“Great variety of food”
Review of Attic

Attic
Reserve with OpenTable
Attic is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 409 Restaurants in San Mateo
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd Avenue
Transit: SamTrans, Caltrain
“Great variety of food”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

As others have said, this place is more of an Asian fusion restaurant than just a Chinese restaurant. They are able to blend many of the different styles of cuisines offered in Asia into one menu. We had a large party and so we ordered many of their dishes to try: quinoa and kale salad, ahi tuna, sesame cucumber, adobo wings, lettuce cups, beef fillet, curry, Korean BBQ, and many others. All of them were very tasty and I don't think anybody left the restaurant feeling hungry. This place has plenty of ambiance and I would definitely come back here again. A hidden gem since it is upstairs in the Attic.

• Visited July 2013

Indiana
“Very good food”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in here for dinner with two friends - delicious food. Had the sweet potato fries, edamame, white tuna poke, crispy pork stir fry, garlic noodles, sizzling sizig and olive oil poached gambas al ajillo - everything was spot on - we ate everything that was served. Beer and wine selection was sparse. Highly recommended.

San Francisco, California
“A food journey to Nirvana!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Attic is a gem in the busy restaurant row of South B street. Although this restaurant is categorized on FB and Yelp as Chinese..that it is not. It is more Asian fusion with a heavy emphasis on the Filipino roots it build upon. Chef Tim Luym mixes traditional Filipino food with other Asian influence and comes up with wonderful, mouthfuls of bliss. We had 10 in our party and were easily comfortable upstairs. Our journey began with the Calamansi Refresher which is a sweet drink akin to a mojito without the alcohol. As we tasted the shanghai-egg rolls and sweet potato fries with home made banana ketchup(yum) and salted fish with egg, rice sushi...our food trip started happily as we wondered what was around the corner. Then came the Inihaw Kinilaw Surf & Turf which is a butterfish ceviche with coconut milk and Adobo Wings lollipops. We all just thought..wow, this stuff is amazing. Then Chef Tim poured on the Beef & Bone 'Bulalo' - a roasted marrow and oxtail delicacy with napa cabbage and plantains, Bo Luc Lac Shaking Beef, off menu item- Ginataan Srimp with Okra and Eggplant, , the Crispy Pata (deep fried pork hock) with Lechon and Chicharon, 4 different vinegar dips ranging from sweet to sour -> spicy -> to sour spicy sweet! Then just when we thought we were in heaven, the Coconut rice, Long Life Garlic Noodles and Crab Butter Fried Rice comes. We had past heaven and achieved food Nirvana!

Needless to say, we were all very happy, full and in food coma...dreaming of the orgasmic feast we had last night! I would happily go again and again!

• Visited October 2012
Albany, Oregon, United States
“Mouthwateringly wonderful”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Absolutely wonderful dinner at Attic tonight. We arrived at about 7:15pm on a Thursday night. There were several empty tables but she told us it would be a 10-15 minute wait so we went to the small upstairs bar. It took a while to get service but the bartender was friendly. We ordered and received our drinks and then were shown to our table.

Our waiter was attentive from the get go and was incredibly friendly. We ordered:

Sweet Potato Fries with Banana Ketchup: My dining partner doesn't like bananas or ketchup. This was a hit all the way around. The fries were crispy, sweet, salty and just plain delicious. The "ketchup" had a short banana sweetness followed by a zesty and wonderful kick.

Tuna Poke: Oh. My. Yum. This was absolutely the best raw tuna dish I have ever had. The tuna was a beautiful color, clearly very fresh. The only downfall here was the chips that it was served with which were not anything special. Together with the poke though they did work though.

Korean BBQ Lettuce Wraps: This was my least favorite. The dish was served "create your own" style with lettuce, bean sprouts, kimchee, spinach, beef and onions and sauce all served separately. At $13 it didn't feel like a very big portion and the ingredients were only "eh" except for the beef which was incredibly tender and tasty.

Long Life Garlic Noodles: These were wonderful. We didn't order the crab and I have to admit I wished we had but only because I think it would have added to the complexity of the dish. It was simple but lovely, cooked well, flavored flawlessly.

Honestly, I wish we'd ordered more but of course since there were just two of us we couldn't have fit another bite in.

I definitely recommend Attic to anyone looking for a great meal and plan to come back myself.

• Visited August 2012
“Unique and Delicious”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

From the outside this doesn't look like much and you have to go upstairs from the bar but what a great restaurant. The food was very different. We had garlic shrimp, steak (tender and cut into small pieces flavored wonderfully) and the garlic noodles. I would go back and try the rest of the food next time I am in San Mateo. Oh and the drinks are really good. Again unusual and delicious. I don't usually say that about a drink!

• Visited April 2012