Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Centreville
“Bed Bugs”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Out of 7 hotels on a 10-day trip from LA to San Francisco, this was the worst hotel, and I was bitten by bedbugs. It's so basic, it didn't even have a soap dish; I had to use a coffee mug. Decor and linens are out of date, and last but not least--there were bedbugs. The front office staff was great during the stay, but when I called to report the bedbugs after I had gotten home, I didn't even get an apology or offer for a credit. It only cost $89.00/night, but I should have paid a little extra. Never again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Mary - We appreciate you posting a review about your stay at our hotel. I apologize that your stay at our hotel was not a comfortable one and am disheartened to hear that our staff was unable to provide you with 100% guest satisfaction. Please know, with your review in mind, I have spoken with each member of the team, reviewing cleanliness standards, room set-up checklists and customer service guidelines. We are going to work hard to improve.

It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future. We look forward to having the chance to show you our redoubled efforts. For a reservation, please contact us directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had reserved a nonsmoking room with a king bed and sofa sleeper. We got to the room and there was only a king bed. We had 4 people with us and there was no way for us to all sleep together. We had to stay in the room that night since it was about 11pm and the front office was closed. I called the after hours number and they told me to check with front desk in the morning for a different room. I got a new room at about 3pm the next day since they had to clean it. We got to the room and it was a smoking room. The smell was horrible. We stayed there anyways since they told me there weren't any other rooms available. We left last Sunday and just yesterday we woke up to bed bug bites on our necks, arms and back. This is the first time this has happened to us. We thought they were spider bites. Needless to say I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here due to bed bugs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank David W
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
David - We appreciate you posting a review about your stay at our hotel. The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings for all of our guests to enjoy. It seems that we were unable to do so in your case, and for that I am truly sorry.

Please know that our housekeeping staff is held to extremely high standards when it comes to cleanliness. Our company policy is to clean guest rooms every 7-days, and in between upon guest request for a minimal fee, as well as once a guest checks out of the hotel. Managers are then tasked with inspecting the rooms. By following these procedures, we can ensure that our guests are entering rooms which are guaranteed to be clean and comfortable. You have my sincerest apologies that we did not meet these expectations with you and your family.

In response to your feedback, I have met with the entire staff to review cleaning and inspection procedures as well as coached them on professionalism. It is our goal to use your remarks as a way to improve our overall processes.

We hope that you will give us another chance, and stay at our hotel again in the future. We also have a myriad of locations which you can stay at around the U.S. and Canada. Either way, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly should you have any further questions.

Travelers are raving about these San Mateo hotels

Abilene, TX
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I received a voicemail from the manager asking me to call. I did, and got a second person who explained that another guest had extended their stay, so the room I had guaranteed was not available (King Suite). I would have to settle for a smaller room and a Queen bed.

This should never happen, and has never happened to me in hundreds of hotel stays across the country. Guaranteed means guaranteed. If an existing guest wants to extend their stay, they are told, as I have been, that the room is not available beyond their reserved time, but that THEY can move to the smaller room, NOT the arriving guest with a guaranteed reservation. I will be writing their home office about this as well.

In all fairness, I was told over the phone that my first night would be free, and I would receive a discount on my second night.

When I arrived, a third individual tried to tell me that the first night was not free unless I moved to an alternate hotel (within their chain). I had him read the notes carefully, which clearly indicated the first night was to be free at their hotel as well. He eventually capitulated and the first night was comp’d.

Are you kidding me? What terrible communication!

Again, in all fairness everyone was very polite during this entire fiasco.

The manager sent a note and a Starbucks card to my room the following day. Very nice.

Even if none of this had occurred, I have to say I was unimpressed with the facilities. This is a motel with outside entrances. The kitchen light did not work properly. The bed was of poor quality. The noise levels were pretty high, especially in my room which faced the freeway. It would have been nice to open the window, but the road noise is non-stop. There was hair on the shower tile (not mine). The grounds are not well kept. It’s not a dump, and the grounds are not hideous, but they are also not well kept.

I will attach a few photos I took, I recommend you give them a look.

Based on this stay, I will not return.

Room Tip: Don't. But if you do, make sure your window is not facing the highway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry we are.

