“Delightful spur-of-the-moment surprise with easy access”
Review of Osteria Coppa - CLOSED

Osteria Coppa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 1st and 2nd Avenue
Transit: Near San Mateo Train stop.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

While staying in Palo Alto, my husband and I met our San Francisco son half way in between one Monday night and were pleasantly surprised by our excellent, spur of the moment restaurant choice! Just can't say enough about the great service, food, menu, alcohol menu, ambiance, etc. ~ perfect for the quick but tasty dining experience we were looking for. The close proximity to a downtown parking garage made our trip that much easier and enjoyable. We'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The ambience is good; the bread is first class; the food in general is very good. I loved that there was a backyard outdoor space in which to dine. Everything would add up to a very good restaurant except for the service. Our waitress was friendly and nice but just not around. If I wanted a coffee refill, I had to get up and get it myself. Same for the check or anything else that was need. The place was not very busy nor was it understaffed so the lack of service took away from what would have been a very nice dining experience.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I'm italian and trust me: this restaurant is really good. Pizza like in Italy or better, fast service and warm persons. I'll be back!!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was my second time there -- went for dinner a couple of years ago and came away this time with the same thoughts -- just meh/ok...wouldn't have returned this time but we were using a gift card so we thought we'd try brunch. Brunch in San Mateo -- $85 -- I could readily live with the cost IF the food and the experience warranted. Just didn't do it for us.
The good:
* the bloody Mary was great
*the roasted corn soup
* the Acme Bread
*Baked Eggs with Duck Confit

The not so good:
* the place had about 5 tables occupied
* they seated a very loud party of three right next to us. Once they arrived the quiet
conversation we were having was shot by this obnoxious trio
*the soft scrambled eggs with pea greens, mushrooms and ricotta with cardboard
potateoes were one of the MOST boring entrees I have ever had. There was not
one redeeming quality to them -- they were boring, not at all soft and the pea greens
were like chewing grass
*Buratta cheese with English Peas and Pesto was pretty skimpy and non-descript

Unfortunately, we have $$ left on our gift card -- an interesting phenom to me was that in most places if you have have any $$ left, they return the balance to you in cash. Oh not here---we now are forced to go back or lose the money our hard working kids used to give us what they perceived as a treat for us. We'll try some of the that highly touted home made pasta next...Too

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Food was really good. Salads were so fresh and the pizzas were delicious. I thought the pastas wee so-so. The highlight was their beef. We had to order one more!
A great cosy place to hang out with family and friends.