“Really disappointing experience”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 1st and 2nd Avenue
Transit: Near San Mateo Train stop.
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My family and I ate dinner here last night and all eight of us were disappointed. The service was very slow (restaurant wasn't busy either) and the food was not up to par, as it normally is. The short ribs with pappardelle had way too much horseradish (horseradish in Italian food?), one of the pizzas was hard and overcooked, and our two children's pasta with meat sauce tasted like plain tomato sauce with bits of ground beef. We ordered a butterscotch pudding (best thing we had) and more wine, and had to wait 15 minutes for the pudding. The wine never showed so we just cancelled it. Really bummed, as this used to be a go-to place for us. Not sure when/if we will be coming back.

There are newer reviews for Osteria Coppa

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This place truly has some of the best Italian food I've ever had on the peninsula. Their menu is similar to others in the region, but their ingredients are extremely fresh and local, plus the chef and owner is passionate about his restaurant its product, so of course it shines through in his culinary creations. If you order a pizza, try something new and add the farm fresh egg sunny-side up on top! It is absolutely delicious and adds a whole new flavor and texture to the pizza. The large raviolo is divine, along with their sides, including my favorites, the pan roasted Brussels sprouts, creamy polenta that is just melt in your mouth amazing, and the grilled broccoli with crispy breadcrumbs. Molto buono! This place does tend to get quite busy, and at times there is a wait to get in the door. The service, of course, takes a plunge because of this. be prepared to spend some time here. Enjoy the lovely decor and order a bottle of Italian wine. It is all worth it!

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Just sit down and enjoy. Order the Salumi and cheese plates $18 each and enough for 4. The Petrale sole was wonderful, moist and nicely prepared at $25. There was a pumpkin ravioli special $17 the night we dined and I would encourage you to try the daily pasta special. I like butterscotch a lot so the budino $8 was a perfect sweet choice for me.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

My daughter and I went there for dinner. I had the beet salad - which was delightful. I also ordered pork skin served on top a bed of beans. The Pork Skin was crispy, but not too much seasoning, no sauce over it. Kind of blend. The waiter was very knowledgeable, attentive. We had a good time.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Wonderful food and great atmosphere. Service was amazing and the sauce was the freshest I've ever had at a restaurant.