a report of the unfortunate incident, and I immediately asked that the officers kindly return the small bag of that which the unqualified management person had falsely felt I had stolen from him. Interesting that during the incident Dan Karki had claimed that he was the owner of the establishment- definitely an ego out of control. Well the San Mateo Police Department have been and will continue to watch over this "employee" ever since he reprimanded and threatened a long time customer. We will never stay there again, and I would suggest that you thing twice as you may be the next target of his unwarranted & irrational attacks in the lobby of Best Western Coyote Point, San Mateo, CA. If you may doubt what I am saying here, that's OK, why don't you just test Dan Karki and see what treatment you, the loyal customer might receive yourself. Oh, and Best Western corporate won't come to your aide either, they will side with the property owner- which BTW is not the infamous Dan Karki. I do believe in karma, and what goes around comes around. We will pray for him.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank travelcafe
dkarki1044, Manager at Best Western Coyote Point Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
All staff at the Best Western Plus Coyote Point prides ourselves in being accommodating, service-oriented individuals with the common goal of providing excellent service to all of our guests.
As far as our issue with a guest’s unauthorized presence in the pantry, I will forego any comment since telling “our side” serves no purpose. Our goal is always to provide each guest with an excellent experience, every time.
However, I will address your ratings on the CLEANLINESS, VALUE and SLEEP QUALITY of our hotel. I can acknowledge that you feel you didn’t get the service you expected, but to rate low on the other areas that you obviously had positive ratings for before this incident doesn’t make sense. Ours is one of several hotels in the area that have park and fly packages, so my only conclusion was that we DO offer a clean, restful, valuable environment that you selected out of the options available in the past and your own comments “on many of my extended park and fly stays at that hotel”.
Again, I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay and for our misunderstanding. Our hope is that, since you obviously enjoyed our hotel many times prior, you will reconsider and stay with us again.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed here after a very late arrival flight before heading up to Yosemite. It was very clean, check-in was quick and easy and our rooms were very comfortable. Breakfast was a standard Best Western breakfast with a variety of prepackaged types of food.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotts Valley, CA
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this property for two nights as part of a weekend sightseeing trip to San Francisco. We found the hotel to be delightful. Best Western has really upgraded it's properties in recent years and we have become accustomed to staying at a Best Western property when ever possible. The hotel at Coyote Point was no exception. The lobby and breakfast room is nicely appointed and inviting. Our room was very spacious, clean, and comfortable - with a sofa/bed included with the king size one. Our only complaint would be with the necessary air conditioner so close to the bed that an extra blanket was needed. There is no swimming pool, but the hot tub was delightful. Breakfast was plentiful - lots of carbs (waffles, breads, bagels, muffins) with scrambled eggs on one morning, hard boiled ones on the other. Four choices of juices was more than we were accustomed to. The exercise room was nicely equipped with four types of equipment. Even though the property is very close to the freeway, it was very quiet in our room. All in all, we would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011
Hilo, HI
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Chose this for the price, proximity to SFO, and relatively close to Palo Alto (which was our target to attend graduation, but all affordable rooms there were booked by April), and satisfaction with Best Western in general. As another reviewer mentioned, it's very easy to get to heading N on 101 (Dore Ave exit) but much more difficult from the airport (spent nearly 2 hours following GPS that led us in circles crossing US101 for what should have been 10 minutes) - called the hotel and got no answer, so called the 1-800 number and received great assistance (she notified the hotel that I was trying to call for directions and only then was I able to reach them). Breakfast was good enough to save us time, money and prevent us from overeating if we'd gone to a restaurant. Hot beverages available all day. Room was clean, lots of pillows, extra blankets, refrig and microwave. No problems with towels, plumbing and temperature control. Housekeeping was done in late afternoon (4:30) , so we'd arrive back from a day out only to find the room still not made up. Tried to get late check out (can request that only 24 hours before), but was told 12 noon was the latest (we had a 4:30 pm flight) which is odd because housekeeping was usually done after 2:30 during our stay. Lots of parking with a basement lot as well as above-ground. Great restaurants 5 min away on B Street and 3rd Ave. Hopefully you don't have to rely on front desk service since there is only one person on duty at a time. Computer and printer for boarding passes are convenient but there is no time limit posted, so kids play games, adults leisurely check their e-mails - annoying.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Note: this review was written BEFORE I even spent my first night in the hotel - just after the check-in!
Note-2: I am a Best Western Diamond club member - their highest status for VERY frequent visitors [a status I have in a couple more chains like Hyatt etc.] - which means I do have what to compare it with.

I have arrived at the hotel at 11:30 AM. Early but Diamond members are guarantied early and late check-in [upon availability]. The very nice but very unprofessional receptionist [being nice is great but not enough!], told me she can't even check me in because all rooms are dirty and housekeeping didn't even start cleaning [11:30 AM...]. All this she did without even consulting her computer.
I have checked if their suit is booked for the next 3 days and was told it is available. Diamond members are promised upgrade upon availability. Receptionist declined and called manager. Manager conveyed through her that this is an independent facility and he does not have to respect Best Western policies [for those who trust the name...]. He added that I can cancel my reservation and find another hotel if I want!
I have stored all my luggage [a lot] in their storage room and just before leaving, I have asked to check which room configurations they have for the night. Receptionist checked her computer to find out a clean room ready. SURPRISE!!! Checked me in and I had to go and fetch my luggage from the storage, where I left it 5 minutes earlier.

Couldn't operate my safe. Receptionist said only the manager knows how to.....
He might be in the hotel in the afternoon but she doesn't know when and for how long!

Good luck choosing a hotel to stay - on my first 20 minutes experience with this one, I would avoid it.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ernani_99
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 27, 2011

This hotel is relatively close to the SFO airport on the south side (city center is north). It is slightly complicated to get to when driving south, but easy to get to from driving north on 101 (Dore exit). Rooms well appointed, extremely comfortable bed, real mugs with coffemaker (not just styrofoam), Minor noise from 101 may be audible in some rooms. Breakfast with bananas, apples, oranges, hardboiled eggs, overall very satisfactory. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport / Burlingame

Been to Best Western Coyote Point Inn? Share your experiences!