Rosewood CordeValle
La Quinta
$115
$107
Agoda.com
All reviewsgolf resortgolf shopthe fine dining restaurantiron grillworld class golf coursethe men's locker roomgolf packagevilla suitelovely spasan josewonderful resortjetted tubgas fireplacestar resortcomplimentary bottle of wineturn down servicetennis courts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This turned out to be a real gem and surprise for us. We had been wanting to attend the Gilroy Garlic festival for several years now. The festival is held the last weekend of July. We searched the Internet for upscale places to stay in or around Gilroy, CA and the Rosewood CordeValle Resort, located in San Martin, CA was the only 5 star resort within 30 miles of Gilroy (San Martin is 10 miles from Gilroy). We would have had to go to Carmel or Monterey for anything else in this category (45 miles away). We had stayed at a Rosewood property before - the Inn of the Anasazi in Santa Fe, NM, and had had a very pleasant experience there, so CordeValle looked to have potential. We were not disappointed. The property is beautiful. The grounds are very well maintained with lots of fantastic landscaping and a teriffic 18 hole championship golf course. There is a spa on-site, three restaurant/dinning facilities, a large heated and attended swimming pool, tennis courts, a library, hiking trails, and there is also a winery on the property with private tastings available to CordeValle guests. The hotel staff were all very friendly and eager to assist and be helpful. Service in the dinning room was very attentive - as you would expect at a 5 star resort. The quality of the food served was also excellent - a master chef is standard at all Rosewood properties. The wine list was quite extensive. There is inside and outside dinning available. We ate outside since the weather was so nice, and when it got cooler at night, there was a firepit and comfortable seating right there - a place to retire to for dessert and coffee after a wonderful and tasty dinner. Accomodations are in the form of very private bungalows/cottages overlooking the 9th hole, or larger Villas (for families). The bungalow was perfect for the two of us - much larger than a standard hotel room. It had a king sized bed, sitting area with a gas fireplace, large flat panel TV with Dish Network, a desk, Internet access, a very large bathroom with separate jetted tub and shower and double sink vanity. It also had a separate make up area that my wife made good use of - pampering and preening herself. Outside the bungalow, accessible via floor to ceiling glass doors, was a private back patio and lawn area overlooking the golf course, with a dining table, 4 chairs, and two lounge chairs. We spent lots of time watching the wildlife out there. We were met the first day by two fawns right outside on the grass lawn. We also encountered jack rabbits, bunny rabbits, lots of birds and squirrels. There was also a beautiful large Phesant roaming the grounds with a herd of little babies following her everywhere she went. The bungalow entryway had a small kitchen/wet bar area with refrig, fully stocked honor bar, sink, coffee maker, toaster, assorment of barware and utensils. The temperature controls for the room were easy to use and maintained a great climate. There was also a ceiling fan - and very high ceilings. The bedding was high quality with feather pillows and down comforter - sheets were a high thread count all cotton, as you would expect. Maid service came twice daily - with a turndown service in the early evening, so getting towels or having the room freshened-up was always a happening thing. The room was very clean - no dust anywhere. It was a very comfortable accomodation and it was difficult to get up in the morning and get out to do things having such a comfortable 'nest' to hang out in. The facility parking lot was located near the main lodge, so to get to the bungalow you could either take a very nice short walk, or the valets would drive you to your cottage in golf carts. We chose to walk each time instead of ride, so that we could enjoy the beautiful grounds and landscaping, and keep our eyes open for the wildlife. The resort is located in a secluded canyon far away from all hustle and bustle. San Martin has a total population of something like only 4000 people. Most of the surrounding property was agricultural, but there is a small airport nearby - Santa Clara County Airport. At night, you could star gaze and see thousands of stars in the sky and make out the Milky Way very clearly. It was all very romantic, so if you and your spouse are looking for a nice wekend getaway, I highly recommend this place. 10 miles down the road to the south is Gilroy, which has many restaurants and the usual shopping centers with Target, Walgreens, fast food restaurants, etc. The downtown Gilroy area is somewhat desolate, but there was a multitude of antique galleries, and some down home style diners that were good for country breakfast. 10 Miles to the north is Morgan Hill which seemed to be a nicer upscale village, with a quaint street of shops and restaurants (Monterey Street) housed in older restored buildings. There is so much to do in this area, I would have never of expected it. We even visited the air museum at the nearby airport, and enjoyed the large displays of older aircraft. The resort was not very crowded, so it made things even more enjoyable, and we had lots of privacy. I don't know if this is considered an 'off' season for them. Kudo's to the resort staff for their efforts to make our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: There are some very good Internet specials and packages offered - we got a deal where we stayed for two nights and got a third night free!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hshapi
Reviewed August 1, 2011

The rooms were spacious. Loved the high ceilings. Wonderful jacuzzi tub with a view of the hills. The private backyard gave us a chance to see wild turkey and its babies and a jackrabbit! We didn't golf but did check out the pool, which was nice although the water tasted horrible. The staff were extremely helpful. Dinner and breakfast were yummy. Bed heavenly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MelKCE
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a 1-day/night stay at CordeValle. Overall, the full experience and Four Seasons-esque service was amazing, but after a very very average dinner at Il Vigneto that was very pricey, we unfortunately left with a sour taste in our mouths.