As an extended stay lodging hotel, we have many guests who need to leave their departure date open or extend their stay at the last minute. We work hard to prevent these changes from affecting other guests. However, in extremely rare cases like yours, a sudden increase in guests extending their stays without notice causes a shortage of rooms or room types available for arriving guests. Our standard policy when we are unable to honor a reservation is such that we find you a new accommodation at a sister hotel site or other close by comparable hotel and we pay for the first nights stay. Should we have a room type change due to availability at the same hotel we may offer a discount on the stay or a "complimentary" night at the Managers discretion. I do sincerely apologize that there was confusion and mis-communication between the staff members on this upon your arrival.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. We work very hard each day to keep our hotel and grounds clean and the grounds debris free and our guests comfortable and satisfied. We would certainly appreciate the opportunity to have you as a guest at one of our many locations again. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband, niece and I stayed here in for two nights in August 2012. We arrived at about 9:00 at night. It can be a little tricky finding it in the evening. There are office/commercial buildings all around it. On the plus side, there is plenty of parking.

Once I checked in, the gentleman at the front desk (Eric), showed me a map to our room and suggested the location where to park. I hopped back into the car and directed my husband to park around the corner as Eric told us. Once we parked, Eric came right up and explained that he misdirected us as to the room location. He apologized and asked us to follow him to a closer parking area. We did and he even helped us carry a few bags to our room. I've never had a front lobby clerk go the extra mile like that.

We stayed in a King suite with sofa bed. It was convenient to have the kitchenette with full-sized fridge. We were in the area for an event at the fairgrounds, so it was nice to keep all of our drinks/snacks in the fridge before packing them up in the cooler each day. We didn't use the stove during our stay, but we used the utensils and cups.

The sofa bed was a twin sized pull out. My niece said the springs were a bit uncomfortable. We asked for another blanket for her and she put that down on the mattress.

Our king bed was great. The mattress was nice and firm and they had tons of pillows! Some pillows were soft, some were firm. I wish more hotels would do that so you can pick which ones are the most comfortable for your head. The shower was very nice. Great water pressure and the curtain rod was a curved one so you don't feel cramped. Keep in mind that this is an extended stay hotel, which caters to longer visits. There is no housekeeping service unless you stay for a full week. You can always ask for towels, toilet paper, etc. at the front desk, though. They even had a toothbrush/paste for my niece who had forgotten hers.

They have coffee/tea, oatmeal, packaged pastries and fruit in the lobby in the morning.

Although it's all office space immediately around the hotel, it is a very short distance to shopping and restaurants. On the other side of the freeway (Hwy 92), there is a Target, Marshall's, Mimi's Cafe, BJ's Restaurant, Red Robin and other stores right there. It's a three minute drive from the hotel.

This was a comfortable stay and we will not hesitate to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such a wonderful review about your experience at our hotel. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Staff are one of the greatest at this location being very courteous, professional and very helpful. As a family the hotel was amazing for all of us. We met different staff members throughout our stay who really shared a lot of tips about the area. Our next visit will be at this location for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KarimSB
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Karim - It is so rewarding to hear that you and your family truly enjoyed your stay at our hotel. The staff and I get great pleasure reading the accolades you posted about us and look forward to providing the same service to all of our guests.

Having you join us at our hotel again in the near future would be absolutely wonderful. Once again, thank you for your kind words.
Sacramen
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Couldn't be happier! Big change since the last time I visited. Really enjoyed the breakfast and the staff were so helpful! The location was great next to highway 92 and 101 and has grocery stores and restaurants nearby. Will definitely be back next time for work.

Room Tip: Make sure to get the biggest king room - so much space!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ron - Thank you for your glowing review about your stay at our hotel. The staff and I are dedicated to ensuring 100% guest satisfaction. It is incredibly rewarding to know that we not only met your expectations, but exceeded them too.

We look forward to having you stay with us the next time you travel to our area on business or for personal reasons. Your kind words are very much appreciated.
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I've gotten used to the indifferent way most hotels treat their guests nowadays, but this one was suprisingly different. The hotel looks amazing inside and out since the renovations. I love the little extra touch of the water filters in every room. The staff, though obviously a little new, were very polite and friendly. Especially the Manager, Sandra, who was extremely personable and made me feel like a person not just another guest. Definantely going to use them again.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank ChristinaFoxx408
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO and recognition of Sandra. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Los Prados Hotel
#9 of 12 in San Mateo
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Courtyard San Mateo Foster City

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO? Share your experiences!