“Great value, supermarket sushi.”
Review of Old Town Sushi

Old Town Sushi
Ranked #40 of 408 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: If you go to Yelp you will find 358 reviews on this restaurant.
Barrington, Rhode Island
“Great value, supermarket sushi.”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

I ordered the salmon chirashi which was loaded with salmon, but it was served on a plate. You can't mess up chirashi, but they managed to by serving a rice bowl dish in a plate.

I also had a hamachi roll and a spicy Tuna roll. I could taste the Tabasco sauce and the yellowtail scallion roll had scallions sprinkled on top. Seasons seeds were also thrown in on top as an after thought.

The reason? They are Chinese folks trying to do sushi. I'm Chinese and I'm embarrassed. The sushi "chefs" we're really just doing imitations of the sushi and took the art and presentation out of the experience.

I'm a sushi nut, so I am picky. If you are looking for raw fish with some rice (not prepared properly with rice vinegar and sugar) and cheap tasteless and chewy nori, you won't mind old town sushi.

1 Thank MarkSYWong

daly
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Descrimination, alive and well here:(”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

very bad experienced we just had in this restaurant the service was not good at all:( They pretend that they dont know how to speak in english b coz they cannot give us the right answer to our questions.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank josie i
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good portions”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Average Sushi, and good service, but sometimes the food does not taste as good as the pictures. Very curteous staff.

• Visited August 2012
bay area
“Wholly Sushi! Large portions of food for a great price”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Old Town Sushi has become a hot spot in downtown San Mateo for large portions of food for a reasonable prices. There always seems to be a line for this place no matter what time you go. Located a few blocks north of the movie theatres, this is a great spot to go for dining after a movie or before a movie if you allow time to wait. The combo plates really should be shared with another person. For $14 you can select two items that come with soup and salad. The sushi rolls are regular size portions that you would find at other restaurants for about $11-$12 by itself. I ordered the dragon roll and chicken katsu combo and had to bring food home for another meal. The portion size for the chicken katsu is probably double that of other places. My friend had the chicken teriyaki and her portion was equivalent to double that of other places as well. We didn't like the chicken teriyaki as much because the meat was not marinaded ahead of time so the favor of the sauce was not absorbed in the meat. If you don't mind a more bland teriyaki sauce then you would be fine.

There is one roll called the NUMBER ONE roll that is huge. There is a pile of crabmeat with salmon and other ingredients that stands about 3-4inches high! I didn't get to try it but was amazed at how the ingredients stand up and how much you get.

Some people say that the quantity is great but the quality is not so great. I would say it depends on how you like your sushi. and what you order. I do warn you that some of the rolls have quite a bit of mayonaise in them and while the teriyaki is rather bland I found the chicken katsu to be good - moist and just the right amount of crunch. If you find the right combination of items that you like then you will be happy. If you order the wrong item, try something els the next time. The first time I went there I didn't like the salmon that I ordered and didn't go back for awhile. On my second visit I had the dragon roll and chicken katsu and that is what has brought me back there on numerous visits.

Bring your appetite to this place and don't worry too much about the cost of the meal because you will leave with a full stomach and a wallet full of cash!

• Visited July 2011