From the moment you pull in, the outstanding service and pampering began. We were driven to our room via golf cart and were greeted by name. Our Fairway room was very spacious and perfect. We loved the private fenced in patio with chairs to relax and the fire places in each room-- although it was too hot outside to use. The rooms were fantastic and as nice as you'll find.

The pool was great and the service there continued to be wonderful. In the afternoon, we went to the Spa, where my wife received the Mommy-to-be-Massage and I received the Classic. The therapists were wonderful and the men's locker room was awesome. There was everything you need to relax including steam room, plunge pools, and relaxation room. One of the best I have seen and you realize why the PGA plays here.

Now our only complaints were our experience at Il Vigneto. My wife and I are in late 20s and we sat down outside on the patio over-looking the beautiful golf course. We immediately noticed the Maitre-D explaining wine lists to the many adult guests all around us that were ordering bottles of wine. I felt like a great glass of red wine and asked our waiter what he suggested. I felt slighted because he made a quick suggestion to me for a local wine before ever consulting or referring to the maitre-D as the waiters did to the other guests around us. I felt slighted that because we were young or not purchasing a bottle (because wife is pregnant), that the waiter felt he could suggest anything and I wouldn't know the difference. Moving on... we both ordered the Pop Corn Soup and I wouldn't suggest anyone do the same. It was like warm milk with popcorn kernels dropped in. There was absolutely no spice or flavor and we would learn that would be the theme of the meal. We even saw a table next to us receive complimentary bowls of the soup as they waited for their meals... I wanted to give them a heads up that it wasn't worth the calories. Each course we went on to experience was very underseasoned and bland. I ordered the bone-in ribeye with the ale reduction and my wife the crab risotto along with mac n cheese. The rib eye was overcooked and my waiter noticed immediately and quickly offered a free dessert without question when we were ready. The ale reduction was the best thing on the table the whole night... My wife's risotto was about two spoons full of risotto and a whole fried soft shell crab on top. Again, the risotto was underseasoned and flavorless and fell short. The Mac N Cheese was the same... no flavor. Then, as we finished our meals, we watched the Maitre D go around surprising two separate tables with complimentary desserts, thus cheapening our waiter's offer to us. It was obvious at that point that any screw ups, the dessert was the immediate fall back to soothe the complaint. But, when the restaurant is giving out desserts around us, it doesn't have the same effect. There is only one other option for dinner, but I am sure they share chefs because they have the same menus basically, so CordeValle has you here. The restaurant was very pricey as expected, but the food was very underwhelming. That was the only disappointment of the entire day/night unfortunately. 5-star resort, 5-star service, 3-star food.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bruno16
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Just got back from a trip celebrating my 55th birthday and stayed at the Cordevalle the last night of the trip on our way home from Napa. All I can say is, I wish I had stayed at the Cordevalle the whole 5 days. We stayed in a villa room with the private spa and outdoor shower and had room service for dinner and breakfast because the room was so amazing. The food was off the charts yummy!
I sat in the lounge chair on the patio and just watched all the birds with the binoculars they provided and I have to say, I was in heaven. It was the first time in ages that I was able to experience total silence! (except for the birds) I am a swimmer and the pool was a nice cool temperature for swimming laps. The spa was spacious, clean, and beautiful.
I know that everyone is complaining about nothing to do in the area but the location is perfect weather wise-away from the fog on the coast but not so far inland that you are baking. True, if you are looking for shopping and sky scrapers, this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a relaxing time away from it all, you won't be disappointed.
PS. Can't wait to come back and play this world class golf course that looks so tempting!

Room Tip: Gotta get the villa for a special occassion.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2011

This place was VERY nice. I happened to get a night stay here through my company who was doing a business meeting here. They had some extra rooms and handed them out to some employees. I was one of those lucky employees : )

I think it's super clean and the staff was wonderful.

I do want to say that to me this is a wonderful resort for those who are golfers. It could also be good for a couple wanting to get a way for a night but, since it's in such a remote location and pretty much aimed towards the avid golfer I would suggest possibly looking at other resorts? There's not much extracurricular-wise to do other then the spa, pool, and golf course...It's in a remote area as well. I think it's a clean nice resort but, if you're just trying to get away and go to a nice place and aren't a golfer then maybe you want to consider something elsewhere where there's more to do...However, if laying in a lush bed and having a great view and just relaxing for the weekend is what you want then I highly do recommend this place. VERY expensive...Be prepared for that. The food was wonderful too!

On another note I would say this place is NOT kid friendly. It really is catered towards adults...The pool is all the kids would get out of this place pretty much...

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple