“Large Breakfast Crowd”

Dining options: Breakfast
Lorain, Ohio
“Large Breakfast Crowd”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We were looking for a spot to eat before going to the Huntington, and Colonial Kitchen was what we found. At 11:30 on a Sunday morning we had a ten minute wait before we were seated. Once we saw their extensive affordable breakfast menu, we saw the allure. It was certainly not the physical surroundings which looked like it hadn't been updated since the 60s or 70s. There was paneling on the walls and kitschy dolls and plates in display cases.
I got the tuna melt, my husband got the club sandwich, and our aunt opted for the burger. The sides were either french fries, salad or potato salad. I opted for the potato salad which had more egg flavor than I cared for. I wasn't impressed. The fries, which my husband ordered on the side were large and reminded me of those you get at Red Robin. I think our aunt got the best side with the salad. It was quite large and seemed to have a good variety of veggies in it. We all liked our sandwiches. Mine in particular was on sourdough bread which was a good complement to the tuna. My husband's club was huge and could have fed two people. The prices were very affordable and the clientele consisted largely of families. The service was excellent and you could tell each and every one of the servers hustled. They also helped each other out if they saw the need. Excellent teamwork in that regard.
If you are in the Huntington Gardens neighborhood, I'd definitely recommend stopping here before a long visit.

• Visited March 2014

“Great for breakfast and lunch”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed for a week at the wonderful Langham hotel but tired of paying $50 for breakfast for two. Found Colonial Kitchen less than 5 minutes away on Huntington near Oak Knoll. Enjoyed 4 of the best breakfasts I can recall at half what we were paying at the Langham.

The Colonial Kitchen omelettes and potatoes were xnt. They make their own sausage patties that are bigger than I have ever seen. One pattie is enough and they give you two(!).

Three days I had Eggs Benedict... Usually you get a little sauce and the muffin is soggy. Here they give you a lot of xnt tangy sauce, and the the fast speed of service at Colonial means that the muffin is still fairly crisp.

The best part is that they serve FRESH SQUEEZED OJ! You get a big glass - and not padded out with ice. So very good value for this hard to find item.

Rosa was a wonderful breakfast server and actually remembered our orders from day to day so we felt like we were valued frequent customers.

The clientele are olde world San Marino residents and this place was remembered by a relative who was here 50 years ago(!). Even though today it's owned by Chinese, they have kept everything the same way. For lunch we enjoyed meatloaf, filet of sole and liver and onions (don't ask who). All large portions and good.

The only discordant event was getting a peach pie (not homemade) and finding a green blob in it that gave off a green powder when moved on the plate. That sure looked llike mold to me. But the lunch server insisted it was "just" burned(!)

I would have knocked two stars off for that, but next am Rosa was equally aghast and immediately deducted the cost from our bfast tab when I mentioned it. So they get a star back for that. But I would normally give this place 5 stars for breakfast or lunch. Next time we're in San Marino we will be back for bfast.

Visited January 2014
Pasadena, California
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I had a gift certificate and decided to try this - the name was appealing and the menu seemed like a good one, plus it was close to where we live.

There was only one other couple in the place on that Sunday evening, maybe most people had eaten lunch earlier.

We ordered what looked to be a good choice but when it arrived it was tasteless.The rice was unappealing and the chicken was tasteless. My husband did not finish his potatoes and meat. It was disappointing. We could not use the gift certificate which was for $25 because you had to spend $45 or over to redeem it, and our meal came to $43 and pennies. It certainly was not worth that much.

Ambience was great though, nice old fashioned style decor.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Pilgrim1425
San Gabriel, California
“Old time ambiance”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Colonial Kitchen is an old fashioned coffee shop, great place for a quiet breakfast. Food is good, we can always count on a good, hearty, well -prepared meal.

This place is much larger inside than it looks. We've only ever had breakfast here, but the lunch & dinner menu looks good...there are always cars in the parking lot at those times.

• Visited April 2013
Pasadena, California
“Pleasant atmosphere”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We came to Colonial Kitchen tonight because after having drinks at Northwoods and it was so cotton picking cold there we wanted somewhere that didn't keep the dining room at sub zero.

We used to come here a lot as my husband really liked their breakfast. I usually would have the fried chicken which has a really good crust with a touch of sweet maple syrup, very good, and very good country gravy on their mashed potatoes.

This is one of the few places that give u both soup and salad, and the soup is home made, no canned soup here. I also love the fact that they give corn for a veggie rather than that half cooked broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix.

They have a board with a number of specials. Tonight we had Roast Beef on noodles, it was very good.

The review always asks if it is a romantic place,.....well not really, but it is clean, well lit, and service is very good.

Sylvia is our favorite waitress here and this is basically a ""mature"" restaurant and tonight we were happy to see so many customers as sometimes it is nearly empty and I would hate to see this good restaurant close. It is a very nice place with a lot of regulars that u can see each week, all greeted very nicely by the staff.

If you enjoy, good American food, then you will enjoy this.

• Visited February 2013